#331 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Keith is generally a clean player with one major screw up

Oh yeah, Keith is REAL clean....here is just one example of his dirty play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XiTS8NjNao

Gee, looks a bit like the Sedin hit, don't you think ? :shock:
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#332 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

And Matt Cooke got off Scott free, wow!
Posted Image

#333 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

Soft and unnecessary suspension.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#334 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,915 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

i dont believe that for a second. even taking an elbow pad to the helmet in the right spot can stun anyone. ive had several head injuries ranging from intense car accident, to aluminum pike pole smacking me in the hardhat, to a minor fall snowboarding. sometimes a smaller hit in a sweetspot will stun you more than a major one. then sometimes the effects of the smaller hit dont last as long and the major one gives you problems for months. I dont know why that is, im not a doctor or scientist but ive had the experiences and know you cant judge a head injury from watching it.

If a select few of you want to play doctor, you better not be the first to complain when Dr Recchi opens his mouth. Gotta love the single edged sword in cdc land haha

So here's the deal - that's an unfortuante thing but it's then your decision to weigh out the risks associated with the activities you engage in as a result. Hockey is a contact sport and to expect to be immune from that is irresponsible. So you take your lumps and accept that you've signed on for the risk associated with the sport....the big paycheque helps with that.

If your state is so delicate that you can't be sure that a slight jar/bump won't have a significant impact, then you have to make the decision to protect your health and wait until you are sure that you can handle it. Which may never be (look at Manny and what happened with him). But every adult has the right to decide and Hossa decided to play, despite his condition. And the risk came into play with contact.

Hockey comes with risk. So yes, Hossa's condition is sad and unfortunate - anyone suffering head trauma's is. But you then make decisions and are accountable for that...when he skates out on the ice he's a hockey player, not an individual that gets coddled because of his history. It just doesn't work that way.

It was a collision and nothing more. Yes, Hansen should have been a bit more careful but that's how he plays - with reckless abandon. Watch him skate (hard) sometime when he's chasing a puck. Nothing intentional or sinister here. Just the bad luck of the draw.. And let's wait to see the prognosis for Hossa before we read Hansen the riot act, shall we?

Posted Image

#335 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

And Matt Cooke got off Scott free, wow!

Anything goes when you play for the NHL's favourite team.

After all, they are so awesome, they deserve multiple Winter Classic appearances and their own HBO special.

It's not like Vancouver doesn't have twin Art Ross winning brothers, TWO top 10 goaltenders and the most points in the last two seasons....

Did you see Marc Andre Fleury in the playoffs last year? They might as well have used an orange pylon.
Posted Image

What are you talking about? The Flames are one of the teams that gets good value contracts

#336 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Well deserved.

He clearly changed his mind midway.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#337 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

That's absolutely shocking given that Hansen is not a repeat offender. I guess this means Hossa isn't as okay as Q told the media last night.

aXmDa9t.gif

#338 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Excuse me? No, moderators did not diagnosis anything....I now ask that you link to where that happened?

And you go ahead and blow up the hit through the back of a star players head. It was a swipe at a puck. Let's keep it real here.

Exaggeration does not make your case(s) stronger. It actually weakens them.

If that was not you that made remarks on keeping blow dryers away from hossa, then I sincerely apologize for the mistake.

You stating that it was completely innocent as fact is just the same as me stating there was intent to make contact but not intent to target the head as fact. You can't crucify me for doing the same thing you are doing. I would like to respectfully agree to disagree on the matter.

I broke down the play with an unbiased view in earlier posts and came to almost the exact same conclusion shanahan did. Even Darth Kane who is a great member of this board, well known hawks fan and respectful unbiased debater here quoted one and said it was a great analysis. He then later agreed with your post on carelessness and did not agree with a suspension. My point being, he has partially agreed with your point and partially mine.

I'm not exaggerating anything, I am stating my opinion on the matter of eliminating the grey area. I stand by my opinion there was intent to make contact but not intent to target the head. I firmly believe he meant to give hossa a shuv or something when he realized he had no chance at the puck, that resulted in a headshot that was unintentional. I am not looking to make stronger cases by exaggerating, what I stated was almost the exact same thing Shanny said well after me.

I am not looking to troll, I simply viewed the play differently than you and 90% of Vancouver. If you want to crucify me for that go ahead.

#339 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Wow.Just wow.

#340 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Jannik is a big part of the team and seems like a heart and soul kinda guy. Hopefully this doesn't bother him too much.

Love guys that put the team before themselves, we are lucky to have many guys like that on our team.

Canucks!

