121 replies to this topic

#91 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

The fact is the core of this team is the same - Sedins, Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler (though injured), Hansen, Edler, Raymond, Schneids and Lu have all been together here for years. Hammer, Higgins, Lappy, Ballard since the year of the SCF. A handful of players have left and some have come in. I certainly haven't sensed any tensions among the team, if anything the core is older and more comfortable together. I have no idea what AV meant by his comment, but I have a hard time believing the core that has been together as long as they have is suddenly no longer who and what they were.

#92 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Woah, woah you guys, calm yourselves, lol. When did I ever say I am any kind of authority on the Canucks? I was simply responding to a poster that questioned my fan-dom. Nowhere did I say that I'm right and everyone else is wrong. My opinion of the state of this team is mine. Not trying to enforce that on anyone else, like some of you are claiming. I just think some of you are a little too damn sensitive.

#93 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

BTW, I should make my feelings more clear. I do NOT want the Canucks to purposely try to lose. If they are indeed capable of turning it on, finishing this short season strong, and contending for the Cup then by all means, go for it! There's nothing I want more in the world as a Canucks fan than a Cup. What I'm trying to say is I simply don't believe this team good enough and if our GM recognized that and decided to rebuild, I would be very willing to endure the losing that would come with that, knowing the team will be better for it in the future.

I read a ton of Flames bashing on this board. Thing is, your Canucks will be just like those Flames you're ridiculing if Gillis continues to don the rose-coloured glasses and doesn't make any changes.

#94 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Every guy changes the chemistry.
There is a rookie blueliner and a hometown guy that signed - Sami and Rome moved on.

There is a new rookie third line center who is good for team chemistry. :bigblush:

One goaltender has one foot out the door - not easy.

One guy takes a lot of heat for Christian tweets and pictures of animals that he shot.

One guy keeps getting injured and probably isn't the best at dealing with the frustrating disappointment - he's got a chip on his shoulder (in a good and bad way) that needs to be worked off...

One guy broke his back, but now he's back in the saddle and playing very good hockey.

Some key guys seem steady, as usual...

Who knows - AV may have simply been asked a big, leading question and gave a short, relatively dismissive answer?

This is probably the best interpretation of AVs cryptic quip.

Chemistry builds consistency, so he could be referencing many other things.

I reckon everyone involved are scratching their heads about consistency and execution.

At least the AV detractors should be pleased that he didnt call anyone out by name thru the press, seeing as that seems to be one of the non-issues those folks enjoy pointing out for no good reason.

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#95 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:19 PM

Wouldn't read too much into it - as the media and most of you on this board always does.

We have some new players on the team and it's obviously going to take some time. LA didn't even gel until the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter where we place going into the playoffs - as long as we make it, and the team wakes up at the right time, we will be contenders.

Come playoff time, I think the boys will be playing with a lot more intensity. We saw glimpses of what they are capable of during the season, and I believe they will step up when necessary.

Plus, missing the team's emotional leader in Kesler hurts right now in rallying the troops. Chemistry is not something that can be forced, but it will come with time.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#96 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Wouldn't read too much into it - as the media and most of you on this board always does.

We have some new players on the team and it's obviously going to take some time. LA didn't even gel until the playoffs last year. It doesn't matter where we place going into the playoffs - as long as we make it, and the team wakes up at the right time, we will be contenders.

Come playoff time, I think the boys will be playing with a lot more intensity. We saw glimpses of what they are capable of during the season, and I believe they will step up when necessary.

Plus, missing the team's emotional leader in Kesler hurts right now in rallying the troops. Chemistry is not something that can be forced, but it will come with time.

Really nice transparent response. :)

Id just like to add to the bolded; being healthy for the first time in years since the recent success, would be so damn major.

1znsn4k.jpg

#97 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

But there is no history to show that the team will suddenly wake up at the right time unfortunately. Hopefully going through some actual adversity in the regular season here will prove more useful come playoff time than winning the President's Trophy and coasting the last 10 games did.

#98 bahaazar

bahaazar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like AV is running out of excuses for throwing games....

#99 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

But there is no history to show that the team will suddenly wake up at the right time unfortunately. Hopefully going through some actual adversity in the regular season here will prove more useful come playoff time than winning the President's Trophy and coasting the last 10 games did.

