#1 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

POPULAR

I know there has been a lot of talk about trading Lui, and the difficulty finding a buyer because of his contract. We have an 'official' trade Luongo thread. How about a trade Schneider thread?

It think Cory is younger, slightly better now, and has a great contract. The problem is asset management. Here is my theory.

1) We trade Luongo and get virtually nothing for him, unless it include buyout salary back at us. So assuming we dont take on more salary, we can hope to get a second rounder and mid level prospect. Nonis already said no to his AHL Schrivens and 2 second rounders, so my offer is slightly less.

We have a 4 mil Schneider at age 27, but at age 29 he will want 7mil a year . This is even a bigger cap hit than luongo and there is no more loopholes anymore.

Worse, is when Luongo retires we have to still eat 1/2 his cap hit $2.6mil until he retires. The team we traded him to eats the other half.

2) We trade Schneider for a fine young entry level forward and some other piece, like a grinding tweener . My suggestion is Couturier and Simmonds from the flyers or some team willing to offer up some kind of similar value.

Then we have a 5.3mil Luongo until ust before he retires then trade him i to a team that wants the 1/2 cap hit . Luongos last 4 years are 3 mil then 1 mil . A team can pay that at the deadline to purchase the 2.6m cap hit.

I say Luongo 4 more years, Couturier , Simmonds, and then the 1/2 cap hit for the final 3 years is far more than Schneider and his 7 mil cap it starting in 2 years.

What do you guys think?

Please explain your theories. I like good debates.

#2 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

If Schneider could get us Couturier and Simmonds I'm all for it. But I honestly don't think Philly will accept that trade..

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#3 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

While your thread is well thought-out, there have been about a million threads about this already. :\

RIP LB RR PD

#4 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,967 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Cory for duchene.
WHATCHU GONNA DO WHEN MILLERMANIA RUNS WILDDDD ON YOU?!

#5 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I know there has been a lot of talk about trading Lui, and the difficulty finding a buyer because of his contract. We have an 'official' trade Luongo thread. How about a trade Schneider thread?

It think Cory is younger, slightly better now, and has a great contract. The problem is asset management. Here is my theory.

1) We trade Luongo and get virtually nothing for him, unless it include buyout salary back at us. So assuming we dont take on more salary, we can hope to get a second rounder and mid level prospect. Nonis already said no to his AHL Schrivens and 2 second rounders, so my offer is slightly less.

We have a 4 mil Schneider at age 27, but at age 29 he will want 7mil a year . This is even a bigger cap hit than luongo and there is no more loopholes anymore.

Worse, is when Luongo retires we have to still eat 1/2 his cap hit $2.6mil until he retires. The team we traded him to eats the other half.

2) We trade Schneider for a fine young entry level forward and some other piece, like a grinding tweener . My suggestion is Couturier and Simmonds from the flyers or some team willing to offer up some kind of similar value.

Then we have a 5.3mil Luongo until ust before he retires then trade him i to a team that wants the 1/2 cap hit . Luongos last 4 years are 3 mil then 1 mil . A team can pay that at the deadline to purchase the 2.6m cap hit.

I say Luongo 4 more years, Couturier , Simmonds, and then the 1/2 cap hit for the final 3 years is far more than Schneider and his 7 mil cap it starting in 2 years.

What do you guys think?

Not a bad theory but you build a winner from the goal out. I agree Schneider would fetch a healthy return. Schneider, over the last 2 seasons is about 1/3 goal per game better than Lou. With scoring diminishing in the NHL, 1/3 gpg is pretty substantial. You need to get a 28 goal scorer for Schneider JUST to break even. Schneider is one of the most technically sound goalie playing in the NHL, playing a style that is consistant and holds up under pressure because its all he knows. We can afford Schneids when we move Lou's salary. It would appear that contracts signed in the next couple of years will be lower due to the cap restrictions and what contracts teams have already signed .Its highly debatable that Schneider would either ask for 7 million or get it.

#6 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#7 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Im all for trading schneider
we need one of 2 things.

