29 replies to this topic

#1 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Joffrey Lupul to a five-year, $26.25 million contract extension through the 2017-18 season.
Lupul is currently making $4.25 million in the final year of his current deal and would have been eligible to be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
“Joffrey has proven to be a dynamic offensive player and since joining our hockey club he has fit in extremely well with our team,” said Leafs senior vice-president and general manager Dave Nonis in a statement. “His alternate captaincy is well deserved and, by signing this extension, we look forward to him playing a large role with the Leafs for many years to come.”
The extension includes a limited no-trade clause, which allows the Maple Leafs to request a 14-team list from Lupul.
Lupul, 29, played 66 games in 2011-12 and ranked second on the Leafs in goals (25), assists (42), points (67) and power play goals (eight).
At the 2012 NHL All-Star Weekend in Ottawa, he was the assistant captain for Team Chara and scored two goals in the NHL All-Star Game.
In 517 career NHL games with Toronto, Anaheim, Philadelphia and Edmonton, Lupul has registered 323 points (151 goals, 172 assists) with 313 penalty minutes. The Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta native was originally selected seventh overall by Anaheim in the 2002 Entry Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414053

Edited by D.Doughty, 20 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#2 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm a Lupul fan; good signing
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#3 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

If he can perform, then great signing

Edited by Henrik Sedin, 20 January 2013 - 10:36 AM.

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#4 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

@DarrenDreger: 5 year ext for Lupul. $5.25 average salary. Ltd no-trade. Leafs can request list of 14 teams. #TSN

I know it's not the same position, but this deal makes Edler's look that much better.

Good deal for Lupul. Don't think he left much on the table though.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Players only leave $ on table to stay on a winning team or if they were drafted by a team and spent their entire career there. Not too many UFA come to TO for a number of reasons and being a bad team is one of them.

TO overpaid Lupul by 500k per year.

#6 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Lupul paced for 83 points last year. The guy has missed a lot of games in his career, so that's the big drawback when it comes to Lupul.

But 200+ pound winger who can score 83 points is pretty valuable. Only 4 players last year finished with more than 83.. and only 7 players finished ahead of Lupul in P/G.

Also key is that the contract doesn't begin until next year.

Edited by Teemu Selšnne, 20 January 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#7 votrechien

votrechien

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Pretty reasonable signing.
No advertising please.

#8 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Players only leave $ on table to stay on a winning team or if they were drafted by a team and spent their entire career there. Not too many UFA come to TO for a number of reasons and being a bad team is one of them.

TO overpaid Lupul by 500k per year.

I'd take Lupul on my team any day at just over 5M per year vs. Burrows or Booth at 4M+. If TO overpaid, you must feel terrible about those two contracts.

#9 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

That's a fair deal for Lupul. He's a good player in Toronto and has chemistry with Kessel.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#10 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'd take Lupul on my team any day at just over 5M per year vs. Burrows or Booth at 4M+. If TO overpaid, you must feel terrible about those two contracts.

I won't compare Booth, as he doesn't have the benefit of the Sedins or Kessel. He has put up good points in the past and I suspect he will do that for Van as well.

Burrows has similar points to Lupul, but has been more consistent due to having the Sedins as linemates. Lupul will probably experience the same success with his high scoring linemate (Lupul gets most of his points as assists). Burrows has proven that he can score without the Sedins and can also be considered a "clutch' player. IMO, Burrows brings a lot more to his game. He is fantastic defensively and can play a variety of roles on his team. His +/- is always good (unlike Lupul). I would prefer to have Burrows on my team over Lupul.

#11 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,669 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Solid deal, seems about right.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#12 inder19

inder19

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

overpayment is all relative to the team. Lupuls contract is good compared to what he may have gotten on the open market, fits the leafs cap so its a good signing. If you are comparing to the canucks then yea he got overpaid. Doubt LA, Chicago, Vancouver think its a good signing when the comparable's are Sharp and Burrows, Brown.

