The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Higgins re-signs for 4 years, $2.5M per

Ya, two years ago wasn't it?

Pahlsson (you know the same Pahlsson who sounded pissed about even being traded here)

Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Plus Ballard, Luongo, etc. sitting here eating cap space an not playing when the team needs obvious help?

Wow ya don't work the phones too hard there Gillis.

Honestly, someone mentioned him waiting for the right trade........there is an old saying in business. I am paraphrasing a bit here but something along the lines of a good opportunity today is often better than waiting for the perfect opportunity tomorrow. My old advanced economics professor would have described Gillis' trading "patience" as the definition of opportunity cost.

Ya, two years ago wasn't it?

Pahlsson (you know the same Pahlsson who sounded pissed about even being traded here)

Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Plus Ballard, Luongo, etc. sitting here eating cap space an not playing when the team needs obvious help?

Wow ya don't work the phones too hard there Gillis.

Honestly, someone mentioned him waiting for the right trade........there is an old saying in business. I am paraphrasing a bit here but something along the lines of a good opportunity today is often better than waiting for the perfect opportunity tomorrow. My old advanced economics professor would have described Gillis' trading "patience" as the definition of opportunity cost.

That is the funny thing about "opportunity". If everyone offers you a similar opportunity over a long period of time, that is as good as it will likely get. At that point the issue is not with the opportunity itself but with your perception of it.

So in terms of a trade, you really believe that there has been no "good" opportunity ever presented for any Canuck player that would have made our team better, improved our cap situation, filled holes in our roster, etc.?

I actually think we will see more of this in the 'new' NHL.

There might be a couple of them tomorrow or Wednesday but there might be a few of them before July 1st.

If the player.... especially.... knows which team he is being dealt to then why not negotiate with the GM you already know rather than taking a chance on a new dynamic? Also, from a player's perspective, once the ink is dry you will know that the team trading for you actually really wants you. Having the LNTC just gives you a little more meat on the bones.

And to answer your earlier question, the Sens signed and traded Hossa on 08/23/05

MG: "Ya Shero, what do you want?"

Shero: "Higgins......and I only want to give up Crosby and his busted chiklets."

MG: "Sorry Ray, no can do. He deserves to be on our team. And that NTC thing gives him the right to say no to Pittsburgh."

Shero: "I understand Mike. Look, I have to go, I am going to go pick up Iginla for a song."

MG: "No problem, maybe we can talk again in the summer."

Good price, bad term. LNTC ain't too big of a deal, but this has potential to screw us just because of the term and a small probability of screwing us with the NTC. Hate to bring the negativity, but Gillis doesn't seem to have a fantastic track record when it comes to signing deals. You could argue good deals for Sedins and Burr, but something tells me those are gimmes. All 3 of those players are extremely humble and love the city of Vancouver. Not too hard of a sell for GMMG.

Archived