972 replies to this topic

#421 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

The way I see it, Garrison's definitely struggled to both live up to the hype of his huge season last year and to live up to his big contract in a shortened season. But when you strip away all of that, I just see a guy struggling with adjusting to playing in the West on a regular basis, where in general players are much grittier and the D is required to be much tighter. And it's only been 15 games! Kind of reminds me of Andrew Alberts when he first came over (they only differ by a couple million bucks :P ) and look how long it took AA to get comfortable.

I'm not saying we should just accept that Garrison hasn't lived up to his $. I think it's worth discussing so long as there's some perspective to it as well. I thought he had some good moments last game when he was 1 on 1 against Toews but clearly on a whole the D had problems last game (yes, including CDC's pet Ballard who was running around in our own zone just like the other 5 ;) ). Still, Garrison seems like a good team guy though and looks to be improving; hopefully the D shake up won't mess with him too much. Ballard has been fantastic this year so hopefully he can help out.

Edited by marinated.pea, 21 February 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image

#422 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

The funny thing is Garrison took less money to come to Vancouver, Apparently! I think he got better term here and that is how the Canucks have him. With that being said, he has not played very poorly, just not up to expectations. Give him some more time to adjust, I'm very confident he will be better down the road!
:towel:

#423 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I sure hope he proves me wrong, I don't think he's bad but I don't think he will ever be as good here as he was in Florida.

I would rather have gotten a defense man who can play the right side or can at least help with our transition game... since that's clearly what we need.

Just doesn't really make sense to me to have Hamhuis,Edler,Ballard and Garrison who play the left side and all suck on the right............

You're jumping the gun on your assessment. Garrison has barely played the right side yet, he has been playing the left with both Bieksa and Edler. Once he settles in as a right side on the 3rd pairing with Ballard he will be up on that side with Eddy. Our transition game has less to do with any problems from our backend as it does from the coaching of Edler on the PP. If our PP is scoring at a 20%+ rate there would be no complaints to be made.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#424 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Everyone hated Ballard, now they're all on his dick. Same will happen with Garrison. Kill this thread for a year instead of nitpicking little bull.
Posted Image

#425 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Although I don't agree with you, I have to say that if this happens, it really should be the end of Mike Gillis. Reading this and the AV thread, as well as the comments on Booth and Edler only suggest that MGs decisions on contracts have been abysmal.

Again, I do not agree with these opinions, but seriously folks. The people that are being critical of these moves really should be looking at the captain of the ship, not the crew.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say. I don't think Garrison is a bad player, and I don't blame him for taking the contract. If I get offered too much to do a job then I'm not about to step up and tell them I'm not worth it, I'm going to take the money. It's management's fault for giving him that contract at that length. Again, it's not that I'm saying he shouldn't be playing the game, but he is getting paid to put up points and regardless of how stellar his defensive play is, it's not enough because you don't pay purely defensive D that much money.

I hope he proves me wrong, I hope he starts producing, all I'm saying is it's a risky contract to offer to an unproven player because of the length and if it doesn't pan out and he's not earning his paycheque, it makes the most sense to buy him out because of the cap going down. He has a full season after this one to turn it around, but he has to be better than he has been.

#426 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

The way I see it, Garrison's definitely struggled to both live up to the hype of his huge season last year and to live up to his big contract in a shortened season. But when you strip away all of that, I just see a guy struggling with adjusting to playing in the West on a regular basis, where in general players are much grittier and the D is required to be much tighter. And it's only been 15 games! Kind of reminds me of Andrew Alberts when he first came over (they only differ by a couple million bucks :P ) and look how long it took AA to get comfortable.

I'm not saying we should just accept that Garrison hasn't lived up to his $. I think it's worth discussing so long as there's some perspective to it as well. I thought he had some good moments last game when he was 1 on 1 against Toews but clearly on a whole the D had problems last game (yes, including CDC's pet Ballard who was running around in our own zone just like the other 5 ;) ). Still, Garrison seems like a good team guy though and looks to be improving; hopefully the D shake up won't mess with him too much. Ballard has been fantastic this year so hopefully he can help out.

What I see is a guy, like Edler, who had a long term injury during the off season and lockout and is taking a long time to get his game back. They both only started skating a week or two before the season started.

#427 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Garrison gets his second goal of this shortened season, after playing with Canucks for the first time. He's starting to find his mojo. Overhyped? Overexposed? I don't think so.