1. a true number one D- one of the handful in the league
Chara, Weber, Suter, Keith, Seabrook...
none of these guys are available

2. An unquestionable future star forward- my choice would be a centerman, but with the Canucks shortage of wingers in the system, I'd be totally cool with a star winger

ex: Giroux, E.Kane, strome +, B. Schenn,

I'd do

To PHI
Schneider
Ballard
McNally

To VAN
Schenn Brothers

or

Simmonds
Couturier
2nd

or

Giroux

To NYI
Schneider
Ballard

To VAN
Strome
Martin
2nd

#8 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

Let's just say for the sake of arguement Luongo and Schneider are exactly equal as far as how well they play and what they can do for us.

Luongo gives us say 4 more years.
Schneider gives us 10 more years.

You trade Schneider you are taking an awful big risk we will have somebody of the same calibre to take over in 4 years. Before you say Lack is coming, just because Lack has done well in the AHL means nothing when it comes to making in the NHL. We've had plenty of other young goalies brought up through the system or that we have traded for that didn't pan out.

Edited by Gman, 15 April 2013 - 04:53 PM.

Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#9 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

I agree but I think its a worthy discussion. What do you think we can get for him? Or is it worth it just to trade Luongo?

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,192 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 15 April 2013 - 05:10 PM.

zackass.png

#11 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

While your thread is well thought-out, there have been about a million threads about this already. :\

that's the difference between his thread and most of the others though

#12 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

we need one of 2 things.

We do have a true #1 defenseman. His name is Dan Hamhuis.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#13 canuckfan85

canuckfan85

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

I agree but I think its a worthy discussion. What do you think we can get for him? Or is it worth it just to trade Luongo?

we could get...

we need one of 2 things.

2. An unquestionable future star forward- my choice would be a centerman, but with the Canucks shortage of wingers in the system, I'd be totally cool with a star winger

ex: Giroux, E.Kane, strome +, B. Schenn,

I'd do

To PHI
Schneider
Ballard
McNally

To VAN
Schenn Brothers

or

Simmonds
Couturier
2nd

or

Giroux

To NYI
Schneider
Ballard

To VAN
Strome
Martin
2nd

#14 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

I don't know where you've been the whole time, but there was one. Even then, there have been any number of threads talking about moving Schneider instead of Luongo, both rumours, proposals, and just general discussion of the possibility.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#15 Gman

Gman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

Schneider for Brule?
Posted Image

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the same sense to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart." - H.L. Mencken

"When you understand why you don't believe in other people's gods, you will understand why I don't believe in yours."- Albert Einstein

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs." - Unknown

"Atheism is a non-prophet organization" - Unknown

#16 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Schneider is not going anywhere. Luongo's got lit up in 50% of playoff series here other than in his first year. That's a large enough sample size to be reasonably confident improvement isn't imminent.

No amount of extra offense can help us if our goalie turns into a sieve.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#17 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

If we get a reasonable offer, yeah sure. But I just don't see it happening. Schneider is the guy going to play for us in the future. As much as I love Luongo, I doubt it would happen.

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#18 wizeman

wizeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

I really do think its the best for our long term future. Besides, Luongo can handle going on a cup run. He just did one. This time with a lot less wear and tear on his body.

For those who want to trade Lui, I would like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how it plays out in the future. I think its going to suck and Schneider is going to ask for 7 mil.

#19 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

What do you guys think?

You do have good points. If we were going to get a Schneider deal done with Philly I would like to see a combination (not all) of the Schenns/Simmonds/Couturier/1st coming back to Vancouver.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#20 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

WE....

ARE.....

NOT.....

TRADING....

SCHNEIDER......

its that simple
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#21 Fibbing

Fibbing

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

You do have good points. If we were going to get a Schneider deal done with Philly I would like to see a combination (not all) of the Schenns/Simmonds/Couturier/1st coming back to Vancouver.

WE....

ARE.....

NOT.....

TRADING....

SCHNEIDER......

its that simple

This is probably the dumbest post I have seen in a while. It explains nothing in the slightest. It just demands.

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

WE....

ARE.....

NOT.....

TRADING....

SCHNEIDER......

its that simple

Every time I see you say that I will say this (I've done it several times already):
GILLIS...
WILL...
LISTEN...
TO...
ANY...
OFFER...
FOR...
ANY...
PLAYER...
THAT...
WILL...
IMPROVE...
OUR...
TEAM.

