The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gallagher Sucks

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

If I have one complaint about the Canucks entertainment value, it would be the intermission on the Sportsnet broadcasts when they line up these catatonic dweebs. What an absolute snore. Are you kidding me? Propping up Gallagher and MacIntyre on television...it's embarrassing.

Gallagher speaking - now that's entertainment. Can I please have more Gallagher between periods? I get the sense he's been re-animated or something. He's about as entertaining as that spinning circle that drives me nuts as I wait forever for the goddamn Luongo thread to load.

These guys have faces and voices for print media, and print media fit for alphabet soup.

Hey Tony,

Alphabet_soup_by_fernz.jpg

I think Gallagher loves the canucks.

But I also know that he doesn't know enough about hockey - and he wants to keep it that way. If he did know more about hockey, he could turn into an aaron ward-type on the tsn panel - someone who is very realistic and knowledgeable about when things are going well or not, but cannot generate the large readership/viewership by himself.

Gallagher can't afford to learn the details of the game of hockey, since this bit of ignorance allows him to create controversial articles in a genuine way. If he knew the in's and out's more, he couldn't emotionally project the small doubts of the people on the Canucks. Gallagher plays to his limited strengths and knowledge of the game, and utilizes it to dig into any doubts that people may have, or may perceive about the team - and you get readers who comment and discuss.

Unfortunately, all these created discussions are essentially drivel, because the Canuck team's execution, tactics/strategy, etc aren't what's talked about. Rather the population is encouraged to constantly question the decision making of Gillis, AV, or the heart and potential of players of which we have nowhere near enough information to conclude anything worth of value (thus producing more armchair GMs, less students of the game).

I think Gallagher loves the canucks.

But I also know that he doesn't know enough about hockey - and he wants to keep it that way. If he did know more about hockey, he could turn into an aaron ward-type on the tsn panel - someone who is very realistic and knowledgeable about when things are going well or not, but cannot generate the large readership/viewership by himself.

Gallagher can't afford to learn the details of the game of hockey, since this bit of ignorance allows him to create controversial articles in a genuine way. If he knew the in's and out's more, he couldn't emotionally project the small doubts of the people on the Canucks. Gallagher plays to his limited strengths and knowledge of the game, and utilizes it to dig into any doubts that people may have, or may perceive about the team - and you get readers who comment and discuss.

Unfortunately, all these created discussions are essentially drivel, because the Canuck team's execution, tactics/strategy, etc aren't what's talked about. Rather the population is encouraged to constantly question the decision making of Gillis, AV, or the heart and potential of players of which we have nowhere near enough information to conclude anything worth of value (thus producing more armchair GMs, less students of the game).

Sports writers always have to find something to talk/write about, its their job, so don't take it so seriously. That said, Tony was right, the Canucks are being out played quite consistently this year, and are boring to watch, but its early. The canucks passing on the whole has been brutal, even the Sedins are struggling. Kesler and Booth are capable of sparking the team, if they ever learn to pass the puck, especially Kesler. Kassian is working out very well with the Sedins, and if Kesler, Burrows, and Booth can spark some offense from the second line, things will improve. All is not lost, yet.

Luongo has been awesome this year, I've always liked most of Luongo's game, but he was usually brutal in shootouts, and could be mentally worked in the playoffs. For that reason I was fine with the possible goalie change, but being told he's no longer number one, has really sparked something in Luongo, its too early to tell, but this is going to be interesting to watch. If Luongo does get traded it will just Vancouvers luck, if Luongo all of a sudden became the shootout King, and mentally unbeatable in the playoffs.

Marchand didn't say that until after the interview. Gallagher could have shut up Thornton if he'd brushed up on his stats beforehand to have an argument in the first place, but then he didn't really know he'd be on there, or that Thornton would lie in rebuttal to Gallagher's key points.

Thornton lied about having fought multiple times in a game before and Thornton lied about not knowing it was McQuaid that Weise was challenging.

Sure, Gallagher came off looking like a chump but who in the Boston media cared that Thornton was lying through his teeth?

What, so you want people from our town to just fall in love with whatever kind of performance the Canucks deliver. They played terrible on Friday and Luongo was the only bright spot maybe he was so good you guys couldn't see how awful the rest of the team was playing. Canucks get one goal and your mad at Gallagher for tearing this team up. Really. CDC needs Antipsychotic you guys are bipolar. If we lost you would all be singing a different story.

Gallagher is a shriveled ferretty squirrel, as many of you say.

But he is also easily the most well-written and well-spoken hockey journalist in Vancouver, and BY FAR the most intelligent person that ever appears on the Team 1040, along with his only competition in that regard, John Shorthouse.

Yeah, he uses a lot of hyperbole. But most of the time he uses it to good effect and humour.

I just don't see how, of all people, you would single out Gallagher for bad journalism.

If you guys think Gallagher is anti-Canucks you have little experience outside of Vancouver sports writers. I would say that in my experience Canucks media cheer for the team like no other group in the NHL. Ed Willes is great but beyond him they all seem to be cheer leaders.

The above mentioned article is far from harsh. This supposed high-scoring team is 19th in goals per game, 17th in power play percentage (mostly comes from one game), and 20th on the PK. Sure they are winning some games but those stats are very concerning for a team that has led or been close to the league lead for a long time. And a young, surprising player has over a quarter of the goals! That's not what you expect from a team laden with award winners. Thank goodness for the unbelievable start and energy of Kassian because without him and Luongo playing the way they are the roof would definitely be falling in here.

With the exception of the Canucks' performance on the power play, I thought it was a great game. No, it was not end to end rushes between the Sedins and Hossa/Kane/Toews, however it was great to watch the battle for space. This was the case of two teams who hate each other, but who also respect one another's ability and weren't willing to give away anything.

Mentally, it is extremely difficult to play such a tight checking game, and I enjoyed watching it play out

Archived