Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

What if Luongo outplays Schneider?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Poll: What if Luongo outplays Schneider? (55 member(s) have cast votes)

Luongo or Schneider if Luongo is playing better

1. keep Luongo trade Schneider (22 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Keep Schneider trade Luongo (33 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

So what if we don't trade Luongo and he ends up outplaying Schneider, kind of like a reverse of what happened last year. In this situation would you rather keep Luongo and trade Schneider (who would probably get us a better return) or keep Schneider because he's younger, can only get better, he's also cheaper. I personally don't think this is going to happen, but it would be very confusing for canucks management if it did.
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#2 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

AV will probably play the goalie who plays better.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#3 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think, from listening to the rumors that Lu has asked for a trade. So even if schneider gets out played it is still Lu that's going to get shipped out.

Posted Image

#4 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,477 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'm the same - Luongo will be traded - whether it's before the season is over or not - that's another story.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#5 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I think that regardless of what happens this season, Luongo will be traded. Schneider has won the starting job and it is his now. I don't see any situation where Schneider is traded before Luongo.

#6 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'd say trade Cory because of the better return.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#7 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

His trade value goes up.

#8 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yah so what if Luongo just plays lights out and the team goes lights out and they go on like 15 game winning streak or something ridiculous like that.

#9 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

There is no way, under ANY circumstances that Gillis keeps Luongo and trades Schneider. I'm not sure why you'd even make a poll about it.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#10 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

POPULAR

There is no way, under ANY circumstances that Gillis keeps Luongo and trades Schneider. I'm not sure why you'd even make a poll about it.

Because all the Lou lovers are like drowning swimmers, clutching at straws to keep them afloat.

#11 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Is this:

a.) Luongo in one of his "typical slow starts" (as per another thread in this forum) outplaying Schneider, or is it

b.) Luongo playing amazingly well and Schneider also playing amazingly well, but Luongo is playing that little bit better (kind of like last season)?

These are two completely different scenarios.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#12 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Because all the Lou lovers are like drowning swimmers, clutching at straws to keep them afloat.

I personally think we should keep Schneider, but I was watching some video and I think it was TSN guys that mentioned something like this could happen and I thought it was interesting.

#13 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yah so what if Luongo just plays lights out and the team goes lights out and they go on like 15 game winning streak or something ridiculous like that.

What if Luongo wins his next 100 NHL games? Do we keep him then? What if he cures AIDS?

#14 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

What if Luongo wins his next 100 NHL games? Do we keep him then? What if he cures AIDS?

Were that the case, I think the Canucks would go with Schneider. For Luongo to cure AIDS he'd likely have to spend a lot of time away from the rink.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 15 January 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#15 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

The goalie who plays better in the playoffs? C'mon this is not about the reg season, even if Lou plays better the Canucks are smarter then to take another chance with Lou. It's over done move on, nothing to see.

#16 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I like Lu and all, but it seems a bit late to reverse our position to me. I suppose it Lu plays miles ahead of Schneids, then maybe.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#17 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

All am hoping is that Cory doesn't become another Steve Mason...I was looking at both goalies stats after 68 games of their careers in the NHL and they are very close to eachother.Mason played infront a very bad team compared to the Canucks and now we know what has happened to him since his become more less a back up and now has a .500 record....I would keep Lu and trade Cory.Stat wise Cory has started only 56 games out of the 68 regular season games. And atleast I know Lu can take us to the finals with Cory we lost in the 1st round....LU all the way.

Steve Mason's record after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)23 - (SOL)7
(Mins)4124 (GA)167 (SO)10 (GAA)2.29
(SV%).925
Cory's Stats after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)17 — (SOL)4 (Mins)3639 (GA)136 (SO)4 (GAA)2.24 (SV%).928

Edited by Mclean1, 15 January 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#18 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

All am hoping is that Cory doesn't become another Steve Mason...I was looking at both goalies stats after 68 games of their careers in the NHL and they are very close to eachother.Mason played infront a very bad team compared to the Canucks and now we know what has happened to him since his become more less a back up and now has a .500 record....I would keep Lu and trade Cory.