#428 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Three points in 16 games? justifies his contract? He was selling his offense, we bought it, and it certainly hasn't paid off.
Posted Image

#429 172233

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

The guy just needs some time he'll live up to his hype just give him some time to learn the system and hopefully he uses his big shot more often he's got a mad bomb

Edited by 172233, 21 February 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#430 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

because one game changes the past 15.....

#431 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

He was supposed to score 48 goals, and get an assist every shift he played.
Duh?

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#432 Elliot

Elliot

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

That was one game, one goal. It's safe to say that he hasn't produced as expected so far. With that said, new team, new system, so I think it's to early to pass judgement on him either way.
Posted Image

#433 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Time will tell... At the moment the stats are not in his favor.

Also AV should play him on the left more often.
Posted Image

#434 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,622 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

What, no comments yet since the game tonight? 1 goal and 5 blocked shots in 17:34 of ice time tonight.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#435 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

How long did it take for CoHo, Booth or Kassian to start scoring points when they first started? It's not unreasonable to expect Garrison some time to learn how this elite team works, but I think he's a fast learner, IMO.

#436 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

What, no comments yet since the game tonight? 1 goal and 5 blocked shots in 17:34 of ice time tonight.

Agreed. Garrison looked very good even without the goal. Solid game and more to come.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#437 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

That was better.

#438 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Time will tell... At the moment the stats are not in his favor.

Also AV should play him on the left more often.

hes been playing on the left all season

#439 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Another solid game for Jager Bomb himself.

#440 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Keith Ballard makes everyone look better :ph34r:

Posted Image

#441 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Best game I've seen Garrison play thus far. Wasn't running around in his own end at all.
jersey collection.jpg

#442 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

because one game changes the past 15.....

because a few games on a new team is a fair way to judge a player....
Posted Image

#443 marinated.pea

marinated.pea

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,566 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

What I see is a guy, like Edler, who had a long term injury during the off season and lockout and is taking a long time to get his game back. They both only started skating a week or two before the season started.

That too :P

I believe it. I honestly believe he had more of an effect on Tanev, and not the other way 'round (though playing in Chicago was clearly beneficial to his game as well). Now, I'm not one of those "Ballard deserves better than AV's neverending doghouse treatment!!!1!" types but he really has impressed me this year and Garrison's play tonight has been his best all year so far. Hopefully the pairing continues to work in our favour :D
Posted Image

#444 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,985 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

One of his best games as Canuck tonight. Looking forward to see what he does next game

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#445 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

Three points in 16 games? justifies his contract? He was selling his offense, we bought it, and it certainly hasn't paid off.

and 16 games is enough to declare a guy a bust???

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#446 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

and 16 games is enough to declare a guy a bust???

No, but he hasn't given much in the way of thinking he'll live up to his contract.
Posted Image

#447 Bieksa's Quote

Bieksa's Quote

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

One thing I noticed from all the goals he scored in FLA: he winds up the shot real fast considering how hard it is. The same thing was the case with his goal last game, and I didn't remember seeing him do that before while he was wearing the blue and green.

We need more of that from him .. hopefully he's starting to feel comfortable with our system.

Visit my new Hockey Blog: Five for Roughing!

5ADBI4.jpg

fiveforroughing.wordpress.com

#448 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:15 AM

One thing I noticed from all the goals he scored in FLA: he winds up the shot real fast considering how hard it is. The same thing was the case with his goal last game, and I didn't remember seeing him do that before while he was wearing the blue and green.

We need more of that from him .. hopefully he's starting to feel comfortable with our system.

I noticed his quick wind-up too. He wound up, hit Roussel, got the puck back and wound up again without anyone on the PK having time to do anything about it. Crazy quick for such a hard shot.

Keswho.jpg

#449 deebow420

deebow420

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

why do we always take players from Florida only to get players a shell of their former self?

MG needs to stop!

ya MG stop signing guys like Roberto Luongo... they are shells? and the guy a couple posts above disagrees with signing Bieksa!! Too many general managers and not enough rightous fans... I think some people better start puff puff passing.. all that bogarting has your thoughts all cloudy. i was looking forward to all the "backtracking" on how maybe its too early to tell if Garrison will work out.. looks like maybe he does know how to play hockey after all..

Edited by deebow420, 22 February 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#450 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,567 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:17 AM

I haven't posted in this thread up to now, because I think it's far too soon to declare someone a bust.

While it's true that Garrison has struggled so far, I agree with stawns in that a combination of recovering from a long-term injury, coupled with adjusting to a new team/system has slowed his development. I see enough in his game to believe that he'll get there.

Last night, I thought, was his best game so far this year, with, or without the goal.

Kudos to Bowness, for the new pairings.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.