The Burrows slump buster?
Advanciing past the Hawks in the playoffs. Same with Nashville, when they were in danger of totally blowing it.
There have been more than a few galvanizing moments that have seen the team perform to where they need to be.
But yeah, i agree. They need this test. All of them. The whole organization.

1znsn4k.jpg

#100 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Sounds like AV is running out of excuses for throwing games....

And the stupidest post of the day award goes to....

1znsn4k.jpg

#101 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,703 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Let's take Kassian first: he's young, and IMO doesn't seem like a guy who knows, or accepts, his role yet. At the beginning of the year he was put with the Twins where he saw success, he scored goals, he went wild, the crowd went wild, his blood was rushing through him like a rookie on fire! Then AV took him off that line as a big power forward who scores goals and demoted him to the 4th line to be a grinder. Do you think Kassian was/is walking around the dressing room with a big positive smile on his face? No. We got a sense of his frustration too when he was caught arguing with Booth on the bench, which looked like him trying to tell Booth how to play. I noticed small confrontations with Booth twice fwiw.

can someone confirm/deny this actually happening

output_Pdq_B7_F.gif

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#102 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

can someone confirm/deny this actually happening

I saw them arguing on the bench one game and Kassian looked mad.

Edit: Might have even been the same game where Kassian was wide open in front of the net with no one around and Booth wouldn't pass it to him.

Edited by TheGame., 20 March 2013 - 08:05 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#103 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

I saw them arguing on the bench one game and Kassian looked mad.

Edit: Might have even been the same game where Kassian was wide open in front of the net with no one around and Booth wouldn't pass it to him.

Noticed that too. Im sure it wasnt as heated as it looked. But if that was the case, Kass was in the right.

How many times have you ever seen Booth playmake?

1znsn4k.jpg

#104 shadowgoon

shadowgoon

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

This team, and more importantly this organization is broken. Hell even the attending fans at most home games are in effect "broken". It's like a vicious circle jerk of disappointment.

The culture that was cultivated resulting in the Stanley Cup run of '11 and back to back President Trophy's along with the Jennings, Harts and Selke wins is long gone.

There is a huge rift, and a GM that seems desperate to fool himself into believing he's done all he can, when in reality all he's done is manage to make a few tweaks to a relatively inherited team; not to mention brutal decision making when it comes to player management.

We also have a coach who seems determined and stubborn as hell to not use the intellect he clearly has for the game to be dynamic and change things up, try new approaches; trying the same old thing game after game is exactly what led to an 0-36 powerplay slump which lets be honest cost the Canucks several games so far this season.

There are so many problems with this team it's hard to know where to begin, and generally when that happens you follow the mantra of "when in doubt, start at the top. Crap always rolls downhill." Perhaps if ownership cared about the actual product being put forth on the ice instead of taking the fans for granted (continuous sell outs, hottest ticket in town) and receiving a few million extra in revenue each year from at least a 1st round appearance in the playoffs, then maybe we would see some progress.

For all intents and purposes, the Aquilini's are no better when it comes to ownership of this club than John McCaw was back in the 90's; they are in effect absentee slumlords, delegating the running of the ship to upper management without caring for the upkeep and maintenance of their investment, so long as the money keeps rolling in everything's good.

I would start with a complete overhaul of the GM, Coaching staff and a few players moved that clearly don't want to be here; or perhaps that attitude changes with the coach and GM gone. Did anyone else notice the menacing scowl on Kesler's face in the pressbox last night?

I'm going to cut it short right there because if I continue I'm going to keep running around in circles and be up all night, at least maybe I would end up with a thesis at the end of it all and inspire a Jerry McGuire moment.

SHOW ME THE MONEEEEEEEY!

