103 replies to this topic

#61 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

I think they will manage at least 3 (including current) seasons scoring at a .85 ppg or higher.

You also have to remember that we may be 9 games into a 48 game season, but we still have a handful of games against the wild, the flames, and cbj, teams that the sedins make mince meat out of. Also, a lot of defensive burden will be lifted when Kesler returns to the lineup allowing for better Sedin deployment.

I am not saying they will be art ross winners the next few seasons, but I still see them both putting up 45 points this season. A respectable number.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#62 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

The Sedins probably aren't going to score over a point-per-game for a while, unless they have a Marleau-like resurgence.

However, while the twins regress a bit, our younger players are shining brighter. Hansen, Kassian and Raymond have really stepped up their games so far this season (not just for this game) as has Tanev, and Edler. Essentially, our stars are fading but our young guns are playing better, giving us a much more rounded out offence.

Players on the downslide: Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Malhotra, Bieksa
Players on the upswing: Kassian, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Tanev

Schroeder?

zackass.png

#63 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

They are good for Zack but is Zack good for them?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#64 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Oh oh! This is it! The Sedins are the new players to trash!! *rolls eyes*.

A) they are older
B) they didnt play all season. IT WAS A LOCK OUT and they didnt go over seas, because of their children
c) they have been playing with Kassian who has no chemistry with them whats so ever.

Now that Burrows is with them, there was that immediate spark right away, you can see it instantly. So shut up. And learn the game of hockey before you post.

Thanks, yes I am a girl.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#65 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

It's only been 9 games, that is how long pre-season games are. I have no doubt they will be back to their dominant selfs and help is on the way. :)

#66 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

Slow start sure, fading? Not quite, Naslund never recovered from the Moore hit

Exactly.

Have a lot of love for Nazzy, but that hit and his elbow problems changed up his style.

I have no worries for the Twins

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#67 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

This not just a thread to dump on the twins, but they are unlike other "stars". The Sedins took years to develop and seemed to hit a peak. I am sure they are still great players, but I see a similar decline in their games to that of Markus Naslund.

Look at how Naslund took years to get going before peaking and declining from there. I recall the media constantly pondering why Naslund was in a such a slump and not (that I heard) suggesting that he was on the downside of his career.

I am not saying this is by far the case, but Vancouver has had a history of having players develop here into very good players and then fade out because the team believed they would keep it going. Some other names that could be considered are Tony Tanti, Todd Bertuzzi, Petri Skriko...

I'd say It's way too early to tell, It's only 9 games into this season after a LONG layoff. Another poster mentioned how the Sedins were slumping last year as well, there's a logical explanation for that too. The entire team was off last season with the exception of the goaltenders due to the long cup run we had the previous year. Also take into consideration that even NHL All-Stars have off years, take Teemu Selanne for example, when he was around the twins' age he had seasons of 54 and then 32 points, surely he must be declining right? WRONG he comes back and gets 40+ goals and 90+ points in the next 2 seasons. Until the Sedins have 3-4 seasons of declining point totals i wouldn't say they are declining at all.

#68 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Like most of the players in the leage, especially vets ;like the Sedins , their just getting their legs. Talk to us at paly-off time, see if you have the same stupid question.

That's when we worry about them the most!! I think it's a slow start and when Kes takes some pressure off they'll bounce back. OP has a valid question for discussion though and one goal changes nothing.

#69 Sarai_132

Sarai_132

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

Daniel has 7 points in 9 games, Henrik has 6 points in 9 games...with their history multi point nights they could be more than PPG any game now

#70 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

canucks are a one line team at the moment, very easy for teams to key on the sedins and just throw a blanket on them. The PP needs some serious work and our defenseman need to start onetiming the puck to force the PK off the sedins down low plays.

#71 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

OP raises a valid discussion topic, and you morons attack him because they just made one play?

hehe CDC is about 90% retarded. You just have to put up with this sht everytime you make a critical comment, no matter how valid it is. lol.

#72 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

OP raises a valid discussion topic, and you morons attack him because they just made one play?

If you think this is valid, or if you think the reasoning is logical, then I'm afraid to tell you that the ones attacking this topic are not the morons here.

To insinuate, after such a small sample, after such a long off season, after the second line loses two key players that would normally help alleviate a huge amount of pressure off of the Sedins, that the twins have begun to fade ... is absurd.

