The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Leads the NHL in GAA

JamesB

Funny how when Lu plays "lights-out" he's the team's savour and teh reason we won but when Thomas does it, it's no excuse. It works both ways.

Thomas never had a weak game in that SCF and made timely, incredible saves in every game. Lu was able to match his performance in 4 games. Lu wasn't the only reason the team lost - injuries, Hamhuis out etc - but Thomas out-played him in 3 games and that was a factor.

if you take away the first game Luongo's save % goes to .951

try again

and the team has played better in front of Schneider, he's had more than one game where we've given him 4 or more goals of offsensive support. Luongo has had to hold the other team to 2 goals or less in his wins.

They're both playing amazing but if you had to pick who is playing better the stats don't lie, Luongo is outplaying him. Not by much but he still is

People also forget how Thomas was in Round 3 against the Lightning. Thomas let in 5 goals, for 4 of the games in R3, but the Bruins' offense came up big when it needed to be and compensated for all those goals let in. Lui never gets the benefit of the doubt. Even when he does let in goals, it seems like the team got deflated way too easily and basically let the Bruins' walk all over them. (We were severely injured as well). This wasn't the kind of play that was going to win a Cup, Kesler nearly single-handedly won R2, Lui almost stole us R4.

Except for the more recent rough patch, Luongo's always been one of the best, if not the best goaltender on the planet. His failures really have been over-exaggerated by the fans who have sky-high expecations that if you don't live up to them, you get thrown under the bus.

RE all the over-the-top criticism, Luongo would be wise to take a page from Derek Jeter's quote, "I play in New York, man. You have to take criticism as part of the challenge." That's how characters like Jeter are able to stay fresh and resillient in an intensive environment.

well let's just say even if Schneider played in the SCF and say he only gives up 2 goals per game every game which would be amazing stats.. we would have been swept in the finals no? Thomas played good in the series but he sure didn't single handedly won the stanley cup.. having a relatively healthy defense that's led by a norris trophy winner plays a big role in grinding down our half beat up dead tired offense/defense.. and those that keeps going back to last years round 1.. last i checked most of the goals came from an excellent chance due to a giveaway deep in our zone??

btw.. who cares who we keep as a goalie.. if the sedins doesn't get going soon lol we ain't going anywhere anytime soon.. Sedins have been pretty mediocre this year and we played so many games against weak teams that they used to feed on lol.. i'd worry about that before i worry about who's going to be traded in net

The team has played much better in front of Luongo than Schneider, and has faced substantially less shots (27) than Schneider (30). If you remove game 1 in which neither of them played well (and the team was atrocious in front of them)

Luongo - .944 sv %

Schnieder - .945 sv %

Schnieder has also faced substantially more shots short handed (7) while playing in 1 less game.

So no, so far (as great as Lu has been) it has not shown me than Luongo >Schnieder

Archived