#13 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

I won't compare Booth, as he doesn't have the benefit of the Sedins or Kessel. He has put up good points in the past and I suspect he will do that for Van as well.

Burrows has similar points to Lupul, but has been more consistent due to having the Sedins as linemates. Lupul will probably experience the same success with his high scoring linemate (Lupul gets most of his points as assists). Burrows has proven that he can score without the Sedins and can also be considered a "clutch' player. IMO, Burrows brings a lot more to his game. He is fantastic defensively and can play a variety of roles on his team. His +/- is always good (unlike Lupul). I would prefer to have Burrows on my team over Lupul.

Booth would have finished 9th on the Leafs last season in scoring. That's the brutal Leafs team. And a couple of the scorers who beat him were defensemen.

I don't know what makes you think he'll score more points in the future; other than he's a Canucks player and your a Canucks fan.

#14 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Overpaid by 1.25

#15 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's hard not to be positive on the Canucks. Almost all players on Toronto don't have + because they're just a bad team. Even Kessel has minus but it seems as if the Leafs +/- are getting better so I would bet that lupul puts up a good 40points this season and is positive with Bozak and Kessel. That's a good line, good chemistry. I think his contract is worth it being in Toronto.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#16 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Booth would have finished 9th on the Leafs last season in scoring. That's the brutal Leafs team. And a couple of the scorers who beat him were defensemen.

I don't know what makes you think he'll score more points in the future; other than he's a Canucks player and your a Canucks fan.

Booth has had quite a few 20+ goal seasons. I was commenting that I think he will continue along those lines. I was not comparing him to Lupul.

Again, Burrows is the superior player, as he is more complete and adds so much more to the team.

#17 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I don't think he'll do well under Carlyle. But who knows how long he'll last.
Posted Image

#18 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,049 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

A bit overpaid..... And if he can stay healthy, I guess not too bad

#19 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,350 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Loving this signing.

Not many players can do what Lupul does when healthy.

iM9vOuM.jpg

#20 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I'd take Burrows at $4.5 mil over Lupul at $5.25 mil any day, especially when he was making $2 mil chump change for the past 4 years and has had multiple 30 goal scoring seasons with output of 60-70 points. Plus Burrows is clutch, Lupul not so much.

Posted Image

#21 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

Plus Burrows is also a defensive stud in his own zone compared to Lupul. Burrows is also an agitator and does anything to give the team a win. Burrows >>>>>>> Lupul.

Posted Image

#22 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Difference is that Booth never signed that contract in Vancouver, he signed it in FLA and that is why he has been overpaid. While Lupul has been signed by TO and has been overpaid by them. IF Booth were to sign with Van, he would be signed closer to $3 mil.

Posted Image

#23 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Lupul was only able to get 83 points because he played on the Leafs. You guys think Lupul can put up those numbers on the Canucks? Not a chance. Average player having the oppurtunity to play a weak teams 1st line. He over achieved last year.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#24 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

One good year, playing for a big pay day by just focusing on points. With a history of injuries.

He is a 50-55pt player.

Now he is paid long term, he will vanish.
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. Whats really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?

#25 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

He's injured with an arm injury after taking a shot from Phaneuf. This doesn't look well. The leafs did win 5-2 without him so that's good though! :) Nazem Kadri is doing great!
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#26 FelixPotvin29

FelixPotvin29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Sign a big deal, and then break your arm. atta be.

#27 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I was prophetic.
My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. Whats really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?

#28 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

I was prophetic.

Prophetic?

He took a Phaneuf slapper to the forearm. Yours would be broken, too. Stop trying to stroke your ego, idiot.

#29 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Prophetic?

He took a Phaneuf slapper to the forearm. Yours would be broken, too. Stop trying to stroke your ego, idiot.

That was ridiculous. Just because its an internet forum doesn't give you a right to be that disrespectful to another person. He was just joking around.
Posted Image

#30 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Trip be trippin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.