The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins Fading?

cabinessence

This not just a thread to dump on the twins, but they are unlike other "stars". The Sedins took years to develop and seemed to hit a peak. I am sure they are still great players, but I see a similar decline in their games to that of Markus Naslund.

Look at how Naslund took years to get going before peaking and declining from there. I recall the media constantly pondering why Naslund was in a such a slump and not (that I heard) suggesting that he was on the downside of his career.

I am not saying this is by far the case, but Vancouver has had a history of having players develop here into very good players and then fade out because the team believed they would keep it going. Some other names that could be considered are Tony Tanti, Todd Bertuzzi, Petri Skriko...

There's a few things at play here IMO.

-It usually takes a few weeks for the twins to refine their "Sedinery" at the beginning of any season. It's mostly their timing that has been (and currently appears to be) off. Passes are a little late/early/off the mark etc.

-Their was an exceptionally long lay off due to the lockout. I'm open to the possibility it may take them a little longer than normal to "find their groove"

-As good as some of the fill-ins have been playing, missing Kesler and Booth means opposing teams have far less worry about simply keying in on the first line. Hence the twins are dealing with more than "normal" amounts of checking.

As those things begin to resolve themselves, I'm sure we see more of what we're used to ;)

Nah, not faded, just a case of the same ole, same ole. Every team plays their best defencemen against them and these defencemen have figured out their cycle and their passes.

Now, here's a schocker! Time for AV to split them up. Pair Hank with Burrows and Kassian and put Daniel with Schroeder and Hansen. Two #1 lines and not twin cycle for the opposition to key on. That would really mind fart with a few teams.

Oh, I forgot, that would be creative. Sorry, I forgot it was AV I was talking about here. LOL

sedins are way better with burrows burrows dosent just sit infront of the net waiting to get set up for a tap in like kassian. watching sedins with kassian reminds me more less of the anson carter days where the sedins are stuck in the corner to do all the work for carter to get the glory first few shifts back with burrows the play mkaing was way better and front of the net was open for sedins to cycle to the front aswell as burrows and it created more chances.

Oh yeah, Bertuzzi has definitely faded LOL

Nah, not faded, just a case of the same ole, same ole. Every team plays their best defencemen against them and these defencemen have figured out their cycle and their passes.

Now, here's a schocker! Time for AV to split them up. Pair Hank with Burrows and Kassian and put Daniel with Schroeder and Hansen. Two #1 lines and not twin cycle for the opposition to key on. That would really mind fart with a few teams.

Oh, I forgot, that would be creative. Sorry, I forgot it was AV I was talking about here. LOL

Naslund was asked to buy into the defensive system at the time. He was displeased playing in that fashion. Once his contract was up he signed with NYR, so he could play his game again. He would have never left here if the system wasn't so detrimentally defensive.

Everybody always says that you need second-line scoring to take the pressure off the one line. This is common Hockey knowledge. Then when you are missing 2/3rds of your second line and playing a mishmash of 3rd liners and call-ups and the pressure is all on one line, somebody posts a topic about the twins fading. They also have a new linemate with no experience playing with elite players, let alone the Sedins. Give it a rest. Wait until Kesler comes back healthy starts drawing attention and punishing the d and tipping in pucks on the powerplay. Then if the Sedins are under a point a game, you may have something. At this point you are just a typical CDC poster looking for something to complain about. Take away that incredible stinker on opening night and the Canucks are off to an awesome start. Just enjoy it for god's sake! The Sedins had their best seasons when Kesler was having his best seasons, just like everybody says a team needs.

Oh oh! This is it! The Sedins are the new players to trash!! *rolls eyes*.

A) they are older

B) they didnt play all season. IT WAS A LOCK OUT and they didnt go over seas, because of their children

c) they have been playing with Kassian who has no chemistry with them whats so ever.

Now that Burrows is with them, there was that immediate spark right away, you can see it instantly. So shut up. And learn the game of hockey before you post.

Thanks, yes I am a girl.

it is not really a valid discussion topic, its a slow start to the season, still getting their legs back, they make more mental plays and take more punishment than most, still draw most of the attention as we are more a one line team, shut down the Sedins, shut down the Canucks, at least thats how other teams look at it. Thankfully we are getting production from secondary scorers. The Sedins make smart plays and know where to put the puck probably three to four plays ahead of their opposition so I can't really say I see a decline.

• So many intelligent posts here that seem to disregard the point of the original post. Selanne is not an accurate comparision at all! He potted 76 goals as a rookie. The post clearly mentioned how they had a slow rise and could be on the downside now. Seems that there are any people on here witha grade 2 education.

Archived