The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Alberts, you are really...

I thought Alberts played a solid game last night and overall more times then not he's a guy that does a lot of good things well that go unnoticed.

The thing about Alberts is he does tend to make 1-3 gaffes per game and they look pretty bad so thats all thats noticed.

I would much rather have Alberts in the lineup then that slow, lost behind the pace hack Barker. At least Alberts brings something good to the table that helps the team making several good solid plays a game but Barker does absolutely nothing to help the team and can only hurt it.

Alberts should play the #6 spot instead of Ballard. His physicality is definitely something that we'll need during the playoffs, especially if we face St. Louis in the 1st round.

Hamhuis - Garrison

Edler - Bieksa/Tanev

Alberts - Tanev/Bieksa

He was solid last night. Reminds me a bit of a combination between Willie Mitchell and Shane O'Brien, which is pretty solid for a bottom pairing guy.

Rock solid on D, physical, and safe smart plays out of the zone. Against Detroit he played over 24 minutes and helped keep their top guns off the scoreboard.

One thing I have noticed about Alberts since he arrived is that he hits hard along the boards, maybe harder than any Canuck during his tenure here. He doesn't have the jaw dropping open ice hits but he really pounds guys when fighting for the puck.

Playing much better this season, actually. Way better than he has in previous years. He's sticking up for teammates, playing solidly defensively, and constantly jumping up into the rush without being a defensive liability. Really solid 6th defenseman, never mind 7th. I'm comfortable with him slotting into our top 4 if injuries require it... Just took him some time.

Just gotta love the big hits, big shot, and solid play. Just love it!

I have actually liked Albie from the beginning, just took him a little longer to adjust than we had hoped but now he finally looks comfortable and is playing like a 6'5'' d-man with decent hands should. If he got put in some more offensive situations i would really like to see how he would do. And if Corrado keeps playing like he did last night i would not be surprised to see Alberts and him as the 3rd d-pair more often. Right now, Alberts is an improvement over Ballard and i think Corrado has more potential than Tanev.

Playing much better this season, actually. Way better than he has in previous years. He's sticking up for teammates, playing solidly defensively, and constantly jumping up into the rush without being a defensive liability. Really solid 6th defenseman, never mind 7th. I'm comfortable with him slotting into our top 4 if injuries require it... Just took him some time.

Just gotta love the big hits, big shot, and solid play. Just love it!

I always thought Alberts got a bad rap even his first season. He made some bad plays for sure but he has worked hard and is a valuable depth guy. Barker is more of the same old no physical play nor emotional involvement in the game. He looks like a robot out there and honestly I think he is a slower skater than Alberts is by a fair margin. I like how Alberts looks playing with Ballard this season more than I do with Tanev or Bieksa though.

I have always been an Alberts backer, but people on the CDC (and Canucks fan as a whole) like to have a whipping boy. True enough, he did deserve some ridicule for his play right after we acquired him (what a horrible playoffs for him), but whenever he has been called upon since he has done he job.

He will never be flashy, or put up points, but given the little amount of games he slots into, I think he has been very good. He is something this team sorrily lacks on the back end, real size. He is a solid stay at home, who can be absolutely punishing from a physical standpoint. And when matched up against the leagues most potent offence, he played remarkably.

I wonder just how much better he could be, if he had reg time on the ice, and with it more confidence in his game. I would certainly put him above Barker and Ballard, but I have always said that.

Archived