The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Roster Spot in Serious Jeopardy?

Go Go Canucks Go

Kassian's not going to lose his spot to Jensen, not this year anyway. Kass has been up and down the line up if only for inconsistency. Like all big guys, once you get him mad he's an unstoppable force. I thought he played well last night, an assist on the Garrison goal, and a big fight vs. Roussel - who should have got a penalty for instigating a fight with a visor on. After the fight AV gave Kass some PP time in the 3rd.

Gillis had an interview with Team 1040, the highlights were kindly posted by NuxFan in the Jensen thread. He basically said Jensen would go straight to the AHL when his SEL season finishes Mar. 5th. Gillis also blocked an SEL trade of Jensen which would have put him on an SEL playoff team and possibly keep him there until April.

kassian is only 22, he's being moved up and down the line up and trying to fit in. He had a great start and has all the raw talent required. We need to support this guy rather than bring out the knives after a few weak performances. Eventually he'll be a very useful top six performer.

Don't the Canucks give up 1yr of Jensens' ECL if he plays for Wolves (or Nucks)? Really not worth it, IMO. Maybe MG thinks the kid could have an impact with the big club.

Jensen would not knock Kassian off the team, but would probably result in Zak being stuck on the 4th line. I don't think that would be good for Zak's development. I like how he has adjusted to different linemates and is challenged to play better. Leaving him 'floundering' as a 4th line pylon will result in a bored player with little progression.

Certainly if Oshawa (the CHL team that holds his junior rights) refused him, he could play in the AHL if he didn't stick with the Canucks after his SEL season is done. If he doesn't play with the Canucks and Oshawa will take him on their roster, he is still under the age limit where he wouldn't be eligible for the AHL according to the CHL/NHL transfer agreement.

Interesting, perhaps there's something about him having played in the SEL this season that circumvents the usual CHL/NHL agreement? Is it something to do with the clear day rosters after a certain date? I'm not so sure the Generals would refuse him back on their team if he were to be available again.

Don't the Canucks give up 1yr of Jensens' ECL if he plays for Wolves (or Nucks)? Really not worth it, IMO. Maybe MG thinks the kid could have an impact with the big club.

Jensen would not knock Kassian off the team, but would probably result in Zak being stuck on the 4th line. I don't think that would be good for Zak's development. I like how he has adjusted to different linemates and is challenged to play better. Leaving him 'floundering' as a 4th line pylon will result in a bored player with little progression.

nucks like to season there young guys in the ahl getting quality minutes and learning the systems. since gillis has shown up i have be impressed with the way they develop first. and as much as i'd like to see a jordan mason and jensen line it really doesn't address the need of a shut down checking line especially with manny gone.when the playoff start up i could see him being a call up if he impresses at the AHL level.

Why do people here continuously think that just throwing a guy in will automatically work?

As of right now, Jensen is all potential, no development. Meaning he's well behind Kassian in terms of securing a roster spot.

But some here would rather try and throw in Corrado than go with proven vets.

No clue. Just no clue at all.

Archived