Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#91 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,566 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Completely freak accident during a hockey play, Cooke won't be suspended

Posted Image

#92 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

You know what they say, Calgary loves company.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#93 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

Didn't look accidental to me, and given Cooke's history, I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#94 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,873 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Either way, Ottawa's in trouble. Defensively they've been brutal all season long anyway, Anderson's the single reason this team is any good right now. He's been standing on his head all season long, facing quality and quantity of shots.

Now the only problem is offence - missing two point-per-game producers in Spezza and Karlsson, this team is really going to struggle offensively. I don't see the Sens making any big deals either, so their playoff hopes are practically dashed. Karlsson will be done for the season.
Posted Image

#95 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,954 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

Not intentional, gimme a break.

Feel really bad for Karlsson and the Senators. Their season is all but done with Spezza and Karlsson out, and Cowen as well.

gg

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#96 adniel_g

adniel_g

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:36 AM

http://youtu.be/EyfTzunzrUk

If that's actually a cut, that is a serious blow to the Sens chances with Cowan out to begin the season and Spezza out recently as well.

Reasons why I think it was intentional:
1)Cooke seems to have a stamping motion i.e. after his skate landed on Karlssons tendon instead of it just gliding down to the ice (which it should have done as Cooke looked off balance landing on that foot), but instead he replants his foot on the ice behind as if in complete control the whole time.
2) After Karlsson let out several screams, Cooke didn't even look back; especially since the impact into the boards was very slight, a normal reaction would have been to look back in surprise of what just happened.
3) It's Matt Cooke
4) It's Karlsson (not exactly your typical bench warmer)

Edited by adniel_g, 14 February 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#97 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:19 AM

Doesn't matter to me if it was accidental or not, he needs to be suspended. If you caused such injury and there is evidence of recklessness ... ie. skate up, left leg up to kick ... should result in a suspension. If NHL doesn't, players will exact their own revenge next time they play. In real life, an accidental murder ... manslaughter comes with punishment.

#98 Tornado

Tornado

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Nothing wrong with what Cooke did... Freak accident.

And Neversummer, this isn't exactly murder what Cooke did...

Belgian Canucks Fan

Posted Image

#99 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Completely accidental.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#100 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

And Neversummer, this isn't exactly murder what Cooke did...

Ask the Sens if this is a significant loss. No problems if NHL doesn't punish, there is a code that settles things like this. Crosby or Malkin just better keep their heads on a swivel and have eyes on the back of their head.

#101 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

Of course he is going to say that.

I've seen the tape several times now.......no way was that intentional. They went into the boards together, both slightly off balance. That was just Cooke trying to regain a skate on the ice. Unfortunate, but completely incidental.

#102 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

Terrible for the Sens.

Posted Image

#103 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

Well that sucks for the Sens...
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#104 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

This wasn't a freak accident. People ride each other into the boards all the time, fighting for balance. Legs come up all the time. But NO ONE then tries to push off the boards or someone's leg with their skate. This is not a hockey play.

#105 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Lol. "Cooke didn't mean to do it. He's changed!" How many people do you know that have changed THAT much? And he's never done anything like that, and wouldn't? Pretty sure he's put out plenty of guys long term on purpose before. The play looks way too awkward to have it ruled out as accidental. Doesn't help it looks like he stomps down too. Not exactly sure why he needed to lift his leg up while he hit the boards in the first place.

Cooke did well in toning things down, but this is like finding a smoking gun in a convicted felon's hand with someone laying shot nearby. Doesn't look normal or natural at all. Unless Cooke was trying to climb Karlsson to get over the glass or dry hump him because he was a big fan.

#106 Matt_T83

Matt_T83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Doesn't matter to me if it was accidental or not, he needs to be suspended. If you caused such injury and there is evidence of recklessness ... ie. skate up, left leg up to kick ... should result in a suspension. If NHL doesn't, players will exact their own revenge next time they play. In real life, an accidental murder ... manslaughter comes with punishment.

Yes!!! Someone on this board has some common sense. So many people say "accident, not his fault". You know, he doesn't need to be intentionally trying to cut Karlsson to be guilty.

I know this concept is too big for the tiny brains of most people here.

Manslaughter does come with a punishment, even if you accidentally kill someone with no intention or desire. Cooke was trying to trip Karlsson with his foot, which is extremely dangerous. This alone establishes guilt. 20 games. Intentional would be a lifetime ban, so consider 20 games light.

Edited by Matt_T83, 14 February 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#107 gurn

gurn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

The Nhl has said it is not a suspendable play.Since there are many former players and people with multiple years of experience working for the league I'd have to agree.