#341 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

So here's the deal - that's an unfortuante thing but it's then your decision to weigh out the risks associated with the activities you engage in as a result. Hockey is a contact sport and to expect to be immune from that is irresponsible. So you take your lumps and accept that you've signed on for the risk associated with the sport....the big paycheque helps with that.

If your state is so delicate that you can't be sure that a slight jar/bump won't have a significant impact, then you have to make the decision to protect your health and wait until you are sure that you can handle it. Which may never be (look at Manny and what happened with him). But every adult has the right to decide and Hossa decide to play, despite his condition.

Hockey comes with risk. So yes, Hossa's condition is sad and unfortunate - anyone suffering head trauma's is. But you then make decisions and are accountable for that...when he skates out on the ice he's a hockey player, not an individual that gets coddled because of his history. It just doesn't work that way.

It was a collision and nothing more. Yes, Hansen should have been a bit more careful but that's how he plays - with reckless abandon. Watch him skate (hard) sometime when he's chasing a puck. Nothing intentional or sinister here. Just the bad luck of the draw.. And let's wait to see the prognosis for Hossa before we read Hansen the riot act, shall we?

I do agree with you that a guy has to know when to call it quits but my point in my post is nobody has any idea how hard he connected except hossa. I have survived 2 major accidents myself one was severe burns from a sawmill explosion and one was a very bad car accident. Before either of those ever happened I had a minor fall snowboarding and I was more initially stunned from that. The long term effects of the other 2 were worse but initially I was on the ground longer after a minor incident.

I just think if is unfair to judge a guys health like that because one of our favorite players gets suspended over it.

#342 Dancin'Droid

Dancin'Droid

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well deserved.

He clearly changed his mind midway.

I agree, Hansen probably didn't mean to hurt him just realized he wouldn't get the puck and hit Hossa. One game is a fair suspension anything more would have been a joke.

DancingAndroidYellow-1.gif

2013 Kent Jr. Football Champion

2014 Bronze Boot

2014 Kent Sr. Football Champion

2014 SWOSSA Football Finalist 

#343 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

1 game is reasonable... those of you that are crying over the suspension.. i'm sure if it happened the other way around say someone from the hawks did it to Daniel Sedin instead.. you guys would be screaming for a suspension of some sort.. while i agree the play wasn't dirty or intentional. but you have to be wary of where your elbow and stuff are. i'm sure if Hansen really wanted to try he coulda missed the elbow to the head..

#344 pinklemonade

pinklemonade

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

How come no one has mentioned that Hossa actually backed up into Hansen? This is a chance for Gillis and AV to step up and get fine to stand up for the Canucks but AV won't. He has absolutelty zero passion and how do you expect your own players to play with heart when AV doesn't communicate with them and shows no passion whatsoever?

#345 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm torn on this. A player is responsible for what he does on the ice. Maybe it was instinct in pursuit of the puck. I know Hansen isn't the guy of guy that would intentionally hurt another player. One game might be tough, but it sends a message to the players in the NHL they have to accept the consequences for their play.

I just hope if the same situation happens to Crosby, Stamkos or even Kane accidentally elbowing another player that they get the same punishment.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#346 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Without intent to injure is the reason he got 1 game instead of multiple games. A player should be more aware of other players around them and be responsible with their stick and arm swings. Even it was accidental, he still accidentally elbowed Hossa in the head. Lesson learned, move on.

#347 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm torn on this. A player is responsible for what he does on the ice. Maybe it was instinct in pursuit of the puck. I know Hansen isn't the guy of guy that would intentionally hurt another player. One game might be tough, but it sends a message to the players in the NHL they have to accept the consequences for their play.

I just hope if the same situation happens to Crosby, Stamkos or even Kane accidentally elbowing another player that they get the same punishment.

Agree 100%.. I've been fairly flamed in this thread for my opinion but I expected it. To me they have to set a standard on being responsible for your actions. I feel one game is fair in that regard. He's not a dirty player but if he's in that situation again I'm sure he will avoid that contact so he doesn't put his team at a disadvantage next game.

#348 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

its fair. hansen was reckless ...not dirty but reckless...

there needs to be a penalty for hits to the head, much like the IIHF and the CHL. No tolerance to ANY shot to the head.

I am okay with this decision

and to those saying hossa dove... :picard: take off your homer glasses. to say that, you could say daniel sedin dove... :picard:

LOL. Dyinggggg.

#349 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,915 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

If this was evenly applied, I could support it. The problem is, it likely won't be and the inconsistencies are what frustrate some of us.