Furthermore, look at the tear Kassian was on to start the season. Do you, and don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen from Kassian, think that he does as well on any other line?

The problem with topics like this, is that they only seem to be logical with a very cursory glance. They simply do not hold up to scrutiny, they are not well thought out, and they are, quite frankly, annoying to deal with on a daily basis because they distract from intelligent conversation and they drive away intelligent posters that don't want to sort through all the crap like this.

#73 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

If you think this is valid, or if you think the reasoning is logical, then I'm afraid to tell you that the ones attacking this topic are not the morons here.

To insinuate, after such a small sample, after such a long off season, after the second line loses two key players that would normally help alleviate a huge amount of pressure off of the Sedins, that the twins have begun to fade ... is absurd.

Furthermore, look at the tear Kassian was on to start the season. Do you, and don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen from Kassian, think that he does as well on any other line?

The problem with topics like this, is that they only seem to be logical with a very cursory glance. They simply do not hold up to scrutiny, they are not well thought out, and they are, quite frankly, annoying to deal with on a daily basis because they distract from intelligent conversation and they drive away intelligent posters that don't want to sort through all the crap like this.

^listen to this man

#74 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:59 AM

It will take Daniel a full year to get back to form after his concussion-if he ever regains his form,at all.
That split second loss in dementia timing screws up Hank`s healthy timing .
Couple Dan`s loss with having to have a new,rookie winger on that line and they had a slow start.
If Burr can stay with them for even strength play for most of the regular season games(let Kas ride shotgun when the goonery starts,esp. certain playoff teams that target the twins) we should see more of a return to form and statistical norm.

#75 Darkdarth

Darkdarth

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

Sedins will do fine keep Burrows on the first line at least until Kesler and Booth are back. Kassain plays well but a lot of his hype I believe is coming from the Sedins making him look good. Watching the Sedins play with Burrows again they seemed more comfortable and playing a lot more like the Sedins we all know. I think there is a lot to be said about the Sedins talent when they can take a rookie and make him fit in on the line and produce like Kassain did.

#76 TheFastOne21

TheFastOne21

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

The Sedins are elite players. However, like Ovechkin, teams have learned what to expect and plan against it. To counter that Ovechkin is kind of lazy, the sedins are not. It is a matter of the lockout, age and no secondary scoring that has hurt their production thus far. Dont rag on the OP for bringing up a valid point. I dont think they are Art Ross winners anymore, I do think they are elite level talent still and probably for another 2 or so years.

To those that are saying "The Tanev goal says hi." Yes fantastic goal and fantastic set-up. My question is where were the Sedins up until that point in the game. Daniel and Henrik both had bad turnovers in the 3rd and were relatively non-existent. To be a "star" and to win the cup you have to be there night in and night out. I think that is coming here in the next few games and we will see the Sedins of old. I just dont think they are the Art Ross winners a lot of us still think they are anymore.

#77 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Why is AV putting Ballard and Tanev out as the D pairing with the Sedins?
Tanev's OT winner notwithstanding, that pair doesn't generate much from the point and they don't hold the zone very well either. The Sedins spend more time retrieving pucks from their own zone because the D's can't keep it in. Maybe they need a more offensively gifted D pair back there??

I disagree with this cuz Ballard and Tanev do the one thing our other pairings haven't done all season and that's move the puck quickly.

Posted Image

#78 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

They each got a point last night. Played well. But they weren't the Sedins of the last 5 years...

When the whole team gets clicking, their production will increase too. I think we are looking at 20 games in... maybe more. I think they have another level, but are not there right now. I think if they save themselves for the playoffs, and HS does what he did last year, we will all be happy!

#79 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

Have you looked at the stats page? Daniel and Henrik are first and second in team points (along with Edler)
Posted Image

#80 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Fading... oh dear. Ovechkin fading too?

How about struggling? Fine tuning? Finding their groove after a lengthy break?

We all react differently to different situations. Many players may be in shape, but still have a tough time coming into the season in late january. These people have a very strict daily scheme and preparation for games. Maybe that has been on the shelf for several moths during the lockout. Preparation isn't the same when you have endless practices without knowledge of when the games will resume...
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#81 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

This not just a thread to dump on the twins, but they are unlike other "stars". The Sedins took years to develop and seemed to hit a peak. I am sure they are still great players, but I see a similar decline in their games to that of Markus Naslund.

