The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Ryane Clowe

After shaftin them a few years ago with White and Rahimi for Ehrhoff..... Im sure we might be expected to offer something decent. That being said, a half injured Clowe is not worth a 1st plus prospect... 3rd plus Connaughton is the max I would pay for him.

Again, he is injured and might be a moot point during 2nd/3rd round of playoffs if we make it that far. Pick can be conditional 2nd if he does re-sign with us..... But at what price is that?

Clowe imo is a redundant piece here.

Who's spot is he going to take?

Daniel

Booth

Higgins

Obvious answer is Booth. But is Clowe actually better than Booth?

Higgins imo is not only better than Clowe, but brings a whole lot of intelligence, versatility, and work ethic to this team while being a far better cap value.

Unlike most people here, I'd rather have Booth and wouldn't deal him 1 for 1 for Clowe. Booth has struggled a bit to score here (which I think is generally quite overstated - 16 goals in 56 games last year with a knee injury and a patchy 2nd line), while this year he played with Lapierre and an injured Kesler in his time here - despite that, Booth has consistently better underlying numbers than Clowe, who plays with some pretty high-end talent, primarily centered by Couture and Marleau/Pavelski.

Booth is judged too quickly imo for not producing enough goals in his intermittent stretches here - he drives possession and territory better than Clowe - and aside from that, over the course of his career has scored more goals (for the low scoring Panthers), hits as frequently as Clowe does (a bit smaller but plays a power game), is a much better skater, and imo is an under-rated two-way/defensive player. Booth carries his weight the length of the ice. He's also already signed at a comparable cap hit, and cost us a pair of UFAs. Clowe's underlying numbers haven't been bad, but in context they're not very impressive - I just don't see him as an upgrade, particularly if he's unable to produce playing with the top 6 he does in SJ. Clowe might pass the puck slightly better, but that's difficult to judge, againg taking his linemates into consideration.

Booth as far as I'm concerned simply doesn't make friends with his off-ice prosthelytizing, but otherwise is a good on-ice top 6 LW.

Clowe would be helpful this season in Booth's absence however, and perhaps the two could fight for the 2nd line role when Booth returns, however I'd rather have Higgins (who I want re-signed asap) moving forward if I had to choose between the two, and Higgins needless to say costs no assets - and with Burrows, Hansen, and Kassian at RW, and Raymond alternating between, the wings are fairly crowded here.

As far as I'm concerned, the reported asking price for renting Clowe is ridiculous. A crazy premium for size.

If the price were right - ie Rodin and a 3rd - maybe.

Otherwise, let someone else overpay. The team doesn't really need a LW who isn't really a marquis upgrade on what we already have.

Iginla gets traded to the Bruins for a CONDITIONAL 1st and 2 mid-level prospects while Doug Wilson wants a 1st pick and a prospect. GTFO! If Gillis was willing to pay that much for a rental, we would've been better off trading for Iginla. Doug Wilson is off his rocker if he thinks Clowne is worth that much. Iginla >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clowne.

Archived