The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian is a Power Forward not a Grinder!

NewYorkYankees8771

Can some people please stop all this "oh yeah I see Zack Kassian becoming a Steve Ott or Chris Neil third liner type of player down the road". He isin't getting points lately because he is being badly handled and should be in a top line role in my opinion (alternating with burrows) with more time on the power play.

The main thing is that based on his prior resume, he is destined to be a tough skilled guy, not some random goon.

This proves that he has the ability to be a top line or 2nd line guy(at the very worst):

- 4th overall in the 2007 OHL midget draft just behind ryan o'reilly, taylor hall and ahead of matt duchene, cam fowler, ryan ellis

- He put up 80 points in 57 games played that year in 2007 with the Windosr Midget AAA Spitfires, so this shows that he is no late bloomer, he was a scorer in minor hockey.

- Won gold at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka U-18 with guys like Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn,

- A point a game guy during his NHL draft year in 2009 (63 points in 61 games with the Peterborough Petes) (yet again shows he can produce)

- 13th Overall in the 2009 NHL Draft. ( If he was only destined to be just be a "goon" theirs no way he would have been drafted this high, obviously he can score.

- 77 points in 56 games in 2011 in his last year or junior

- Made the 2011 World junior team in his last year of junior ( he can skate)

- 26 points in 30 games with Rochester Americans of the AHL in 2011-2012

There you go, and what is my point you ask?

It is that Zack Kassian has a lot more potential offensively then his critics thinks he has and I believe he is being mistreated by Alain VIgneault by all of a sudden only getting third line minutes after his excellent start to the season (almost a goal a game). He should rotate with burrows on the top line and like I said, he has played with superstars before (Hall, Duchene etc...)

Steve Ott was prolific in the OHL, and he's a solid player here in the NHL too. Neil is definitely that grinder-type guy, but I don't see why Kassian can't get goals that way.

He doesn't possess the ability to hold his own on the first line, at least not now. Simply put, he doesn't deserve it. And right now, we're definitely not in a position to test his chemistry, since our team desperately needs wins.

Can some people please stop all this "oh yeah I see Zack Kassian becoming a Steve Ott or Chris Neil third liner type of player down the road". He isin't getting points lately because he is being badly handled and should be in a top line role in my opinion (alternating with burrows) with more time on the power play.

The main thing is that based on his prior resume, he is destined to be a tough skilled guy, not some random goon.

This proves that he has the ability to be a top line or 2nd line guy(at the very worst):

- 4th overall in the 2007 OHL midget draft just behind ryan o'reilly, taylor hall and ahead of matt duchene, cam fowler, ryan ellis

- He put up 80 points in 57 games played that year in 2007 with the Windosr Midget AAA Spitfires, so this shows that he is no late bloomer, he was a scorer in minor hockey.

- Won gold at the 2008 Ivan Hlinka U-18 with guys like Taylor Hall, Matt Duchene, Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn,

- A point a game guy during his NHL draft year in 2009 (63 points in 61 games with the Peterborough Petes) (yet again shows he can produce)

- 13th Overall in the 2009 NHL Draft. ( If he was only destined to be just be a "goon" theirs no way he would have been drafted this high, obviously he can score.

- 77 points in 56 games in 2011 in his last year or junior

- Made the 2011 World junior team in his last year of junior ( he can skate)

- 26 points in 30 games with Rochester Americans of the AHL in 2011-2012

There you go, and what is my point you ask?

It is that Zack Kassian has a lot more potential offensively then his critics thinks he has and I believe he is being mistreated by Alain VIgneault by all of a sudden only getting third line minutes after his excellent start to the season (almost a goal a game). He should rotate with burrows on the top line and like I said, he has played with superstars before (Hall, Duchene etc...)

Steve Ott was prolific in the OHL, and he's a solid player here in the NHL too. Neil is definitely that grinder-type guy, but I don't see why Kassian can't get goals that way.

He doesn't possess the ability to hold his own on the first line, at least not now. Simply put, he doesn't deserve it. And right now, we're definitely not in a position to test his chemistry, since our team desperately needs wins.

at this point he is still a project learning to play in the pro game..and that includes off ice preparation and maturing into his role and whats expected of him...I just hope he finds a niche to be consistent in the 4th line for now.

AV has probably lost the team, and we do need a coaching change but lets not forget what the man has acomplished.

I'm tired of people saying AV misshandes young tallent.

He does it the same with everyone.

Go back to Jr, play in the AHL.

work your way up the lineup while taking care of your end of the rink.

You can say he mishandled CoHo and Grabner because they dont play for us but part of the reason they thrive today was from the pace they developed.

It's frustrating, it's hard to watch, but it's best for the player.

I've never heard anyone say that Kass is a 'goon'. Most people on this board can see that he has some great skills and will eventually be an important player on this team. As we all know, players like Zak take longer to develop than the finesse players, as they have a broader game to learn. Having him play on different lines is the best way for him to learn the game. Giving him rewards (PP time and some shifts with the Sedins) will also keep him motivated. As far as I'm concerned, he was playing well with Booth and Higgy, which makes him a 3rd liner right now. In a couple of years, I think he will be a consistent 2nd liner.

I don't have a problem comparing him to Ott. Ott has been the most sought after player at trade deadline for the past couple of years. I am hopeful that Kass will outpace Ott and start looking more like Bert in the coming years.

Archived