The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it not time to give Luo a run!?

i meant that in reference to Luongo, obviously he has had blowouts in the playoffs. but to say it's all he's done in his career is a stretch.

4 games come to mind: Game 6 2009 vs the Blackhawks, Game 4 2010 vs the Blackhawks, Game 4 2011 vs the Blackhawks and of course the big one Game 3 2011 vs Boston.

Bad, but 4 games is hardly doing it all his career

Ok gotcha. The only thing is that his career has only consisted of one more playoff year didn't it? You have to add in game 6 vs Boston, that one was terrible i think more so than game 3 as it was one they could have clinched in.

If we could have had the Luongo from the 2007 playoffs, not one of these threads would exist!! Cup or no cup no one would say a thing bad about him!

They say Schneids will be the undisputed starter for the playoffs on 1040. Makes sense given that he's been trending up and you want to give him a shot.

On the other hand, I say, if there's a time to give Lu a chance to win his job back, it's now. If he feels pressured to go all out, and prove all his doubters wrong, now is high time. Let him go on the run until he wins his job back and gets win #16.

As much as I dislike Luongo, he's on the team and we may need him in the playoffs, he should probably start 2-3 of the last 7 games to make sure he's ready.

As for the team being in a slump? we lost a game on Saturday with 7 seconds remaining, Luongo is just as prone to do the same. The team needs to be set for lines, AV needs to stop putting them in a blender mid-game. If he wants to try Kes and Burr together and someone else like Hansen on the Twins line, then he can't keep putting Burr back with the twins and Lapierre with Kes.

i meant that in reference to Luongo, obviously he has had blowouts in the playoffs. but to say it's all he's done in his career is a stretch.

4 games come to mind: Game 6 2009 vs the Blackhawks, Game 4 2010 vs the Blackhawks, Game 4 2011 vs the Blackhawks and of course the big one Game 3 2011 vs Boston.

Bad, but 4 games is hardly doing it all his career

As we have been watching this team struggling (yes, struggling despite the "nice" little run we had a week and so ago), we have seen Cory recieve a run and Im going to suggest that it wasn't that spectacular, even though winning was present.

The reality seems that our run consisted of extremely tight defensive hockey combined with bottom-feeding teams, with the results being narrow victories; something that will not cut it in the playoffs.

As this team is inching towards the possibilty of being considered a contender once again, perhaps it is time that management allows Luo to run with the starts for a while to see what he can do. Because lets be honest, if we compare the two goalies (yes they are both "good") Luo has looked the higher caliber net-minder, producing amazing results, while Cory has been the more "average."

There are more than only 4 games. Here's some research excluding the 4 games you mentioned.

2009 - Game 2 vs Chicago - 6-3L, 5 goals on 31 shots.

2010 - Game 2 vs LA - 5-3L, 4 goals on 16 shots.

2010 - Game 3 vs Chicago - 5-2L, 5 goals on 35 shots.

2010 - Game 6 vs Chicago - 5-1L, 5 goals on 35 shots.

2011 - Game 5 vs Chicago - 5-0L, 4 goals on 12 shots.

2011 - Game 5 vs Nashville- 4-3L, 4 goals on 23 shots.

2011 - Game 4 vs Boston - 4-0L, 4 goals on 20 shots.

2011 - Game 6 vs Boston - 5-2L, 3 goals on 8 shots.

2011 - Game 7 vs Boston - 4-0L, 3 goals on 20 shots.

Now granted, some of these games aren't super terrible but still not good enough from a supposed elite goaltender. With the 4 other bad games I didn't include in this list, that makes 13 crap games in 3 playoff seasons. 47 games total, so on average you can expect a flop from Luongo every 3 to 4 games on average.

Why even bother having a highly paid "elite" goaltender if these are the results your'e going to get with regularity? He's simply not suited for playoff action.

So go ahead and book your seat on the "run Schneider out of town" bandwagon to avoid the rush later because I can tell you right now he will have bad games too, including in the playoffs. Maybe he'll have fewer than Luo, maybe he'll have more. We don't know. But I can promise you you're going to be disappointed if you're going in with the notion that a true elite goalie won't have any.

I love when people throw cap hit in.

Luongo's 5.3 mil cap does not equal PAY CHEQUE, Luongo's contract was circumventing the cap to fit him in. The owners still sign cheques for the year totaling 6.714 million dollars. And he gets that 6.714 million quaranteed for the next 5 years.

Schneider cheques total 3.5 million. Thats an overall difference of 3.214 million more Luongo is actually making. So no Schneider is NOT getting paid anywhere close to Luongo.

Just cause Luongo is cap friendly, You think the owners who his sign his cheques, like to fork over that much money when he is under performing.

I hate when people mistake cap hit for actual payment.

Luongo's 5.3 mil cap does not equal PAY CHEQUE, Luongo's contract was circumventing the cap to fit him in. The owners still sign cheques for the year totaling 6.714 million dollars. And he gets that 6.714 million quaranteed for the next 5 years.

Schneider cheques total 3.5 million. Thats an overall difference of 3.214 million more Luongo is actually making. So no Schneider is NOT getting paid anywhere close to Luongo.

Just cause Luongo is cap friendly, You think the owners who his sign his cheques, like to fork over that much money when he is under performing.

There are more than only 4 games. Here's some research excluding the 4 games you mentioned.

2009 - Game 2 vs Chicago - 6-3L, 5 goals on 31 shots.

2010 - Game 2 vs LA - 5-3L, 4 goals on 16 shots.

2010 - Game 3 vs Chicago - 5-2L, 5 goals on 35 shots.

2010 - Game 6 vs Chicago - 5-1L, 5 goals on 35 shots.

2011 - Game 5 vs Chicago - 5-0L, 4 goals on 12 shots.

2011 - Game 5 vs Nashville- 4-3L, 4 goals on 23 shots.

2011 - Game 4 vs Boston - 4-0L, 4 goals on 20 shots.

2011 - Game 6 vs Boston - 5-2L, 3 goals on 8 shots.

2011 - Game 7 vs Boston - 4-0L, 3 goals on 20 shots.

Now granted, some of these games aren't super terrible but still not good enough from a supposed elite goaltender. With the 4 other bad games I didn't include in this list, that makes 13 crap games in 3 playoff seasons. 47 games total, so on average you can expect a flop from Luongo every 3 to 4 games on average.

Why even bother having a highly paid "elite" goaltender if these are the results your'e going to get with regularity? He's simply not suited for playoff action.

Hahaha so you're talking about money now?

First of all you know nothing if u think his actual pay chq means anything. Only his cap hit means something... that's all that matters to fit under the salary cap. So no one gives a crap at what he actually takes home.

But trust me aquilini ddoesn't mind signing over 10 million or 6.5 or w.e to luongo.

His jersey sales and his three games where he stood on his head in the scf made aquilini plenty.

canucks played almost the maximum number of home games in ALL FOUR SERIES IN 2011 thanks to lu...

So give ur head a shake at thinking luongo has cost aquilini more money than gained him.

Archived