The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Higgins re-signs for 4 years, $2.5M per

For people saying this isn't a good deal...you dont know what your talking about. Higgins is one of our hardest working players night in and night out. He's worth every penny. Great deal.

I personally don't think this will be the only contract signed tomorrow.

Higgins is loved by the guys in the locker room so it totally makes sense he would get re-signed. Getting the "popular" players signed helps get other players to stick around.

I believe Lapierre has outplayed his original contract as well with the team and at 28 years old Gillis will love to get him to a contract of somewhere around the same term length. Lappy loves the city and met his fiance here shortly after signing, I am expecting him to receive somewhere in the range of 4yr/5M contract and it would be fitting that he signs the contract around the same time as Higgins as they came here together, and have both played their parts perfectly.

Raymond on the other hand is an interesting storyline. I personally think he has earned a nice new contract but I have a feeling that he wants more than the canucks can comfortably give him with our cap situation, and therefore will be traded tomorrow/wednesday. In the past it seemed that Gillis did not discuss contracts with his players during the season to keep from distraction but with a. the teams lackluster play and b. the salary cap situation next year, he has his hands tied and needs to get some of this done beforehand so summer isn't such a cluster****.

Tanev I don't see as having had discussions for a contract yet but I may be wrong, His RFA status allows gillis to work on more pressing manners for now., but I expect him signed shortly after the playoffs.

I like Higgins.

Not happy or unhappy with this deal. It's in a neutral price point where it can't hurt. I was certainly wrong as I projected he would be a cap casualty and go UFA at the end of the year.

I like Raymond better, more dangerous offensively. How good Jensen looks will probably determine if Raymond hangs about; but I don't really see him moving unless we add someone else and need cap relief. We're not really seller's it seems... Time will tell, perhaps a Ballard or Booth move will impact, if we keep Raymond now.

Actually Opportunity Cost is better defined by someone who puts work in to create value. In MG terms, that's sorta like pumping up Hodgson to trade for Kassian. :lol: More traditionally it's like developing a prospect so you get results out of them, or can trade them. The cost is in the work, or what you pay depending if buyer or seller.

Sorta like buying a Mac's milk or cab license to get a job, rather than building a business from scratch which is a perfect definition of opportunity cost.

What you speak of might be opportunity lost, which was getting to be an opinion around here...

Ya, two years ago wasn't it?

Pahlsson (you know the same Pahlsson who sounded pissed about even being traded here)

Hodgson for Kassian

In two years?

Plus Ballard, Luongo, etc. sitting here eating cap space an not playing when the team needs obvious help?

Wow ya don't work the phones too hard there Gillis.

Honestly, someone mentioned him waiting for the right trade........there is an old saying in business. I am paraphrasing a bit here but something along the lines of a good opportunity today is often better than waiting for the perfect opportunity tomorrow. My old advanced economics professor would have described Gillis' trading "patience" as the definition of opportunity cost.

AYS mean

I am aware what a limited NTC is. My point is that the player being able to limit the trading partners ALWs more when the time that you want to trade the guy comes. Higgins is not a guy you give a NTC of any kind to imo.

For all you guys saying it is not a big deal, you need to re-think that. The market for trading players is small enough in a cap environment.

I don't know about you guys.... this is another one of those awesome signings by Mike gillis, (in before shoving the Luongo contract in my face) but this season and last season if you calculate it to 82 games, its a 22 goal pace. He's currently on pace for 22 goals if its an 82 game season, which is awesome if you ask me. by the time his contract is over he's 33 years old....

I am personally expecting Raymond to sign something similar.

All our players are hard workers. It is an insult to the rest to single him out. What we need is playoff numbers..........so yes I'm not happy with the amount OR the length and I like to think my opinion is as good as yours.

Archived