78 replies to this topic

#31 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

What, so you want people from our town to just fall in love with whatever kind of performance the Canucks deliver. They played terrible on Friday and Luongo was the only bright spot maybe he was so good you guys couldn't see how awful the rest of the team was playing. Canucks get one goal and your mad at Gallagher for tearing this team up. Really. CDC needs Antipsychotic you guys are bipolar. If we lost you would all be singing a different story.

#32 Skate or Don't

Skate or Don't

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:55 AM

You just kept him employed OP

so taco

#33 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

Gallagher is a shriveled ferretty squirrel, as many of you say.

But he is also easily the most well-written and well-spoken hockey journalist in Vancouver, and BY FAR the most intelligent person that ever appears on the Team 1040, along with his only competition in that regard, John Shorthouse.

Yeah, he uses a lot of hyperbole. But most of the time he uses it to good effect and humour.

I just don't see how, of all people, you would single out Gallagher for bad journalism.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#34 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

It's very strange that this post is up at the same time that a "Gallagher is awesome" post is also up... But actually, that doesn't surprise me much on CDC!

=P

#35 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

If you guys think Gallagher is anti-Canucks you have little experience outside of Vancouver sports writers. I would say that in my experience Canucks media cheer for the team like no other group in the NHL. Ed Willes is great but beyond him they all seem to be cheer leaders.

The above mentioned article is far from harsh. This supposed high-scoring team is 19th in goals per game, 17th in power play percentage (mostly comes from one game), and 20th on the PK. Sure they are winning some games but those stats are very concerning for a team that has led or been close to the league lead for a long time. And a young, surprising player has over a quarter of the goals! That's not what you expect from a team laden with award winners. Thank goodness for the unbelievable start and energy of Kassian because without him and Luongo playing the way they are the roof would definitely be falling in here.

#36 canuktravella

canuktravella

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

com cast ripped gallagher apart in that interview wow thats embarassing, as much as i dislike the bruins weise should have maned up and fought thorton thats a coward move lost alot of respect on weise for that wow

#37 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,844 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

BD71 is on it.
Gallagher is actually pretty accurate here.

#38 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

With the exception of the Canucks' performance on the power play, I thought it was a great game. No, it was not end to end rushes between the Sedins and Hossa/Kane/Toews, however it was great to watch the battle for space. This was the case of two teams who hate each other, but who also respect one another's ability and weren't willing to give away anything.

Mentally, it is extremely difficult to play such a tight checking game, and I enjoyed watching it play out

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#39 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

It was boring.

The hawks flames game last night was far better.

Just sayin'.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#40 Dan G.

Dan G.

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

tsn guys are so much better then what we got

Are you kidding they are the worst of all. Especially Ferraro the most negative against Canucks

#41 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,910 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

What, so you want people from our town to just fall in love with whatever kind of performance the Canucks deliver. They played terrible on Friday and Luongo was the only bright spot maybe he was so good you guys couldn't see how awful the rest of the team was playing. Canucks get one goal and your mad at Gallagher for tearing this team up. Really. CDC needs Antipsychotic you guys are bipolar. If we lost you would all be singing a different story.

Really? No.

They did not play terrible...did you even watch? We totally outhit them (by a large margin...back later with the numbers). We blocked shots. We played a more defensive style game, but that's ok...you do whatever your opponent dictates and is necessary to get the win. The Hawks are a freewheeling, offensive team and, with that, we outplayed them in shutting them down. They generally average 3 goals or so per game and they got one - so you tell me who succeeded/failed in that? The final score would indicate that the team did something right...it's not like they outshot us by a huge margin or anything. When you can pull the Hawks off their offensive game it rattles them and we were effective in doing that.

Did the Hawks try to pour it on at times? Yes, they did, but we responded to that. They're used to pushing us around and getting away with it but that's no longer the case. So their gameplan wasn't effective as a result. They took 3 penalties in the 3rd that would indicate a bit of an unraveling...so that part of our gameplan worked.

