The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian as a hockey player

KelVintage

Dear OP:

I hope you don't tell others in the public you're a Canucks fan.

Kassian has good hands for a big body like himself, with good vision and play making abilities. At a young age, consistency is usually a problem. Hodgson is their top center right now playing with Vanek & was with Pominville for most of the season, their top players. Yeah no kidding he'd be in a better situation. If Kesler never had any injuries, Hodgson would not have been any different than Schroeder's current situation. So minutes are a difference, roles are different, type of players are different ... You should take a break from CDC. You're not learning very much on here. Hopefully you will .. somehow ... by watching another 10 years of hockey. Power-forwards and playmakers are not to be compared. Why don't you take a look at how Milan Lucic is doing? Wanna call him a bust?

From Dimitri Filipovic of CanucksArmy, who are usually very unbiased:

"I'm not sure what Kassian's excuse was, though, as he really set a whole new standard for terrible play. He was out on the ice for 13:53 at 5v5, in which the Flames managed to register 12 scoring chances. I think that's pretty hard to do even if you're trying to see how poorly you can do."

Canucks vs. Flames, April 10th, 2013

Sorry but I'm not making this stuff up. Kassian is awful defensively and he hasn't been doing anything offensively to offset his deficiencies.

Hodgson:

GP: 136 G: 35 A: 40 P: 75 +/-: -3

Kassian:

GP: 79 G: 10 A: 9 P: 19 +/-: -9

BAHAHAHAHAHA! COHO will be get over 700 points by the time he is finished. Kassian will be lucky to get 100. Man, it would have been nice to have a guy like that on our team.

Guest Gumballthechewy

As for Kassian? He needs to get into better shape. He looks gassed after even short shifts. When he plays with intensity and drive though he looks amazing. It just doesn't happen often enough.

The Hodgson/Kassian trade was a horrible trade. We traded a blooming first line center for a physical presence that has no offensive capabilities. Can't believe so many people are still defending the trade. Imagine if we had held onto Hodgson this year and traded him? We could have gotten Pominville, or make a lot of other trades open.

And the "we have too many centers argument" is just stupid. So GMs can't even see a few steps ahead in 2008 when we drafted Hodsgon that there was no space for him on the 1st/2nd line for years to come?

This is a horrible trade and Gillis dropped the ball, admit it and move on. And yes, Kassian will be given a lot of ice time for the next 2-3 years to justify Gillis' ego.

I can't believe there are people still defending this trade and this player.

I agree with the OP, Kassian is a 220lb anchor on any line he's on. Will he be good in a few years? Who knows, and who cares. Our team is built for right now not for the future.

Gillis should be fired for this trade. It's the worst trade this team has made in 27 years when we traded Neely. Oh yeah, he also gave Grabner away for Ballard. Replaced a 30 goal scorer with Booth. Never replaced Torres.

The downward spiral has started, I'm thinking rebuild in 2 or 3 years. I just hope we don't pull a Calgary and hang onto our aging stars for too long.

He hasn't had a chance to develop ANY chemistry due to AV's line juggling, which has been worse than usual this season (partially due to injuries). In addition, AV does seem to limit players' ability to play a hard-nosed game.

Kass must be very confused as his coach doesn't seem to know how to properly utilize his skills.

No vision. Can't skate faster than an average person at the local rink. No hands. Poor decision-making skills. Big body but doesn't use it effectively. He is almost completely useless out there.

I can't believe Gillis traded Cody Hodgson for this plug.

Hodgson: 44 games - 14 G - 17 A - 31 P - minus 2 (82 game season - around 50-60 points, no sophomore slump here!)

Kassian: 35 games - 6 G - 3 A - 9 P - minus 7 (82 game season - around 15-25 points)

Just awful....Both play 15 to 20 minutes a night, well they did for the first half of the season, Kassian has been demoted to the third line because of his awful play.

Yes, I know that Hodgson is awful at playing defense as well but he can't possibly be worse than Kassian. Zack will keep getting chances and playing time, much like Edler, because Gillis doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. Pathetic.

I hope both Gillis and A.V. are fired before the start of the next season. A.V. poisoned the well before Hodgson was ever settled. They closed the window for a Stanley Cup themselves...what a travesty. Not saying Cody would have been our savior but he would have been an ideal 3rd-line centre and pushed Kes to play better. Nothing makes a player work harder than a young guy nipping at his heels. Kassian will never be the guy that management wants him to be. Too lazy. What a damn shame.

You guys can defend kassian and rightfully so cause he is young and needs time. And coaching but don't bash hodgson he has more goals then anyone on our team and yeah he has vanek but burrows and kassian have the sedins no excuse hodgson is a good player get over it

ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE,

THE MOST TERRIBLE PLAYER,

FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY MOST DIGGITY DIGGITY,

MOST CORRUPTABLE SOUL

Edit: Why am I yelling, even I don't know ... I'm as retarded as this thread but hey

if it feels good do it ... right

Archived