#105 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Tournaments and sisters? What is going in here... :bigblush:

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 20 March 2013 - 09:49 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#106 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Sounds like there is some stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. I am sure Manny is probably part of it, but I also think the goalie issue is also a problem. It must be very frustrating (even if Lu and Schenids are taking it with stride) for our entire team not knowing what's going on. I also think AV has lost the group and perhaps I would go as far as wonder if perhaps Dank isn't getting through to his team mates??? Not saying anything bad against the Sedins but there has been times in the last few months where I feel that he has not stepped up and done his job as Captain. The one instance that comes to mind right now is after one of the Canucks really bad loses (I can't recall which one perhaps the first Redwings one) Hank pretty much just said they were playing fine just not getting the bounces, and it looked like he really believed it. If the teams captain can not step up and not only admit that there is a problem but do something about it then perhaps there needs to be a changing of the guard. I also really hate to suggest this cause once again I like the sedins but I find it really upsetting to see other teams taking runs at them on the ice and NO ONE DOES ANYTHING. Its one of the reasons I really like Kassian on a line with them because he seems to be one of the only players who protects team mates.

Another issue I think that is happening is AV's constant line juggling is not allowing any of the players to develop chemistry with eachother which is ironic since AV is saying that there is a problem with team chemistry. Then stop juggling the lines its really simple AV really simple.

He was talking about the Redwings game and he had a point. The score made that game look way more lobsided than it was. The Canucks out chanced the wings 2-1 in that game. He meant they were doing the right things but pucks were just not finding the back of the net.

Also I have grown so tired of the Sedins getting run excuse. When was the last time someone even took a run at one of them? They are grown men, and have shown they have a toughness of their own. They do not need to be babied, they play along in the toughest areas on the ice, along the boards and in the corners.

And you wonder why AV is constantly line juggling? Hmmm let me see..He has been missing his 2nd line C and wing pretty much all season, has a winger playing the C on most nights, has a rookie playing C the others, he is missing his best face off man and 4th line anchor, his 1st d man is seriously underachieving (along with everyone not named Tanev), and 2 of his most consistent players are named Hansen and Raymond. You dont see the problem?

When your team is struggling , whether because of injuries or otherwise, you have to try and find a way to compensate. AV is taking it game by game and its really hard to blame him. If the forwards are having a good night, the goalies seem to struggle, if he goalies are tight, the defence is breaking down.

That 2nd period against the Blues showed me that if this team is playing the way they can, they can fight through all of this adversity, even against a team that is as good defensively as the Blues are. That was prob the best period of hockey I have seen them play this season. That was push back, that was a step in the right direction. Sure 2 flukey goals make it interesting, and I hate it when they sit back with a lead like that, but thats the way it was.

They just need to keep trying to build on it. Hopefully there will be some help on the way as well.

#107 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:27 PM

He was talking about the Redwings game and he had a point. The score made that game look way more lobsided than it was. The Canucks out chanced the wings 2-1 in that game. He meant they were doing the right things but pucks were just not finding the back of the net.

Also I have grown so tired of the Sedins getting run excuse. When was the last time someone even took a run at one of them? They are grown men, and have shown they have a toughness of their own. They do not need to be babied, they play along in the toughest areas on the ice, along the boards and in the corners.

And you wonder why AV is constantly line juggling? Hmmm let me see..He has been missing his 2nd line C and wing pretty much all season, has a winger playing the C on most nights, has a rookie playing C the others, he is missing his best face off man and 4th line anchor, his 1st d man is seriously underachieving (along with everyone not named Tanev), and 2 of his most consistent players are named Hansen and Raymond. You dont see the problem?

When your team is struggling , whether because of injuries or otherwise, you have to try and find a way to compensate. AV is taking it game by game and its really hard to blame him. If the forwards are having a good night, the goalies seem to struggle, if he goalies are tight, the defence is breaking down.

That 2nd period against the Blues showed me that if this team is playing the way they can, they can fight through all of this adversity, even against a team that is as good defensively as the Blues are. That was prob the best period of hockey I have seen them play this season. That was push back, that was a step in the right direction. Sure 2 flukey goals make it interesting, and I hate it when they sit back with a lead like that, but thats the way it was.

They just need to keep trying to build on it. Hopefully there will be some help on the way as well.

Lemme guess...you've played a lot of hockey in your life.
Posted Image

#108 Melons

Melons

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

vicious circle jerk of disappointment

Good band name? "Dude, just saw VCJD! They killed it!"