Not a suspendable act.

#108 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Yes!!! Someone on this board has some common sense. So many people say "accident, not his fault". You know, he doesn't need to be intentionally trying to cut Karlsson to be guilty.

I know this concept is too big for the tiny brains of most people here.

Manslaughter does come with a punishment, even if you accidentally kill someone with no intention or desire. Cooke was trying to trip Karlsson with his foot, which is extremely dangerous. This alone establishes guilt. 20 games. Intentional would be a lifetime ban, so consider 20 games light.

Should we start suspending people who unintentionally injure other players with slapshots, too?

You can complain about the "tiny brains" around CDC all you want, but you won't find a knowledgeable hockey analyst who would agree with your position on this.

It's a typical hockey play with a horrendous outcome. You can find countless examples of players raising their knee behind the opposing players legs. It's not a slew foot. It controls the movement of the other player to an extent, to help ensure they don't slip away. Once you hit the boards your leg has to come down or you lose balance. Horrific accident. View it in full time, not slow motion.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

View Postbahkwan, on 03 December 2010 - 12:55 PM, said:

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#109 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Reasons why I think it was intentional:
1)Cooke seems to have a stamping motion i.e. after his skate landed on Karlssons tendon instead of it just gliding down to the ice (which it should have done as Cooke looked off balance landing on that foot), but instead he replants his foot on the ice behind as if in complete control the whole time.
2) After Karlsson let out several screams, Cooke didn't even look back; especially since the impact into the boards was very slight, a normal reaction would have been to look back in surprise of what just happened.
3) It's Matt Cooke
4) It's Karlsson (not exactly your typical bench warmer)

Seems like you have a lot of unnecessary text in there. Let me trim that for you:

1) Matt Cooke
2) Matt Cooke
3) Matt Cooke
4) Matt Cooke

That's better. If it were anyone other than Cooke, and still not a Bruin, there would be no debate about whether or not it was intentional.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#110 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Looks like he's done for the season.

Lacerated Achilles

A laceration is probably the best outcome of this play. I was worried it might have been a tear induced by the added pressure from Cooke's skate coming down on it. Horrible development for the Sens, and hockey in general.

#111 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

#112 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

That's hilarious.

#113 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,489 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

I believe you may have misplaced this:

Posted Image
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#114 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Seriously though. Does anyone here remember either of the names of the players who's skates cut Bieksa?

Everyone's running around with blades attached to their feet. Cuts are going to happen.

#115 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,585 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Why do you have to lift your skate to pin him? Can't you keep your skate on the ice and do the same thing?

he doesn't......they come together as the come to the boards. When they do Cooke loses some balance and his leg comes up. It's a play that happens several times on every shift.

Lots of posters who have clearly never played a lot of hockey, certainly none with body contact

#116 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

I think it was intentional and think he is pure evil. I wouldn't doubt he researched how to injur a top defenseman and make it look like an accident. This sport is not as innocent as some would love to believe, and I am not fooled by it.

Yeah he probably read the book "Injuring NHL Superstar Defensemen for Dummies" and all the other literary material that exists on how to injure other players. *sarcasm*

I know hockey is a tough violent sport but come on, you make him sound like a trained assassin.

Seriously though it looked to me like he was just losing his balance and attempting to plant his leg to regain balance a wide stance. It's possible that he did it on purpose with it being Cooke and all, but it would be very difficult to do so and I think it's way more likely that it was an accident. In hockey, things don't always happen in predictable ways.

Edited by etsen3, 14 February 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#117 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I believe you may have misplaced this:

Posted Image

Obviously you didn't? Where did you get it. Nice pic, the hat really suits you.

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 February 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#118 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,107 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

NHL_Sens
Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - #Sens GM Bryan Murray

Posted ImagePosted Image

#119 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Seriously though. Does anyone here remember either of the names of the players who's skates cut Bieksa?

Everyone's running around with blades attached to their feet. Cuts are going to happen.

might be Peter Prucha (sp?).... ya surprise doesn't happen more often especially during fights..

#120 Orpheus

Orpheus

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

To me the question isn't whether Cooke intended to injure Karlsson (which i think he didn't) but rather if his play was reckless or not. Fumbling about with a knee at the back of an opponent trying to pin him and then put it down with force with no control where the blade goes. Its just asking for someone to get hurt. If this really was a standard play (as i recall TSN experts argued) then i think there would be a lot more severe injuries in this league.

If you intentionally lift your blade in close proximity to another player you better know where it goes down before you put any weight on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.