Steve Mason's record after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)23 - (SOL)7
(Mins)4124 (GA)167 (SO)10 (GAA)2.29
(SV%).925
Cory's Stats after 68 NHL games: 68 (w)38 (L)17 (SOL)4 (Mins)3639 (GA)136 (SO)4 (GAA)2.24 (SV%).928

I was hoping that Cory doesn't become another Lou and melt down in the playoffs every year. I would keep Cory.

#19 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

POPULAR

I was hoping that Cory doesn't become another Lou and melt down in the playoffs every year. I would keep Cory.

Lu took us to the Finals what has cory done in the playoffs other then a 1st round departure...if its what have you done for me lately which it seems with alot of Nuck fans then the samething applies to Cory what has he done lately..

#20 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think that regardless of what happens this season, Luongo will be traded. Schneider has won the starting job and it is his now. I don't see any situation where Schneider is traded before Luongo.

Schneider hasn't "won" anything... Don't be ignorant and just listen to the media outlets flaming this BS to you. Schnedier got 1 start in the playoffs, that's not earning or supplanting anything more than what it was, 1 game.

Luongo is still the better goalie, Schneider hasn't even played half a season, who knows if he can carry his good play from 20-30 games a season up to 50-60 like Lu can do without affecting his high level of play!

#21 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Lu took us to the Finals what has cory done in the playoffs other then a 1st round departure...if its what have you done for me lately which it seems with alot of Nuck fans then the samething applies to Cory what has he done lately..

.960 save % in the last playoffs.

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,849 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

I'm glad you can make such absolute statements with 100% certainty. I didn't know this was Mike Gillis' secret CDC account!

Whoever is traded will most likely be the one that offers the best return in comparison to their value with the club. Schneider's future is brighter, and his value to other teams is greater, but the offers haven't been enough to make Gillis want to trade Schneider over Luongo. If a team offers an amazing deal for Schneider that we can't refuse, Gillis will take it, but it's still most likely Luongo is dealt.

It's only marginally about play, and mostly about value gained.

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 11:18 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#23 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Hang onto both guys until the end. Yeah, well I kind of would like to see both goaltenders win the Cup.

Realistically speaking, it would be difficult to trade Luongo and get full value. There are options, but they are highly limited.

#24 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Luongo is still the better goalie, Schneider hasn't even played half a season, who knows if he can carry his good play from 20-30 games a season up to 50-60 like Lu can do without affecting his high level of play!

Who knows if Luongo will choke in the playoffs again? It's happened in the past a few times. I don't believe Schneider has had a chance to be a starter and choked before.

#25 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Huh? The reason Schneider "lost that series" was because he was replacing Lou who couldn't win us a game. That's fair too about the finals, obviously we can conclude if Schneider was in net that we wouldn't have made it that far . Sound logic

#26 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I think it's only logical to play the goalie who is playing better.

Edited by Jaku, 15 January 2013 - 11:39 PM.

R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#27 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

Realistically I don't see how anyone can say luongo is a better goalie based purely on him having more experience. Comparing the two it is obvious Schneider is more technically skilled and quicker.

#28 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Who knows if Luongo will choke in the playoffs again? It's happened in the past a few times. I don't believe Schneider has had a chance to be a starter and choked before.

he did choke in his first playoff start against chicago :emot-parrot:

#29 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

You have a short, selective memory ! Lou gave up 7 goals in 2 games, Cory 4 goals in 3 games. Lou dug us a pretty deep hole in losing the first 2 games.

#30 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

In that case, I see no reason to prevent Luongo from playing. It isn't like his trade value is sky high at the current moment anyways...might as well keep him until teams offer more for him if Gillis really wants to make a trade.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.