Gallagher is now jaded...it's been too long for him. He used to have my respect but I think he's run out of things to say and is now grasping at straws and, at times, all over the map. I heard two different interviews with him over two days, and he changed his tune over the course of them. Went from slamming management for the "goaltender situation" not being handled effectively to the next interview, where he provided answers. So, in doing that, he obviously understands the situation for what it is, but let his own frustration get the better of him. He's sounding whiny, and that means it's likely time to pack it in.

Posted Image

#42 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Sure, Gallagher came off looking like a chump but who in the Boston media cared that Thornton was lying through his teeth?

I don't recall anyone in the Boston media making a big deal out of it. That's kind of my point! Imagine if the roles had been reversed? If that had been a Vancouver player and another team's journalist, our "loyal" media would have absolutely hammered them and made a big thing about it.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#43 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Gallagher has spent his credibility - whether he is right in this instance or not. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" - and that's what we have here. He's been acting like a bitchy automaton for a long time now - rarely bothering to temper it with anything but the kind of hyper-critical pretenses that he simply doesn't have the hockey knowledge to back up. His self-professed authority is a joke. He's a professional armchair without the real knowledge to make it worthwhile - all tedious form, rarely any content.

Edited by oldnews, 03 February 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#44 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Gallagher is a writer. He needs news. If there isn't, he makes some.

Its basically what sports writers do. That's why they "occasionally" produce garbage.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#45 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Is anyone else seeing this garbage? What is this?

http://www.theprovin...8444/story.html

It's always something with this guy. The reason it was a down-tempo game by Canucks-Blackhawks standards was BECAUSE of all the hype and the Keith-Sedin thing and so many commenters being out for blood. Nobody wants to see another Bertuzzi situation! They dialed back the intensity and kept it clean on purpose, there wasn't all that much hitting, there weren't many scrums or penalties, it was a clean, efficient game with lots of nice offensive plays and some excellent goaltending both ways. I have no idea how Gallagher calls that game boring, I was on the edge of my seat, if he wants to see blood he can watch UFC tonight. Gallagher is a traitor and a fool, if it's not the goalie it's the other goalie, if it's not the coach it's the GM, if it's not the top six it's the bottom six. If we're winning, we're not winning convincingly enough or with the proper flair, if we're losing it's time to blow the whole operation up. Reading this tripe, you'd think we'd just lost to Columbus by 10, instead of winning the last two while only giving up a single goal. I say it's well past time Tony Gallagher was run out of this town. Next time he's on the intermission show, someone ought to dump a beverage on him.

It's always something with this guy. The reason it was a down-tempo game by Canucks-Blackhawks standards was BECAUSE of all the hype and the Keith-Sedin thing and so many commenters being out for blood. Nobody wants to see another Bertuzzi situation! They dialed back the intensity and kept it clean on purpose, there wasn't all that much hitting, there weren't many scrums or penalties, it was a clean, efficient game with lots of nice offensive plays and some excellent goaltending both ways. I have no idea how Gallagher calls that game boring, I was on the edge of my seat, if he wants to see blood he can watch UFC tonight. Gallagher is a traitor and a fool, if it's not the goalie it's the other goalie, if it's not the coach it's the GM, if it's not the top six it's the bottom six. If we're winning, we're not winning convincingly enough or with the proper flair, if we're losing it's time to blow the whole operation up. Reading this tripe, you'd think we'd just lost to Columbus by 10, instead of winning the last two while only giving up a single goal. I say it's well past time Tony Gallagher was run out of this town. Next time he's on the intermission show, someone ought to dump a beverage on him.

It seems CHI has more respect now for VAN than it did in the past. They used to seem pretty cocky and immature but now I think now some of their players have grown up a bit e.g. P Kane. The fact that it was a tight, hockey only game was great. Drama and theatrics are stupid.

As for Gallagher. The guy like to stir the pot with his articles. When he is on the intermission show he is never as snarky. I guess the guy just wants to keep his paycheck by being the overly critical writer on staff.