Posted Image

#350 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,246 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Just saw the suspension vid, it looked a lot worse then what I saw last night. Closed palm, extending hand after etc.

He deserved the suspension, but I still believe that if it wasn't for Hossa staying down for a long time Hansen wouldn't be in this situation.
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#351 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Agree 100%.. I've been fairly flamed in this thread for my opinion but I expected it. To me they have to set a standard on being responsible for your actions. I feel one game is fair in that regard. He's not a dirty player but if he's in that situation again I'm sure he will avoid that contact so he doesn't put his team at a disadvantage next game.

We'll see if they keep to this standard. I am skeptical.
Posted Image

#352 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Oh yeah, Keith is REAL clean....here is just one example of his dirty play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XiTS8NjNao

Gee, looks a bit like the Sedin hit, don't you think ? :shock:

No he kept his arm down on the hit on Cooke. It was more of a vulnerable position hit like Torres on Seabrook IMO. Questionable and on the line but not malicious like the hit on Daniel.

#353 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Just saw the suspension video.

One of the key points was:

"Hossa was injured on the play."

I'm sick and tired of injury factoring in on suspensions.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#354 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

If this was evenly applied, I could support it. The problem is, it likely won't be and the inconsistencies are what frustrate some of us.

I agree with the skepticism but we have to start somewhere. I think shanahan is on his way and trying to get some consistency and giving full video breakdowns is a major step. He's not perfect yet, it will take some time and missed opportunities but I think the league is going in the right direction with Brendan at the helm.

I think if Hansen didnt get a game for the hit it would have raised alot more consistency questions. Then next time there's a questionable hit you can't do anything because "why are we being punished if Hansen got away with it". Sucks for us but I feel it has to be done.

#355 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I'd compare that play to an over zealous right fielder running across into centre field and getting cold cocked by the centre fielders elbow.Why does that play happen?Because they are both focused solely on catching the ball.

#356 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Very similar to the Keith hit on Daniel,. but Hansen disguised it a lot better. Guys he lead with his forearm, there was never any intention to swat the puck. If he did, he would have lead with his glove. This was definately a dirty play, not as obvious as Keith's elbow but still one that shouldn't be in the NHL. That being said I am fully behind Hansen for what he did.

Dirty or not, these Blackhawks needed someone to step up to them for what they've been getting away with the last 3 years and that's dirty plays. They won the Cup that way, they knocked Daniel Sedin out and now they finally get a taste of their own medicine. We may not have broken their streak, but Hansen's hit may have allowed the Sharks to do so.

Someone give Hansen an award. Suspensions are a joke in this league - a 5 game ban on Keith for what, 20 missed games and our playoff chances for Daniel Sedin? That is not a fair trade off and justice is not served with a short suspension. I hate to say it, but "an eye for an eye" is much fairer. It's the only way goons will learn that they can't get away with this crap.
Posted Image

#357 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

He saw Hossa was going get the puck. He brings his arm down. Hossa happened to be there.

100% non-dirty play, and not at all similar to the Keith hit.

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#358 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

1 principle point of contact is the head 2 the player left his feet 3 The player acted recklessly 4 the player was not playing the puck ... 5 GAME Suspension

Player was playing the puck, the player left a foot, not feet. If that is a 5 gamer in your opinion what was Keith's hit really worth? Let me guess, nothing? Yeah, inbreeding is bad folks, tell your friends.

Edited by PLOGUE, 20 February 2013 - 09:07 PM.

QUOTE (ephysdad @ Oct 26 2008, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or then of course there's always the Ferry

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

1. I cheer for the Canucks, whatever happens.
2. I never say anything bad about the Canucks.
3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
7. I make a tonne of $$$$.
8. I'm witty.
9. If it meant missing a game, I wouldn't study for a midterm.
10. I roll with a guy who has a wicked car.
11. I like to post "source?" a lot.

#359 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Dp

Edited by PLOGUE, 20 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Also,
I'm putting together a list of the criteria to be a "real" Canuck's fan. So far I have this:

3. I know the difference between "real" fans and posers just by how they post on the CDC or where they sit at GM Place.
4. I wouldn't dream of leaving a game before it ended, even if it meant missing a train, ferry or a threesome with the wife and her hot best friend?
5. I make 10+ posts a day and I have over 10,000 posts on the CDC, so my Canuck "street-cred" is huge. Go away noob!
6. No one F's with me. I train in MMA. I'm really tough. I'll curb stomp yo' donkey.
8. I'm witty.

#360 PLOGUE

PLOGUE

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Tp

Edited by PLOGUE, 20 February 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Also,

8. I'm witty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.