The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

So much of this depends upon Lu. Hopefully they pick the right upcoming games, & he performs well-that is, assuming this takes more weeks to get done.

Imagine if he pitches a couple shutouts, proving he's quickly into the zone? On the other hand, if he has one or two lousy games, it may deter 1 or 2 teams from offering what they might have.

This wknd, should be be given the start in SJ(hot offense/but he plays them well), or LA game,( in the BxB)?

I'm not really sold on these deals with the Caps - I'm not sure their young centers offer enough upside to make them that compelling - and neither Johansson nor Perreault are going to improve the team that much in the present and neither would really be defined as two way players. Laich is also an excessive cap hit imo, particularly for a 3rd line center. I don't really see any of these guys fitting the bill. I'd probably target one of their young blueliners and/or wingers instead.

The caps have an extra six million in cap space at present. They also have 4 UFA and 2 RFA blueliners and have only 43 million cap committed next year.

Luo, Ballard

Alsner, Forsberg, Hendricks

I'm not in the dump Ballard camp - he's much better than these boards suggest and he has looked very good with Tanev early this season, but the Canucks will need to shed some cap in a Luongo deal, and I'd love to see a solid young shutdown guy in the lineup. I also think Ballard has a lot more trade value than most people who throw him into deals like an afterthought - I'd bet he could really flourish in Washington. It's probably a lot more likely to pry Alzner out of Washington, but they'd need to take back more cap to make a deal like above, unless Carlson were included in a (larger) deal- perhaps take some more cap in the form of one of the Caps UFAs that they don't intend to re-sign - add a mid-level pick if they want to include Neuvirth.

The Canucks also have a lot of depth at LW - but no real LW prospects. Forsberg would be nice to have in a couple years.

Hendricks - a good depth center imo - some insurance for this season - a solid, physical defensive center who wins faceoffs and could put some points up with the right player - a low cap hit that doesn't hamper other moves.

I cant believe you brought in Karlsson and Semin into this debate... were talking about about 4th liners here, perhaps i should have elaborated more. But anyways...

Just about every player you mentioned there is better than Malhotra, because they've goot one thing going for them... the ability to play 5 on 5 hockey without being a liability.

Jarrett Stoll doesnt play in the 4th line taking faceoffs, he's actually a useful player that played a huge part of the Kings run.

The fact that your putting Malhotra in the likes of Stoll, Helm, Kelly, Langenbrunner and Sabotka only shows how much you overrate him.

I would take Helm, Kelly, LAngenbrunner and Sabotka any day over Malhotra not even close. and guess what? Malhotra makes more than all of them. Infact the 2 players you mentioned (Sabotka/Langenbrunner) in total cap hit is 2.8m.

For sure. I really don't understand why some people make Brouwer, Laich, etc the main piece coming back in their trade proposals.

The problem with the Canucks is they already have those types of players. Kesler, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, and Booth are all hard working north south type players, but lack elite skill outside of the Sedins. They need to get an elite player back in a trade, even if it is just in the form of potential, and not these fringe second/third liners.

Any of Johansson, Forsberg, Kuznetsov, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, Bjugstad, Gudbranson,Couturier, should be a starting point for the Canucks. Adding a second round pick and Neuvirth ( who would be sitting on the bench most of the time) doesn't justify a Troy Brouwer trade.

Your really overplaying Luongos value just as Gillis did. He had better offers in June but he thought he would get something better if he waited. Teams realize he is desperate and Luongos return will not be as high as most want. Also he has made some questionable moves in regards to the whole situation in my opinion. If he had traded him last summer the Canucks wouldnt have had to pay a portion of Luongos salary once he retires. That is the unfortunate reality at this point

Am I the only one who isn't sold on Wilson?

I think there is a high risk factor that he could be the next Jessiman/Eager personally, he has shown his offensive game more this year which has changed my perspective a bit but prior to that I didn't see any reason to think he could be a 2nd liner.

Johansson would totally help this team right now, he is better than Manny and Better than Lappy, this guy is really good, he was at the level 2 years ago that Hodgson was last year IMO, just to put it into perspective, he is a really dynamic player that would flourish here. He would be the perfect young 3rd line center for this team IMO.

As for your deal it was a terrible overpayment for them man.

Alzner is there Hamhuis, he isn't going anywhere in the first place, then adding Forsberg and Johansson is just terrible from there POV.

I think Johansson, Nuevirth, 2nd is far more likely. Although if they proposed: Johansson, Nuevirth as the only way Johansson is in the deal I would take it.

?

You misread.

And I disagree about Johansson being the ideal third line center - he and Perreault have been in Oates' doghouse because they aren't very good players in their own end of the ice. I see your Hodgson likeness.

He hasn't yet shown the ability to be a solid two way player.

Alzner and Forsberg are not a terrible overpayment for Luongo and Ballard - you seem to have a youth culture perspective of value - a young top 4 blueliner and a first round pick - you're getting carried away devaluing Luongo and Ballard.

Archived