The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian's chance with Kes

jono2009

Funny how everyone hyped Kassian right away. He's done the same thing at every level he's payed. Been an allstar for the first 3-5 games then petered off to an average player. The hype and excitement of first games gets him rocking and he plays steller, then when that goes away he plays like a regular player. First games with the Canucks last year....."He's an allstar" played like a beast.....then tailed off. First few games with the Wolves this year.... "Allstar"....played amazing then tailed off. First few games with the Canucks this year....yep same story.

It's not a hard pattern to see, hopefully consistency will come with age but at the worst you know for big games and playoffs he'll be a beast. Potential is there but does he have the strenght and stamina to compete every game for a whole season because is pretty apparent that he only really shows up when he's fresh and there is a lot of adrenaline and excitement in his game.

Funny how everyone hyped Kassian right away. He's done the same thing at every level he's payed. Been an allstar for the first 3-5 games then petered off to an average player. The hype and excitement of first games gets him rocking and he plays steller, then when that goes away he plays like a regular player. First games with the Canucks last year....."He's an allstar" played like a beast.....then tailed off. First few games with the Wolves this year.... "Allstar"....played amazing then tailed off. First few games with the Canucks this year....yep same story.

It's not a hard pattern to see, hopefully consistency will come with age but at the worst you know for big games and playoffs he'll be a beast. Potential is there but does he have the strenght and stamina to compete every game for a whole season because is pretty apparent that he only really shows up when he's fresh and there is a lot of adrenaline and excitement in his game.

One thing that bugs me, and maybe I am wrong, but when their shift is over I don't see Kesler talking to Kassian. Hank is always talking to his wingers about the last shift and Kesler should be the leader of his line. Maybe he doesn't want to rock the boat just getting back, but I would like to see him work with our budding young powerforward.

I'm more concerned that he seems to lack an aggressive edge. In Buffalo (according to Mike Peca) one of the knocks was he didn't care about being a team leader in hits and looking for situations to use his size and protecting his line mates. i don't mean just fighting either. He should be valuable even when not scoring. I don't see that willingness to get involved but big guys take longer to develop, we'll see.

I'm more concerned that he seems to lack an aggressive edge. In Buffalo (according to Mike Peca) one of the knocks was he didn't care about being a team leader in hits and looking for situations to use his size and protecting his line mates. i don't mean just fighting either. He should be valuable even when not scoring. I don't see that willingness to get involved but big guys take longer to develop, we'll see.

Everyone needs to remember this is his first full year in the NHL.

Everytime he steps out for a shift he is probably thinking...

Should I fight?

Should I hit?

Should I make plays?

Should I backcheck?

Ideally he should be able to use his unique combination of size and skill to do all of those things well. But it will take time for him to understand his role on this team and what he brings to the ice every night. That explains why there are so few Lucic's around the league. It is alot of aspects to the game you must deal with at once.

He's still a kid. Lets give him some time to grow and understand the game at this level. He has obviously shown signs of greatness which is very promising for Canuck's fans and brass. We should be patient with him IMO. There are going to be some growing pains along the way, but as long as he puts in the hard work and effort he will progress. This guy can be a real gem for us now, and in the future.

With that being said Kesler has to put his ego aside and start to use his line mates a little more. I`m starting to get sick and tired of him trying to to beat the opposing defense men on his own and losing the puck, or getting a cheap shot off on net. Pass the puck and get open already. He is wasting the play by doing this, It also throws off the momentum of his line mates entering the zone by not using them. They are looking like they are out of position because the dont know what Kesler is thinking. There needs to be more communication I think as well.

AV should partially take the blame here also. How the heck can these players build up chemistry together if he`s always switching the lines around? It seems like he wants his line combos to have instant success in order to keep them together. Sometimes it takes time to develop this chemistry. He should put together some lines for at least 5 or 6 games and see what happens instead of changing them around all the time. Yes I do realize Kes, and Booth just came back, but I hope he keeps the lines consistent for a few games from now on. I personally liked the Booth Kesler Kassian line from last year even though it only lasted a few games. A good mix of size, skill, and speed there. Kassian is a lot better this year than he was last year as well. Why not give it another try?

i still think kassian should be with the sedins. burrows is better by himself then kassian is and its nice having a big body with the sedins to protect them and create space.. burrows and kesler on the 2nd line with booth would be decent, altho i doubt booth and kesler ever really gel.

Archived