The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks at this years draft

Canuckler87

I'd like to see them pick Valentin Zykov, a puck-handling Patrick Kane type right wing (obviously not as good as Kane or else he wouldn't be ranked around 30, but he's probably the best right wing available at where I hope the Canucks will be picking, and it's a position that's really weak in the team's system). Barring that, Ristolainen, a big Finnish right-handed D, or Madison Bowey, another right-handed D out of Kolowna.

I have a feeling both will be drafted long before the Canucks have a shot at them (of course that's just me being optimistic about how the team will do in the playoffs). If you want a Knight, I think the more likely choice would be Zadorov. In the mock drafts so far this year he's been all over the board. If he drops down to where we can take him, I'd jump all over him. Big, mean defenseman who plays with patience in the offensive zone? Sign me up.

My mock draft:

1st round: I have no idea.

2nd round: Less clue than the 1st round.

3rd round: Still no idea.

4th round: Are you kidding me, if I didn't have a clue in the first three rounds what would make you think I'd have a clue now?

5th round: There's five rounds of drafting?

6th round: Holy, how long does this thing go on for?!

7th round: Haha, yeah, I gave up on this draft a long time ago. Who did we get anyways? jk jk, I'll read up on him later on CDC.

:bigblush: mad props to the ones who are really into the drafting tho.

. It's all going to come down to what the team feels it needs center wing or d, End of the day a team is getting a number 1 like pick at number 3 I feel like mackinnon is the safest pick of the bunch, drouin in biggest reward type player. Jones ur getting yourself a franchise 2 way D (don't wanna see 2 years in a row a Canadian not taken number 1:p)

And I would love to see canucks get there hands on Hartman that kid plays with intensity just love it

Looking at it, Houck has dropped off to like mid-4th round, we might be able to wait on getting him. Though I said that last year with Pelech, and he went as a high 3rd, 65th overall. I want to see Gillis draft a local boy who can play, and despite the Giants being extraordinarily bad this year, Houck has been a bright spot.

I can't believe some people still imagine MG will get anything of significance for Luongo; those days are Long gone. He had his chance and he totally blew it. In my opinion (assuming a trade ever happens, which at times seems highly unlikely) he'll get nothing.

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

For me, our 1st round pick comes down to 4 players.

D - Ian McChosen

W - Andre Burakovsky

W - William Carrier

W - Valentin Zykov

Burakovsky has dropped a bit, so maybe he will be available, in which case I would grab him, or else if not, I would look at taking Ian McChosen, then one of either Zykov or Carrier.

Can't go wrong with any of them, or maybe Robert Hagg but I would take McChosen over Hagg and all of those forwards are so good offensively and all bring such game breaking ability that you can't go wrong with any of them.

I can't believe some people still imagine MG will get anything of significance for Luongo; those days are Long gone. He had his chance and he totally blew it. In my opinion (assuming a trade ever happens, which at times seems highly unlikely) he'll get nothing.

"There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;

Omitted, all the voyage of their life

Is bound in shallows and in miseries."

Without sounding like Don Cherry, I hope the Canucks take more players this year out of the WHL and less players from the Q and Europe. My thinking is with good reasoning:

1.Players from the WHL are used to the grinding travel. They spend hours on a bus and often have to play the same day or travel throught the night and play the next day after getting into a city at 2-3 in the morning (sound familiar). This would be a big plus for a westcoast based team for which travel is always an issue

2. In general, the players from the west tend to have some more grit and edge to their game. The style of play in the WHL is more rough and tumble than the other two junior loops. I think the Canucks need to get some more players that have skill, but can play with that edge. Think Trevor Linden type.

3. The Canucks have basically ignored the WHL for years and the few players they have taked are guys like Grabner who was a Euro playing in Spokane. Everyone wants the Canucks to get grittier and have players that play with an edge. With all draft factors being "equal", I would lean toward the guy in the Canucks backyard, especially if they come from BC.

There are some great WHL players out there this year from the games I have seen. Many have been mentioned. I like Madison Bowey from the Kelowna Rockets alot. We all know what a Defenceman factory the Rockets have! (Schenn,Myers, Edler, Weber, Gorges etc etc.). Another player I like in Kelowna that went un-drafted last year is Myles Bell. Had some "legal" issues that caused him to get passed over, but has had a great year after being converted to forward(think Wendell Clark). Has good size, plays mean, and has a great shot. Wouldn't take hm in the first, but could be a steal in later rounds.

The guy I really like that I don't think was mentioned was Morgan Klimchuk of the Regina Pats. Great skater and a pure sniper! He will score 40+ goals playing on a horrible team. Should be available in the later first round.

Archived