The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More Kesler AV controversy?

Provost

What I don't understand is why AV, a veteran coach in this league, in talking about a core player and one of the leaders of his team, would say anything other than something like..."Kes has been medically cleared to play by our doctors, and when he's 100% comfortable with the strength of the shoulder and feels he's ready to play, he'll be in the lineup."

Kes has earned the right to determine on his own timeline when he thinks he's ready. I mean we're not talking about a loafer here...we're talking about a guy who came back way too soon last season and paid the price again...a guy who during our cup run told the trainers to cut off his finger so he could get back on the ice.

Why AV would create a perception, intentionally or not, that they are not on the same page boggles my mind.

If this hasn't happened before this wouldn't be much of a controversy.

But it has.

AV publicly questioning Willie Mitchell being ready to play in 2008

AV publicly questioning Cody Hodgson being ready to play in 2009

Both of these players were then turfed out of town. We all know which side of the hammer Gillis comes down on when a player dares to contradict their coach in the media.

Now I'd be shocked if it resulted in a trade but it doesn't help in AV and Ryan's relationship. From history we can see that AV is an Olympian grudge holder and handles these things like a 4 year old whose candy is taken away. As he said in a recent scrum about his players "they know my moods".

Again, both have been on the ice together for practices multiple times already and AV has already stated previously that Kesler is medically cleared and that he believes Kesler is ready to play. I am simply not naive enough to think there have been zero opportunities for the two to get on the same page.

I mean, come on, THINK about it for a second.

Again, I am not one to try to stir up a controversy that doesn't exist. I just get frustrated with other fans that try to claim there is nothing going on when at least people like me are using quotes, facts and logic to back up what we say.

I'm sick and tired of AV being in the middle of controversies.

He's the fricking coach but he's too busy hamming it up in front of the cameras and not caring about his players.

A coach should be the one to put out the fires and stick up for their players and their well being.

I'm ok with coaches sometimes calling out players for bad play but what I CAN'T stand is the unnecessary conflicts like suggesting

1) Hodgson was using the injury as an excuse for his poor play. How about rushing Mitchell back from injury

2)Trying to rush Willie Mitchell back from injury

Medical reports suggested that Mitchell’s injury couldn’t get any worse from playing, which lead head coach Alain Vigneault to suggest that Mitchell would be back sooner than later.

"He [Vigneault] wants me in the lineup," Mitchell said following Tuesday’s skate at the Pacific Coliseum. "He's a coach. He doesn't know how I feel, he doesn't feel my pain, he doesn't feel those things.But at the end of the day he knows if I'm out on the ice I'm going to help the team win, so he wants me out there.

3) Trying to rush Kesler back before he is ready

These kinds of actions results in the trust between player and coach being broken. Why would a player do what he's told when he knows the coach does not care

AVs actions can be seen as being cancerous to team chemistry.

If after all of these examples, AV was still a brilliant hockey coach, I might just ignore the other issues but problem is, he also gets outcoached in the playoffs.

I really think this season should be his last chance.

I'd rather AV go then Kesler if it came down to it

I like Kesler, but he is still working on taking criticism - last year when AV suggested that he could use his linemates a little better, it was a fair enough comment imo. I think Kesler is also a headstrong guy and that attribute has very positive aspects (ie his drive and competitiveness) but sometimes not always so constructive.

In either event, I look at these a hiccups - I think both Kesler and AV are pretty reasonable in the end, and probably rethink things a little and let go of them.

I don't see much of a controversy here - but I also don't see Provost as the type of poster who attempts to stir any up - just an opinion/concern expressed here that we'll all infer different levels of meaning from.

What I don't understand is why AV, a veteran coach in this league, in talking about a core player and one of the leaders of his team, would say anything other than something like..."Kes has been medically cleared to play by our doctors, and when he's 100% comfortable with the strength of the shoulder and feels he's ready to play, he'll be in the lineup."

Kes has earned the right to determine on his own timeline when he thinks he's ready. I mean we're not talking about a loafer here...we're talking about a guy who came back way too soon last season and paid the price again...a guy who during our cup run told the trainers to cut off his finger so he could get back on the ice.

Why AV would create a perception, intentionally or not, that they are not on the same page boggles my mind.

There's quite obviously some issues between Kes and AV. Kes was my favorite player for years, but I hate the way he's acted since winning the Selkie. AV was right on the money to call him out about not using his teammates, all he did last year was hog the puck and take that stupid wrister 25 times a game.

Still love the guy, but not sure what happened to the Kesler that was the heart and soul of the Canucks. We need that guy back.

Again, both have been on the ice together for practices multiple times already and AV has already stated previously that Kesler is medically cleared and that he believes Kesler is ready to play. I am simply not naive enough to think there have been zero opportunities for the two to get on the same page.

I mean, come on, THINK about it for a second.

Again, I am not one to try to stir up a controversy that doesn't exist. I just get frustrated with other fans that try to claim there is nothing going on when at least people like me are using quotes, facts and logic to back up what we say.

I'm sick and tired of CanucksJay being in the middle of threads of controversies.

He's a frickin Canucks fan but he's too busy bitching and whining on the boards and not caring about his fellow poster.

A fan should be the one to not start the fires and stick up for all Canucks and their well being.

I'm ok with Fans sometimes calling out Coaches for a bad game but what I CAN'T stand is the unnecessary bitching and whining like suggesting

1) Hodgson matters in this scenario in the slightest. How about rushing Mitchell back from injury

2)Trying to tie in Willie Mitchell coming back from injury somehow

Medical reports suggested that Mitchell’s injury couldn’t get any worse from playing, which lead head coach Alain Vigneault to suggest that Mitchell would be back sooner than later.

"He [Vigneault] wants me in the lineup," Mitchell said following Tuesday’s skate at the Pacific Coliseum. "He's a coach. He doesn't know how I feel, he doesn't feel my pain, he doesn't feel those things.But at the end of the day he knows if I'm out on the ice I'm going to help the team win, so he wants me out there.

3) Trying to rush Kesler back before he is ready is sort of like using the topic to add to a list of points that aren't relevant to make it seem like an opinion has some merit.

These kinds of actions results in the trust between Poster and the reader being broken. Why would CanuckJay make this post when he knows that everybody does not care

CanuckJay's actions can be seen as being cancerous to logic and reason.

If after all of these examples, CanuckJay was still a brilliant post writer, I might just ignore the other issues but problem is, he also writes crappy posts in the playoffs.

I really think this thread should be his last chance.

I'd rather CanuckJay go then King of ES if it came down to it

Archived