Look at how Naslund took years to get going before peaking and declining from there. I recall the media constantly pondering why Naslund was in a such a slump and not (that I heard) suggesting that he was on the downside of his career.

I am not saying this is by far the case, but Vancouver has had a history of having players develop here into very good players and then fade out because the team believed they would keep it going. Some other names that could be considered are Tony Tanti, Todd Bertuzzi, Petri Skriko...

Oh yeah, Bertuzzi has definitely faded LOL

Nah, not faded, just a case of the same ole, same ole. Every team plays their best defencemen against them and these defencemen have figured out their cycle and their passes.

Now, here's a schocker! Time for AV to split them up. Pair Hank with Burrows and Kassian and put Daniel with Schroeder and Hansen. Two #1 lines and not twin cycle for the opposition to key on. That would really mind fart with a few teams.

Oh, I forgot, that would be creative. Sorry, I forgot it was AV I was talking about here. LOL

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#82 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

:frantic:

OMG - they aren't crapping horseshoes like Marleau!!!!!!

While they probably won't win Art Ross again they are clearly still first line players in this league.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#83 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,779 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If the Sedins are fading then so are Iginla, Ovi and Kessel .. it is all relative ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#84 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

There's a few things at play here IMO.

-It usually takes a few weeks for the twins to refine their "Sedinery" at the beginning of any season. It's mostly their timing that has been (and currently appears to be) off. Passes are a little late/early/off the mark etc.

-Their was an exceptionally long lay off due to the lockout. I'm open to the possibility it may take them a little longer than normal to "find their groove"

-As good as some of the fill-ins have been playing, missing Kesler and Booth means opposing teams have far less worry about simply keying in on the first line. Hence the twins are dealing with more than "normal" amounts of checking.

As those things begin to resolve themselves, I'm sure we see more of what we're used to ;)
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#85 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Slow start sure, fading? Not quite, Naslund never recovered from the Moore hit

Comparitively speaking there is no sign Dan has recovered from the Kieth hit and Hank has taken a few shots from Neal and Brown et al. the Canucks have a history of not protecting their stars. They should have got a Kassian type player 4 years ago. The NHL learned to hit the Sedins in the Boston series and the Sedins ad Canucks have taken too long to ajust.

#86 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Nah, not faded, just a case of the same ole, same ole. Every team plays their best defencemen against them and these defencemen have figured out their cycle and their passes.

Now, here's a schocker! Time for AV to split them up. Pair Hank with Burrows and Kassian and put Daniel with Schroeder and Hansen. Two #1 lines and not twin cycle for the opposition to key on. That would really mind fart with a few teams.

Oh, I forgot, that would be creative. Sorry, I forgot it was AV I was talking about here. LOL

Agreed! not fading but everyone knows their stick. They looked pathetic against the Oilers first line head to head. Can't look elite when head to head with kids when their the supposed to be stars.
Split them up for now would be great but AV knows Defencive trap hockey Bo knows offence :lol:

#87 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

sedins are way better with burrows burrows dosent just sit infront of the net waiting to get set up for a tap in like kassian. watching sedins with kassian reminds me more less of the anson carter days where the sedins are stuck in the corner to do all the work for carter to get the glory first few shifts back with burrows the play mkaing was way better and front of the net was open for sedins to cycle to the front aswell as burrows and it created more chances.

Hate to be the grammar police but your posts could use some capitals, punctation, complete sentences and paragraphs. Otherwise we are looking at a wall of loosely connected text.
Posted Image

#88 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Small sample size. Will wait for many more games before panicking.

Sincerely,

A level-headed Canucks fan.

RIP LB RR PD

#89 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Oh yeah, Bertuzzi has definitely faded LOL

It's still relatively early in the year. I don't think they are fading nor is it that everyone knows their cycle game.

Their passing and timing are a little off as they did not play during the lockout. It will come. Due to Kesler and Booth being out teams can also key on the Sedin line a little more. Your idea to split them up has some merit but if you do that they will still not have established that timing between one another.

Your crack at AV is also ridiculous. He has split them before for periods of time so I guess he has been "creative"in the past.

There is definitely a cause for concern but I think they will get better with each and every game. If not, I'm guessing some buffoon will be posting about the "sisters" again. Damn I hate fickle fans.
Posted Image

#90 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thank god for the mods, otherwise threads like these would pop up every 15 minutes!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.