The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jason Garrison so far?

Go Go Canucks Go

When the hell are we gonna start seeing some of that huge slapshot he's supposed to have?

When he actually gets a chance on the powerplay? He's been taken off the PP now, but when he was on it, I honestly do not remember any time where I thought he was gonna rip one home and instead he totally fracked it up. Set him up for a good look, and he will show you.

Yeah he's been pretty much invisible so far.

Might be a good thing for a dman.

I was actually impressed by him today, looked like the 10-11 Hamhuis out there against Toews

He was really impressive when he took a stupid penalty again and let Hossa walk in front of Schneider untouched. Really impressive stuff!

When he actually gets a chance on the powerplay? He's been taken off the PP now, but when he was on it, I honestly do not remember any time where I thought he was gonna rip one home and instead he totally fracked it up. Set him up for a good look, and he will show you.

Might be a good thing for a dman.

He had been set up many times but he either shoots wide or gets his shot blocked.

I did expect more out of him then what he has shown so far. The first handful of games he looked lost out there as hes adjusting to a new system which is understandable. On the PP, he would skate into the slot and be active but that isn't the way our PP is set up. 2 points though for a guy who was brought in to put up numbers and play on the PP is not good. His shots are not getting through to the net as he is rushed, his skating is average, and overall, he hasn't been as good as I thought he would be. I hope he turns it around the 2nd half of the year and puts up some points. He needs to shoot more with only 23 shots so far in 15 games... he has gotta find a way to get his shot off.

I have seen a couple games where he hasn't even been put on the PP. Heres to hoping he gets better and better each game, I know my hockey pool team I drafted will benefit.

Looks like new D pairs at practice today:

RT @botchford: And the new pairings are Hamhuis-Bieksa, Edler-Tanev, Ballard-Garrison

Rightly so, I think. Tanev deserves the promotion and Garrison definitely deserves the demotion. Poor Ballard - in the doghouse for life lol.

John Garrett brought up a really good point the other day. He said that Garrison comes from a system in Florida where if the D is under pressure in their own zone, they are just supposed to dispose of the puck in a panic and just get it out of harm's way. The Canucks play a system where even under pressure, they are expected to do something with the puck - get it out of harm's way but also try and counter the play into an offensive opportunity. Garrison isn't used to doing that so he keeps messing up.

Perhaps the Canucks would be better off signing players who come from teams with similar defensive strategies to ours. This ways we don't have to retool a player's entire game

I wanted to give him some time but now I'm starting to worry... He often looks brutal out there, in a way that has nothing to do with a new system or whatever. Sloppy, lazy little plays with the puck and he can't seem to make a play out of his own zone. And then you have the offensive end where he went from shooting the puck wide 10 times a game to not shooting at all. What the hell is going on?

Wow, I'm really not surprised by peoples reactions to Garrison even though he is a +6. The numbers havent been there, but he isnt on the power play either. The Canucks power play was struggling early on and so the Canucks were mixing things up, even having Daniel on the point. I really like what he has done defensively and I figure he will round into form in the offensive end of the rink.

I knew Garrison wasn't going to play close to as good as he did in Florida, he had a flukey year offensively and had Campbell setting him up all day long.

How do you score 16 goals and then next season not even be able to hit the net at all? It's not the system, that has nothing to do with someones accuracy and it's been more then enough games where he should be comfortable enough to atleast get a damn shot on net. Even just his slap shots miss the net.

There's no pressure in Florida and they play a way different system compared to here which is why the players always play worse here imo.

I'm sick of Gillis getting project players or players who have to take a whole season just to learn our system when it sucks anyways..................

Why are we paying 5 mill to a shutdown defense man who isn't even that good at shutting people down and can't even play on our top pairing let alone the top 4 right now.

Bieksa and Garrison make too much money for the level of play they bring......... sorry to tell ya'll.

Garrison is #4 on a good team imo, should not be paid 5 mil...........

That is my rant for the day.

Last night's goal. Burrows can't move the puck along the wall, then Garrison is tied up by Saad so he can't check Hossa. Get over it.

Shows it pretty well there. Hossa comes unmarked out of the corner and Garrison is in front covering the man there, who essentially blocks Garrison from getting to Hossa if he wanted to.

Last night's goal. Burrows can't move the puck along the wall, then Garrison is tied up by Saad so he can't check Hossa. Get over it.

This vid shows why our defensive strategy/mentality needs to change, and it all starts with the coaches. Take a look at Bieksa and only him. He is nowhere near Hossa when he gets the puck and heads towards the net, why? Because he was expecting Burrows to get the puck on the boards and start breaking out... he was thinking offence when we didn't even have possession yet. He floated around and was about to head up the ice with our forwards but their player stopped the puck and Hossa did what Hossa does and drove to the net (with no one in his way) and made a great power move around Schneids. Garrison did the right thing in tying up the other guy, it was BK3's offence-first mentality that lead to this goal, which IMO is our coaches fault. Same reason why we get caught pinching all the time, ALWAYS thinking offence first, but defence wins games.

Totally not Garrison's fault and all Bieksa.

Archived