Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 15 votes

Everybody Loves Raymond (except Jim)...Merged

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
565 replies to this topic

#241 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

I think fans hate on players such as Booth and Raymond because of their contracts. Raymond is solid, but if he was making 1.5M instead of 2M, people wouldn't be so critical of his play and numbers. This is intensified with Booth making 4M, which increases the expectations to 30 goals/60 point numbers.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#242 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

I think fans hate on players such as Booth and Raymond because of their contracts. Raymond is solid, but if he was making 1.5M instead of 2M, people wouldn't be so critical of his play and numbers. This is intensified with Booth making 4M, which increases the expectations to 30 goals/60 point numbers.

Have you seen the pack of asshats that make 1.5 in this league??? Truly compare and thank your lucky stars we have Raymond and Gillis to sign him.

258o0g4.jpg

#243 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Easy gang, 21 has been a disappointment for longer than a 3 goal streak will erase. its nice to see but i want to see him play well for 15 games before we annoint him pavel 2.0

as much as the op is off, so are the fan boys.

good game all aroumd tonight.

Injuries Brick? How about I break your hand this year? And next year I break your back. Let's measure your productivity.

258o0g4.jpg

#244 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Anyone else notice: Kesler out, Raymond's play improves?

Or just anyone who's 1-2nd line centers who is willing to pass. (Temp) Burrows, Higgins/Henrik for 1-2games last year, Hodgson and now JS

#245 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Its great to see raymond have a good couple of outings. Lets hope he can keep it up. I just hope that people who have had such hate for him can lay off. The way I look at it, as long as a player wears a nucks jersey, bashing him seems stupid. You should always be realistic and look at both the negative and postives. But ultimatly only being negative about the players on your team makes you a very lame fan.

#246 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'm noticing that Raymond seems a lot stronger on his legs, his stability has improved from what I saw last year. I like the sudden stops and starts and him being more explosive; not falling down all the time.

Also, he's keeping his head up and while he's a bit slow to make the right decision with the puck, I think he'll get back to being the player he was 2 years ago.

Of note, during his break-out season, Raymond had one of the best corsi ratings in the NHL. Last year, one of the worst.

Anyway, all this to say is that Raymond can be an very effective player, and I don't understand all the hate by some of the "fans" on this site.

-Jagori

P.S.

It bothers me the negativity by some on these boards. I remember the constant trashing Rypien got all the time on these boards. Oh, he is useless, etc. etc. Doesn't belong in the line-up, etc. etc. These players dedicate their lives to entertain us, and sacrifice alot. We all know they get paid well, but when you are under a microscope and give up a "regular" life for hockey, there has to be quite a toll mentally.

While I agree with you that Raymond is a fine player and we should critique and not just spew hate on the boards, its a bit over the top to say they "dedicate their lives to entertain us". I mean c'mon, they make millions a year.

#247 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'll wait until the second line is healthy and got in several games together before actually judging Raymond. All due respect to Ebbett, but he isn't a NHL regular and that is Raymond's playmaker, so.

Oh, gee, look at that. I reserved judgment, showed patience and I don't look like an idiot for criticizing players after two games into the season.
Posted Image

#248 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

Raymond ,after the game was excuding confidence.
Good to see him on top after the hard times.

#249 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

His wrist shot is really what's improved the most.

#250 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

I've been pretty critical of Raymond in the past but I admit that he looks like a new player the last couple of games. What I liked best is that he was actually going to the dirty areas to score, and seemed to do a better job of looking around and making plays rather than just skating around. Let's hope he keeps this up.

#251 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'm noticing that Raymond seems a lot stronger on his legs, his stability has improved from what I saw last year. I like the sudden stops and starts and him being more explosive; not falling down all the time.

Also, he's keeping his head up and while he's a bit slow to make the right decision with the puck, I think he'll get back to being the player he was 2 years ago.

Of note, during his break-out season, Raymond had one of the best corsi ratings in the NHL. Last year, one of the worst.

Anyway, all this to say is that Raymond can be an very effective player, and I don't understand all the hate by some of the "fans" on this site.

-Jagori

P.S.

It bothers me the negativity by some on these boards. I remember the constant trashing Rypien got all the time on these boards. Oh, he is useless, etc. etc. Doesn't belong in the line-up, etc. etc. These players dedicate their lives to entertain us, and sacrifice alot. We all know they get paid well, but when you are under a microscope and give up a "regular" life for hockey, there has to be quite a toll mentally.

They started watching hockey in the last 2 years.

in the first four games this year higgins has looked more like calgary higgins than vancouver higgins.

I agree...I think it's a matter of him showing how versatile he is with roles.

...but even then he still needs some adjustment time, especially with new linemates. The guy went to Yale so hopefully he gets the benefit of the doubt that he's not too slow on the pickup...but that doesn't mean it's instant! Higgins seems like the guy on the team that management uses to fill in the blanks when they plan the lines. It's a double-edged testament to how great the guy is :(...

#252 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

I've given Raymond a hard time for a while now but at the moment he is making me eat my words. It's nice to see him amp up his game. He hasn't been falling down too much and his shooting looks better than it has in quite some time. Credit where credit is due, congrats Raymond on a couple of very good games, keep it up.

#253 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Yep Raymond looking pretty good so far.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#254 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,545 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Lol

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#255 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Homer Hall Of Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,456 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yeah, ok...one of the guys producing points for us and you want to ditch him.

And knock off the insults, Jim...you've taking the whole Lahey thing a bit too far.

Jim? Where'd ya go?

