#151 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's an upgrade over Volpatti

Really?..........I take it you haven't watched his fights.
Kevin.jpg

#152 Robongo

Robongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

This is nothing but damage control. If we waited 1 hour to put volpattti on waivers ( wtf was the rush) , we would have found out about keslers injury and have kept Aaron . Pretty bad mismanagement by the guys up top...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks R.Luongo. for the sig!=)

#153 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Vandermeer is a better option up front, imo. Hell, Oreskovich is. Where'd that guy go, anyway. Out of hockey again?

They claimed Sestito because they didn't anticipate Volpatti being claimed.

But at least we know Sestito won't be claimed when he's sent down. He fell all the way to us in the first place.
Posted Image

#154 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I thought Gillis was about character?

Looks like Lupul was pretty game to dance. Kind of like Marleau challenging Bieksa last year.

You don't start face-washing a tough guy if you want to avoid getting punched in the face.

Edited by Provost, 01 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#155 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Perhaps a significant difference in Volpatti and Sestito is that Volpatti will be a UFA at the end of the season, while Sestito will be an RFA.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#156 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

So by saying he's nowhere near Volpatti you've just admitted you've never watched him play then. Sestito is the better player period.

Is he really? Well even if he is slightly better(I'm not saying he is mind) we lose in toughness and character.

MG has just panicked because he was caught out. Another duff signing to join the queue imo. The guy hasn't a clue about being pro-active.

Edited by Bodee, 01 March 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#157 GarthButcher5

GarthButcher5

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

He is nowhere near Volpatti. That is my opinion. Also I think he is a douche on and off the ice and not fit for this team.
As I said if he was so good you would have thought the Caps would have snapped him up first.

Are you just assuming that he is a douche on and off the ice or can you back it up? My guess is that no one here knows him off the ice so we will have to wait and see.

#158 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

from a philly perspective

Yesterday, the Flyers placed winger Tom Sestito and goaltender Michael Leighton on waivers. The club is currently capped out and is using long-term injured reserve allowance. Sending Sestito ($605,000) and Leighton ($900,000) to Adirondack will clear $1.505 million off the team's cap figure.

There is a chance that Sestito will be claimed off waivers by another team today. Although not particularly trusted by Laviolette (who clearly prefers the smaller, speedier Zac Rinaldo), Sestito does have some assets to offer. He is not a bad skater for such a big guy, and when he plays under control, he can be effective in non-fighting situations.

Sestito, who had a two-goal game against Tampa Bay earlier this season, is not going to score many goals at the NHL level. That's just not his role. Banging bodies and fighting are what got him to the NHL in the first place. But he actually does have decent hands if he gets the puck in close.

Where Sestito still needs to improve his game in terms of his decision making and discipline. By discipline, I'm not only talking about penalties, I'm referring to his play away with and without the puck. But he cannot possibly get better if he doesn't get opportunities to play (whether that's in the NHL or even back in the AHL). If it all takes is a single bad shift or one glaring mistake in a game to earn several more weeks in the pressbox, the player is simply not trusted by the coach and probably never will be.

Perhaps getting claimed by another organization would be a good thing for Sestito. Another coach might see potential value in him as an NHL player and let him play through mistakes while figuring out what does and doesn't work for him at the top level. That's how Rinaldo has begun to thrive under Laviolette. The Flyers have lived through ups and downs in Rinaldo's still-young NHL career, and he's been rewarding the club of late. The coach clearly does not see similar potential in Sestito.

Laviolette may be proven right or may be proven wrong. For the player's sake, at least, you hope there's a coach out there who sees a role on a team for him and hands him the ball to either run with or fumble away on his own. My own feeling on Sesito is that the flaws may be correctable. His mistakes (like Rinaldo's) are often ones of over-zealousness.

However, players who play Sestito's role are often viewed as a dime a dozen, and it's tough for these players to stick for long if they don't make an immediate positive impression. The Flyers placed Sestito on waivers last year and were able to assign him to the Phantoms went he went unclaimed.

Sestito sustained a minor injury (charley horse) while on conditioning assignment with the Phantoms. He also was set back at the start of camp by a bout with mumps.

#159 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Nope. That's only if he actually cleared waivers to begin with, and then he wouldn't be on our team and the Flyers would have that option. If we want to send him to the Wolves, he'll still have to clear waivers and the Flyers would get first chance to reclaim him.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#160 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Because I love stats, here are some stats for you guys:

We gained 5 inches

We gained 13 pounds.

We got 2 years younger.

Player - Pts - G - A - +/- - PIM - BORN
Volpatti - 1 --- 1 -- 0 -- 0 -- 28 --- CDN - BC
Sestito -- 2 --- 2 -- 0 - +1 - 12 --- USA - NY

Edited by Kassian's Face, 01 March 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#161 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

No way AV lets Sestito slide after a bad shift.

Apparently the Flyers' core loved the guy though.
Posted Image

#162 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,618 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Is he really? Well even if he is slightly better(I'm not saying he is mind) we lose in toughness and character.

MG has just panicked because he was caught out. Another duff signing to join the queue imo. The guy hasn't a clue about being pro-active.

No we actually gain in toughness and character which again shows you're clueless in who we just picked up. I would have been happy with this pick up even if we didn't lose Volpatti.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#163 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Doesn't really give us anything Volpatti didn't.

Only concern I have is his reputation for taking bad penalties that hurt the team. Volpatti was able to hit like a train but do it legally. He was smart/good enough to know his role and not hurt the team .

TIme will tell.

#164 Sestito29

Sestito29

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

No way AV lets Sestito slide after a bad shift.

