The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Lupul reups in Toronto

D.Doughty

The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed forward Joffrey Lupul to a five-year, $26.25 million contract extension through the 2017-18 season.

Lupul is currently making $4.25 million in the final year of his current deal and would have been eligible to be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

“Joffrey has proven to be a dynamic offensive player and since joining our hockey club he has fit in extremely well with our team,” said Leafs senior vice-president and general manager Dave Nonis in a statement. “His alternate captaincy is well deserved and, by signing this extension, we look forward to him playing a large role with the Leafs for many years to come.”

The extension includes a limited no-trade clause, which allows the Maple Leafs to request a 14-team list from Lupul.

Lupul, 29, played 66 games in 2011-12 and ranked second on the Leafs in goals (25), assists (42), points (67) and power play goals (eight).

At the 2012 NHL All-Star Weekend in Ottawa, he was the assistant captain for Team Chara and scored two goals in the NHL All-Star Game.

In 517 career NHL games with Toronto, Anaheim, Philadelphia and Edmonton, Lupul has registered 323 points (151 goals, 172 assists) with 313 penalty minutes. The Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta native was originally selected seventh overall by Anaheim in the 2002 Entry Draft.

Players only leave $ on table to stay on a winning team or if they were drafted by a team and spent their entire career there. Not too many UFA come to TO for a number of reasons and being a bad team is one of them.

TO overpaid Lupul by 500k per year.

Lupul paced for 83 points last year. The guy has missed a lot of games in his career, so that's the big drawback when it comes to Lupul.

But 200+ pound winger who can score 83 points is pretty valuable. Only 4 players last year finished with more than 83.. and only 7 players finished ahead of Lupul in P/G.

Also key is that the contract doesn't begin until next year.

Players only leave $ on table to stay on a winning team or if they were drafted by a team and spent their entire career there. Not too many UFA come to TO for a number of reasons and being a bad team is one of them.

TO overpaid Lupul by 500k per year.

overpayment is all relative to the team. Lupuls contract is good compared to what he may have gotten on the open market, fits the leafs cap so its a good signing. If you are comparing to the canucks then yea he got overpaid. Doubt LA, Chicago, Vancouver think its a good signing when the comparable's are Sharp and Burrows, Brown.

I won't compare Booth, as he doesn't have the benefit of the Sedins or Kessel. He has put up good points in the past and I suspect he will do that for Van as well.

Burrows has similar points to Lupul, but has been more consistent due to having the Sedins as linemates. Lupul will probably experience the same success with his high scoring linemate (Lupul gets most of his points as assists). Burrows has proven that he can score without the Sedins and can also be considered a "clutch' player. IMO, Burrows brings a lot more to his game. He is fantastic defensively and can play a variety of roles on his team. His +/- is always good (unlike Lupul). I would prefer to have Burrows on my team over Lupul.

I won't compare Booth, as he doesn't have the benefit of the Sedins or Kessel. He has put up good points in the past and I suspect he will do that for Van as well.

Burrows has similar points to Lupul, but has been more consistent due to having the Sedins as linemates. Lupul will probably experience the same success with his high scoring linemate (Lupul gets most of his points as assists). Burrows has proven that he can score without the Sedins and can also be considered a "clutch' player. IMO, Burrows brings a lot more to his game. He is fantastic defensively and can play a variety of roles on his team. His +/- is always good (unlike Lupul). I would prefer to have Burrows on my team over Lupul.

Booth would have finished 9th on the Leafs last season in scoring. That's the brutal Leafs team. And a couple of the scorers who beat him were defensemen.

I don't know what makes you think he'll score more points in the future; other than he's a Canucks player and your a Canucks fan.

Archived