#109 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

The Burrows slump buster?
Advanciing past the Hawks in the playoffs. Same with Nashville, when they were in danger of totally blowing it.
There have been more than a few galvanizing moments that have seen the team perform to where they need to be.
But yeah, i agree. They need this test. All of them. The whole organization.

Burrows goal was a fluke play and if not for a tremendous save by Luongo off Sharp on the PP earlier it would have been a total collapse. Didn't they give up the tying short handed goal late in that game? To me that qualifies as NOT raising their game.

I don't think blowing a 3-0 series lead and needing OT in Game 7 to win can be seen as proof of anything other than what I originally said.......

#110 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

It seemed to me the team played like they were let down starting in the lead up to the trade deadline last year; and more so after.

It was like they were expecting a boost, like and Erhoff replacement or Shane Doan, to get them over the top which never came? Then with the lock out, and such time since the SCF appearance...

Probably need new blood to reinvigorate the team.

Oh well; I'm still cheering!!! :towel:

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff

AV made this comment earlier today and it reminded me of two of my hockey teams.

One year, our team came together and we fought like hell. There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done for one another. We trained for a tournament and became like a big groups of sisters. Went into the tournament, played our hearts out, and won the Championship.

The next year, essentially the same group of players started training for another tournament. Everyone was uncommitted, no one trained as hard, we weren't too close to each other, and we went into the tournament and lost.

How can a team with the same people be so different from year to year?

What might it be that has caused the "difference" in this Canucks team from teams of the past? I have to wonder if it has something to do with Manny. He really seemed like the glue of the team. And maybe there is some discord about how the Canucks have handled his situation?

Maybe the injuries are taking a toll?

Perhaps it's just a lack of motivation? To get to game 7 and not win the Cup has got to have emotional repercussions no?

The lack of chemistry is very notable. The team doesn't seem to be laying it all on the line for each other like they used to. Chemistry is so important. I hope the boys come together and are on the same page again soon. You can't win if you're not marching as one.

#111 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

Someone call up Naslund. Tell him we need him to grab Trev and then head on down and fix the nucks.

#112 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

they need to bring back the mountain climber and carabiners.

#113 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

they need to bring back the mountain climber and carabiners.

there are some terrible people that post on this forum but you are bar none the worst. everything you post is inane drivel that you somehow find funny.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#114 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,170 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

People are becoming fathers, which can change the focus (a lot). Priorities change as people take on new roles. Let's face it, even sleep is affected when there are new babies in the house.

I also strongly feel that a team that put it all out there and fell short will be impacted. They went to battle as brothers, but lost. There is likely frustration that follows and the deflation in coming so close likely means it's hard to get to that level again.

The lockout, and people "go on" with their lives...these guys just appear to have lost some of their drive. I honestly think the push for the playoffs may spark some.

Manny's absence as part of the team on the ice is likely a big part of that. Sami. Kes keeps things light and he's been hurt/absent in that sense. Plus, the goaltender thing is proably awkward. So many reasons.

Posted Image

#115 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

Ah Aladeen you have it wrong, what you are describing is not a fan but a "True Fan"..
A "True Fan" believes that everything is always perfect, that the GM and Coach are the smartest and the players are all the best that can ever be imagined. That we MUST all pull on the same rope or you will demonize with that everyready diminishment "Bandwagoner". You and Rup are "True Fans".
However the rest of us, we are just fans, we cheer when things are good and look for answers when they are not. Some of us do not like all of the players or the player decision made by management and staff, and we are not shy to say so. We have seen the rise and fall of the Habs and the Isles and the Oil. And seen the Canucks come close not once but twice and seen mismanagement lead them back into disarray. We've seen our favorite sons traded, and managers talk of driving to the airport or crying and knew that it was not good.
So you keep wearing your rose coloured glass' and you keep waving your "True Fan" flag and you keep believing you are better than the rest of us fans. You keep telling all who will listen that 5.3 until 43 is awesome and Ballard was the best deal available and GMMG has restocked the cupboard with the best talent there is, because when it starts to slip away you will always have Rup there to dry your tears.

What a silly post.

No-one said that "everything is perfect." We all realize that the team has issues. However, unlike some other so-called fans, we don't hope for failure in the hope that sweeping changes will be made, which we arrogantly believe is the only way to salvage the dire fortunes of the team that we claim to cheer for.

