The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Recall] Derek Joslin

How does that make sense? If he was their best d-man, why would they send him to Worchester?

He was horrible every time he played from what I saw. He never fit into the team and was a disappointment from the get go.

The Wolves are fighting for their playoff lives right now. The fact that they still don't want Joslin after the Sharks were eliminated says everything.

Barker was terrible but I'd love to see Vandermeer get a shot, no idea why he hasn't. He's one of the few NHL veterans we have on this team.

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Alberts

Vandermeer - Ballard

That's a monster defence right there, very physical and good for the playoffs. Hopefuly Joslin knows how to hit.

It was a trade for Danny Groulx and Jon Matsumoto.

Really though, not much that the Wolves do right now is making sense. Jensen is a 3rd/4th liner with no PP time, and Sterling and Haydar are doing jack all defensively and give no s**ts yet they get played every other shift because Arniel plays favourites more than any coach I've seen since one of the kid's on my Lacrosse team's dad was the coach and he was the "star" player and even got my number even though I beat him in the shootout for it.

I know the AHLers generally send over their best guys, but it's important to remember the differences between the NHL and AHL, and what NHL experience means.

A guy like Joslin really hasn't been in the NHL for very long, so isn't use to the pace and pressure difference compared to in the AHL. Sure, he may be playing better than a guy like Vandermeer right now, but I'd take Vandermeer in a heartbeat over Joslin. The guy is a PROVEN NHLer, you know what you're getting out of him and he knows what to expect from the NHL style of play.

AHL success rarely translates to NHL success, or Jason Krog would be the Art Ross winner year after year. Physicality, speed and experience set the two leagues apart and Vandermeer is far better adjusted for the big league than anyone else on the Wolves team.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 1m

The #Canucks have called up defenseman Derek Joslin from Worcester. Vancouver loaned Joslin to Worcester at the AHL trading deadline.

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 1m

The Richmond Hill, Ont native will make his Canucks debut with Kevin Bieksa injured. Van signed Joslin as free agent last summer for depth.

Bieksa must be worse for wear than we thought

Sauve>>>Joslin to be honest.

I don't know why it took so long for Arniel to give him an opportunity. The guy is big and is a smooth skater. He just needs more confidence in his game. And the only way to do that is to play him.

No cap space worries or roster limitations for the move, so they felt why not bring him up. Worcester is out of the playoffs so they knew it wouldn't hurt their roster by bringing him up and they were going to bring him up once the AHL season ended anyway.

according to gilman that was the reason they brought him up

Archived