That means Schneider could be included in a deal if the return is great enough. Is it likely? Not very, but it is possible, so to say anything as an absolute yes or no is not very smart.

Edited by elvis15, 15 April 2013 - 10:18 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#23 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:53 PM

WE....

ARE.....

NOT.....

TRADING....

SCHNEIDER......

its that simple

So if the options are buy-out Luongo and lose him for nothing or trade him for nothing just for the sake of trading him. or trade Schneider for something that will significantly improve our team, you would choose the former?

I'm glad you aren't our GM

Edited by Primus099, 15 April 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#24 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

I really do think its the best for our long term future. Besides, Luongo can handle going on a cup run. He just did one. This time with a lot less wear and tear on his body.

For those who want to trade Lui, I would like to hear a reasonable explanation as to how it plays out in the future. I think its going to suck and Schneider is going to ask for 7 mil.

Did you pull the 7 million out of your hat or arse? Just wondering?

#25 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Why would u trade either if our defense sucks and they gotta steal games? Every game either Schneider or Luongo got a steal a game cuz defense forgot how to play.

#26 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:00 AM

Let's just say for the sake of arguement Luongo and Schneider are exactly equal as far as how well they play and what they can do for us.

Luongo gives us say 4 more years.
Schneider gives us 10 more years.

You trade Schneider you are taking an awful big risk we will have somebody of the same calibre to take over in 4 years. Before you say Lack is coming, just because Lack has done well in the AHL means nothing when it comes to making in the NHL. We've had plenty of other young goalies brought up through the system or that we have traded for that didn't pan out.

With the makeup of this team and the age of its core players, it is probably a pretty safe bet that at least a moderate rebuild will be happening within the next 5 years or so at the absolute most. So in that sense if we can get 4 or 5 years of good goaltending we will likely be bringing in a new goalie by that time anyway. To years ago Luongo was our undisputed franchise goalie. Things can obviously change quickly and could just as easily do so for Schneider in Vancouver.

#27 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:46 AM

So if the options are buy-out Luongo and lose him for nothing or trade him for nothing just for the sake of trading him. or trade Schneider for something that will significantly improve our team, you would choose the former?

I'm glad you aren't our GM

Dumping Luongo for no return would gain the team valuable cap space and we're gonna need it next season. He's not much help parked on the bench anyways, not to mention that he's fairly obviously ready for a divorce from the Canucks.

#28 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:22 AM

Considering the fact that we should aim to win a Cup within the next 2 or 3 years and not in 5 or 6 years, we should keep Luongo. In 5 years, Schneider may still be playing well but oh boy is our defence going to suck, and our offence will be pathetic. There's honestly no point even trying once the Sedins are finished in 10.

This is why we should go all in NOW. Schneider gets us better return, and quite simply all we want to do is give our team the best chance to win a Cup.

Return for Schneider + Current Luongo play + Our current stars performance > Return for Luongo + Schneider peaking in 3 years + Our future team's performance

Possibly more importantly, we have Lack and Climie waiting in the wings. If we keep Schneider and trade Luongo, this whole debate will strike up again once Lack is NHL ready, which isn't too far off. However, with Luongo Lack is the perfect replacement in terms of age. Lack needs maybe 1 more solid year in the AHL, followed by a couple of years as a backup. That's 3 years away - perfect timing for replacing Luongo. Schneider on the otherhand will be hitting his prime in 3 years which is when ONCE AGAIN we'll have a starter goalie and an AHL star pushing for his position.
Posted Image

#29 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:19 AM

There is no guarantee whatsoever that Lack or whomever else in our farm will be an NHL caliber goaltender, you simply cannot count on that.

We have a sure-thing with Schneider for up to a decade if he's re-signed here, whereas with Luongo we know by history what he will provide in the playoffs. Hot and cold goaltending, the cold usually coming at the worst possible times.

Schneider should stay.

#30 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

how's Schneider a sure-thing when this is really his first season playing majority of the game?? was Mason or Raycroft a sure thing when they won the calder? they both definitely have the skill.. but it never fully developed. Schneider have all the tools and potential.. but he's far from being a sure thing until he plays multiple 82 game seasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.