If the sky does fall, then changes will be made, as they should be. However, you'll have to excuse us "true fans" for not hoping that it will happen.

And the stupidest post of the day award goes to....

It'll be a tight race.....along with the two guys who are hoping the Canucks miss the playoffs...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#116 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

People are becoming fathers, which can change the focus (a lot). Priorities change as people take on new roles. Let's face it, even sleep is affected when there are new babies in the house.

I also strongly feel that a team that put it all out there and fell short will be impacted. They went to battle as brothers, but lost. There is likely frustration that follows and the deflation in coming so close likely means it's hard to get to that level again.

Manny's absence as part of the team on the ice is likely a big part of that. Sami. Kes keeps things light and he's been hurt/absent in that sense. Plus, the goaltender thing is proably awkward. So many reasons.

it's hard to believe in yourself and your team when you were shown you weren't good enough, and then proceeded to get worse in every way instead of better in the areas that needed improvement.

this team has no confidence, nor should they.

#117 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,905 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

exactly. there is not a team in sports that would not miss this kind of leadership, Gillis made a massive mistake letting Salo leave

I am Sami's biggest fan, I watch Bolts games now because he is on the team, but to make a sweeping statement like 'massive mistake'. I am not too sure about that. Seems to me the trouble is power play goals and overall team scoring, and as a huge Salo fan I can tell you he was good on the PP for sure, but as for overall goals, not exactly the 'massive issue' we are searching for. We are middle of the road in both goals for and goals against..and that makes us a middle of the road team. Sami typically has less than ten goals in a whole season, he recently scored just his third of the year in Tampa. Dont get me wrong, I wish he was here still in our jersey for sentimental reasons, he is my league wide favorite Dman and he is still better than most of them, but it was not a massive mistake in not coming to terms with him, sad as it was to see him go.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#118 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,611 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

I am Sami's biggest fan, I watch Bolts games now because he is on the team, but to make a sweeping statement like 'massive mistake'. I am not too sure about that.  Seems to me the trouble is power play goals and overall team scoring, and as a huge Salo fan I can tell you he was good on the PP for sure, but as for overall goals, not exactly the 'massive issue' we are searching for. We are middle of the road in both goals for and goals against..and that makes us a middle of the road team. Sami typically has less than ten goals in a whole season, he recently scored just his third of the year in Tampa. Dont get me wrong, I wish he was here still in our jersey for sentimental reasons, he is my league wide favorite Dman and he is still better than most of them, but it was not a massive mistake in not coming to terms with him, sad as it was to see him go.

Well said.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#119 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I am Sami's biggest fan, I watch Bolts games now because he is on the team, but to make a sweeping statement like 'massive mistake'. I am not too sure about that. Seems to me the trouble is power play goals and overall team scoring, and as a huge Salo fan I can tell you he was good on the PP for sure, but as for overall goals, not exactly the 'massive issue' we are searching for. We are middle of the road in both goals for and goals against..and that makes us a middle of the road team. Sami typically has less than ten goals in a whole season, he recently scored just his third of the year in Tampa. Dont get me wrong, I wish he was here still in our jersey for sentimental reasons, he is my league wide favorite Dman and he is still better than most of them, but it was not a massive mistake in not coming to terms with him, sad as it was to see him go.

Agree for the most part. My jaw almost hit the floor when I saw that he got multiple years at $3.5M with Tampa Bay...but in retrospect, that was largely because I think I had taken Sami for granted at hometown discounts. I (and all of Vancouver) seemed to be saying that he had played his way to a minor raise ($2.5M) but the truth was that he (like Burrows and the Sedins) had been signing here for less than market value for the last few years...

I suppose I agree that "massive mistake" is a bit of a hyperbole, but when I see what our other defensemen have been doing this year (and our top 5 all make more than Sami's 3.5)... I would be glad to have Sami back at 3.5 for more than just sentimental reasons.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#120 senorsnipes

senorsnipes

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

Does anyone think that AV switching the lines every damn night creates ZERO chem. If you have played played hockey before you know it takes a while to build chem. I know there are injuries but you have to keep guys together for a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.