I'd like to know whether he actually stands behind his opinions.

G4fSut.gif

#46 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

It seems CHI has more respect now for VAN than it did in the past. They used to seem pretty cocky and immature but now I think now some of their players have grown up a bit e.g. P Kane. The fact that it was a tight, hockey only game was great. Drama and theatrics are stupid.

As for Gallagher. The guy like to stir the pot with his articles. When he is on the intermission show he is never as snarky. I guess the guy just wants to keep his paycheck by being the overly critical writer on staff.

G4fSut.gif

#47 snucks

snucks

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

We are all Canucks !

#48 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think there is a misperception that being overly critical can be passed off as a substitute for intelligence. I see it as posturing authority - overcompensation - and it's not convincing.

#49 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Finally a topic we can all agree on! Can we all agree Tony Gallagher looks like Gollum!!!

#50 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Marchand didn't say that until after the interview. Gallagher could have shut up Thornton if he'd brushed up on his stats beforehand to have an argument in the first place, but then he didn't really know he'd be on there, or that Thornton would lie in rebuttal to Gallagher's key points.

Thornton lied about having fought multiple times in a game before and Thornton lied about not knowing it was McQuaid that Weise was challenging.

Sure, Gallagher came off looking like a chump but who in the Boston media cared that Thornton was lying through his teeth?

I am still trying to find video of him fighting 7 guys for a min anyone have link?

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#51 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Gallagher is still a bum hack writer, always trying to stir the pot, he's good at it but he is still a Gollum!!!

#52 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Am I the only one who though he ment Brendan Gallagher?

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#53 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Am I the only one who though he ment Brendan Gallagher?

Or Noel. Or Liam.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#54 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

Brian Burke, is that you?
Posted Image

#55 Cromeslab

Cromeslab

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Don't really have a problem with Gallager in print or on the radio,but man he needs to stay off TV, those bulgy eyeballs freak me out.
Posted Image

"Where you've been is good and gone,all you can keep is the gettin there"Townes Van Zandt

#56 Truckin

Truckin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

Drink the cool-aid.

#57 Clinch16

Clinch16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

com cast ripped gallagher apart in that interview wow thats embarassing, as much as i dislike the bruins weise should have maned up and fought thorton thats a coward move lost alot of respect on weise for that wow

Perhaps we should allow you a mulligan so you can go and do some further investigating as to why Weise didn't fight Thornton. It's quite possible, once you've done that, that your opinion of both Thornton and Weise changes.
Posted Image

#58 cabinessence

cabinessence

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well. We can agree that Gallagher sucked and could have done much better had he been prepared instead of just speaking on emotion.

Good call on that. I have often read people rag on Gallagher without actually analysing what he says/writes. If you look at his comments they are usually well researched and based on a lot of experience covering this team. In that Boston piece they clearly sabotaged him. I also went back and looked at Thornton's fight stats - he never did fight that many times in any game. Thornton also conveniently said he was 210 pounds - one look at him and he is clearly heavier, in fact listed at 217.

More Tony Gallagher:

Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#59 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Gallagher has spent his credibility - whether he is right in this instance or not. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" - and that's what we have here. He's been acting like a bitchy automaton for a long time now - rarely bothering to temper it with anything but the kind of hyper-critical pretenses that he simply doesn't have the hockey knowledge to back up. His self-professed authority is a joke. He's a professional armchair without the real knowledge to make it worthwhile - all tedious form, rarely any content.

Edited because this quote is perfect and sums up Gallagher nicely, with that said my opinion is:

Gallagher is an embarassment, he should go write for a different team.

Edited by Aladeen, 05 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Posted Image

#60 cabinessence

cabinessence

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Edited because this quote is perfect and sums up Gallagher nicely, with that said my opinion is:

Gallagher is an embarassment, he should go write for a different team.

Do you have any examples of this? Gallagher has been an astute student of the game for years. It is too easy to just dismiss his writings without having any examples of where he is erroneous.
Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.