Apparently the Flyers' core loved the guy though.

This. I'm already worried that after one bad shift he ends up in the press box or ultimately sent down...

#165 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'll still miss Volpatti. Good fighter and hitter.

#166 forever_hope

forever_hope

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think mg wants volpatti over sestito as volpatti is more reliable, and we have invested in him over the last few years.

But the main point here is that they wanted to bring pinnozotto in and they couldn't do that without sending someone down.. schroeder is the only one who doesn't have to clear but we need a center so it wouldn't be him. Weise could have been a better guy to waive (debatable) but with the upcoming condensed schedule, weise would be better since he can eat up more minutes on the pk, has more offensive upside while being able to fight (though not as tough as volpatti).

So mg had to make this gamble which did not go our way, so he picked up another guy who could replace volpatti. Its not difficult to understand and isn't too big of a deal anyways.. hopefully we can get him back if he's waived by the caps or if not, then we'll have to hope pinnozotto and sestito can fill the role
Posted Image

#167 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

STOKED ON THIS UPGRADE ON VOLPATTI.

Sure, he only has 4 career goals but he's played only 34 games! That's pace for like 9-10 goals over 82.

He can throw hard hits. Sure, Patti could too, but Patti had to calculate every big hit, Sestito is huge so he has fewer limits in that way.

In the AHL he's about a .5 PPGer, in the OHL he was dominant.

EFFFFF YAAAA

#168 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Only concern I have is his reputation for taking bad penalties that hurt the team. Volpatti was able to hit like a train but do it legally. He was smart/good enough to know his role and not hurt the team .

TIme will tell.

Size Size Size that what he gives Vancouver. There has been a lot of dealing in the NHL of late. I think teams have made their evaluations. There's less time than other years. There is a bigger picture.

Better this guys hands than Kassian's.

Luongo will get traded and this move will be forgotten.

#169 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

I think mg wants volpatti over sestito as volpatti is more reliable, and we have invested in him over the last few years.

But the main point here is that they wanted to bring pinnozotto in and they couldn't do that without sending someone down.. schroeder is the only one who doesn't have to clear but we need a center so it wouldn't be him. Weise could have been a better guy to waive (debatable) but with the upcoming condensed schedule, weise would be better since he can eat up more minutes on the pk, has more offensive upside while being able to fight (though not as tough as volpatti).

So mg had to make this gamble which did not go our way, so he picked up another guy who could replace volpatti. Its not difficult to understand and isn't too big of a deal anyways.. hopefully we can get him back if he's waived by the caps or if not, then we'll have to hope pinnozotto and sestito can fill the role

I think you've nailed it.

How refreshing it would be if that is exactly the way Gillis communicates it, instead of some spin riddled insult to our intelligence.
Kevin.jpg

#170 rb4u

rb4u

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

And the waiver wire comes to the rescue of MG. Again.

#171 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

Because I love stats, here are some stats for you guys:

We gained 5 inches

We gained 13 pounds.

We got 2 years younger.

Player - Pts - G - A - +/- - PIM - BORN
Volpatti - 1 --- 1 -- 0 -- 0 -- 28 --- CDN - BC
Sestito -- 2 --- 2 -- 0 - +1 - 12 --- USA - NY

Stats never tell the full story, Volpatti is a better "tough guy" then Sestito

#172 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

STOKED ON THIS UPGRADE ON VOLPATTI.

Sure, he only has 4 career goals but he's played only 34 games! That's pace for like 9-10 goals over 82.

He can throw hard hits. Sure, Patti could too, but Patti had to calculate every big hit, Sestito is huge so he has fewer limits in that way.

In the AHL he's about a .5 PPGer, in the OHL he was dominant.

EFFFFF YAAAA

Edited by aqua59, 01 March 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#173 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

TIme will tell.

Bang on.

Google Sestito and you find a bunch of fights with no-names and a few with some heavier guys like Kass, Dubinsky, Prust ...all of whom hold their own against him. More concerning are the cheap shot, high and blind-side hits he seems to like to make.

I'm still not sure what Gillis is trying to accomplish here. Volpatti did what he did in the few minutes per game he was given by AV. Not sure Sestito changes anything.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#174 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Lapierre is gonna open his mouth wide & then Sestito is gonna beat up anyone who talks back.

Posted Image

#175 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

And the waiver wire comes to the rescue of MG. Again.

BOLD moves indeed!

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#176 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think he was a pickup simply because we lost Volpatti.
“I played for the Leafs for three years, I’m used to the booing so it won’t affect me” - Kyle Wellwood

#177 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

If everybody transcends their BC-boy sentiments for Volpatti they'll see they have a reason to be happy about this move. Regardless of it was intentional of Gillis' part or not.

It isn't like Patti could PK or PP or anything besides do well with his few minutes per game. Sestito can do that too.. in a bigger and better way.

#178 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

The thing with Sestito is he doesn't shy away from playing dirty as all hell.

This is the kind of guy who will (and has before) throw a dirty elbow or a hit from behind if you did something to his teammate he didn't like.

Hi Keith.

#179 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Just my opinion T. If I'm not happy with what's happening then that's what I say. If you don't like it well............you know the rest :rolleyes:

Your opinion is false, and a total bummer to read.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#180 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Prefer volpatti ans obviously a lot of other Gms do to if he got picked up by the 27th place team

Please people they were not on waivers at the same time. Sestito was placed on waivers after Volpatti was picked up. This is the reason Van was able to get Sestito, because they lost a player to waivers they get first pick at the next player/s to be put on waivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.