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#256 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Cmon...where are ya Jim? Show yourself...eat some crow!
Posted Image

#257 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Injuries Brick? How about I break your hand this year? And next year I break your back. Let's measure your productivity.

its not the injuries, its smart hockey people who see a bundle of talent thats skates with the puck towards the net and scares to the corner only to fall down. he has a drinking game after his play and people are always hammered who play. better so far this year, but thats three games.
I Love Lamp...

#258 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

its not the injuries, its smart hockey people who see a bundle of talent thats skates with the puck towards the net and scares to the corner only to fall down. he has a drinking game after his play and people are always hammered who play. better so far this year, but thats three games.

What you're not getting is that people are saying he's 'better so far this year' because he is fully rehabilitated from the injury. The long off season has allowed him to develop his core strength, which in turn has resulted in improved balance, stronger skating and better puck control. I don't see the reported falling down or perimeter play this year. His growing confidence in his abilities will also improve his play.

So it looks like the fans that need a whipping boy may be shifting their hate to Booth now. Once again, ignoring a player's injuries. Of course he will be rusty when he comes back, so the public flogging will be staggering. "Trade him for a bag of pucks" will be the phrase of the day.

#259 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,426 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Christ's sake people calm down wow LOL.

Raymond's doing well, and yes his skating is excellent...

When he's not falling.

This is one of the weakest "arguments" against Raymond and it's like some moronic rallying cry for his detractors.

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but I suppose this is the time: Who cares if he falls down a lot?

There's a guy in Philly that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to have in Vancouver: Scott Hartnell. Guess what? Scott Hartnell falls down. A lot. In fact, there was an intermission feature that ran about it during the playoffs called "Hartnell Down".

Some of us have realized that Raymond was and is a good hockey player who had to battle through a series of debilitating injuries. Now we're seeing the results of the patience shown by the Canucks.

Hope you all learned something.

UFA year, not surprised MayRay doing well, most NHL players play better in contract years.

Right. Nothing to do with finally being completely healthy. :rolleyes:

"Smart hockey people"? Are you referring to yourself? :huh:

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree. So far this season, Raymond has the "scared", "falling down" and "always hammered" crowd looking decidedly less than "smart".
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#260 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

If you were smart you'd notice that's not what he's doing anymore.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#261 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Have you seen the pack of asshats that make 1.5 in this league??? Truly compare and thank your lucky stars we have Raymond and Gillis to sign him.

I looked at your sig and realized those two player combined average 1.45ish M a year, and than I laughed at your comment.

Of course, Lappy kind of is an asshat sometimes :lol:
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#262 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

nm

Edited by Champions of Nothing, 26 January 2013 - 03:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#263 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I've been pretty critical of Raymond in the past but I admit that he looks like a new player the last couple of games. What I liked best is that he was actually going to the dirty areas to score, and seemed to do a better job of looking around and making plays rather than just skating around. Let's hope he keeps this up.

I know I've been hard on him as well, but he doesn't even look like the old Raymond. Like you said he looks like a diffrent player out there.

#264 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

hahaha,
yup, Raymond had a great couple of moments there, like how a broken clock looks good twice a day, but really, he is a waste of roster space. What a terrific playoff outing he had too... yawn.

Who wants to guess how likely it is that he will be resigned here?! 10-1? 25-1?
I stand by my thread opener.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#265 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Yeah he is as good as gone.

#266 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

So, I make a thread and it gets changed and screwed over by the lefty mods so as to serve the popular opinion of the moment.

Perfect example of what goes on here.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#267 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

If this team wants to have a makeover, bringing useless Raymond back will be going backwards. Other than ok play on the pk and being reliable in the backcheck, Raymond brings almost nothing. Teams don't fear his speed because he'll never drive to the net, and his passes are below par. His shot is getting harder but will never hit the net on a consistent basis.

I'd much rather try a younger player than him in the lineup

#268 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

2013 playoffs:

Raymond: 1G, 1A, 2PTS, +2 rating
Daniel/Henrik: 0G, 3A, 3PTS, -2 rating/ 0 rating
Kesler: 2G, 2PTS, -2 Rating.

Therefore:

Resign Raymond for 6 years at $5 million / year with a full NTC :bigblush:

Sadly time to move on buddy....Im guessing he goes somewhere and lights up for 20-30 goals and around 50-60 points and then never matches it again.

MariOta_zps5d129115.jpg

#269 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

At this point the team loses credibility as a team trying to contend every day that goes by with Raymond still a Canuck....to be fair he's not alone.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#270 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

This is one of the weakest "arguments" against Raymond and it's like some moronic rallying cry for his detractors.

I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but I suppose this is the time: Who cares if he falls down a lot?

There's a guy in Philly that every Canuck fan would absolutely love to have in Vancouver: Scott Hartnell. Guess what? Scott Hartnell falls down. A lot. In fact, there was an intermission feature that ran about it during the playoffs called "Hartnell Down".

Some of us have realized that Raymond was and is a good hockey player who had to battle through a series of debilitating injuries. Now we're seeing the results of the patience shown by the Canucks.

Hope you all learned something.

Right. Nothing to do with finally being completely healthy. :rolleyes:

"Smart hockey people"? Are you referring to yourself? :huh:

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree. So far this season, Raymond has the "scared", "falling down" and "always hammered" crowd looking decidedly less than "smart".

Rupert,

You post some of the most knowledgeable entries in here on a consistent basis....in fact I don't think I've ever disagreed with you...not using that statement to equate my insight with yours.

But:

Comparing Raymond to Hartnell?
Please....
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.