The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

If you count last nights loss as "playing bad" you are blind. He faced 47 shots, 17 of those were short handed chances. The Sharks also had a ridiculous 25 legitimate scoring opportunites. Schnieder kept us in the game if anything.

Schnieder has played 8 playoff games where he has played at least 35 minutes. In 6 of those games he had a save % of 915 or better and a combined 944 save %.

I see 2 games where he had performances that were considered bad, His first against SJ this year and against Chicago in 2011.

\

The damage has already been done with Luongo, look at how upset he was that he couldn't get traded at the deadline. How is Luongo going to deal with the fact that the last 2 playoff series Schneider has started after the first 2 games facing elimination. That alone should tell you Schneider is our guy.

If you count last nights loss as "playing bad" you are blind. He faced 47 shots, 17 of those were short handed chances. The Sharks also had a ridiculous 25 legitimate scoring opportunites. Schnieder kept us in the game if anything.

Schnieder has played 8 playoff games where he has played at least 35 minutes. In 6 of those games he had a save % of 915 or better and a combined 944 save %.

I see 2 games where he had performances that were considered bad, His first against SJ this year and against Chicago in 2011.

\

Basically Schn got injured, and needed a couple of games to find his form again. He was obviously not playing like he was before his injury.

Timing really sucks on his injury, but if we had taken the series to game 7 I'm sure he would have been back to form by then.

So no, I don't think it matters.

What DOES matter, and MIGHT change the situation, is if MG is canned. then the new GM might opt to keep Luongo. That would change things...

The damage has already been done with Luongo, look at how upset he was that he couldn't get traded at the deadline. How is Luongo going to deal with the fact that the last 2 playoff series Schneider has started after the first 2 games facing elimination. That alone should tell you Schneider is our guy.

I sure hope not. Cory is younger, calmer and more technically sound (not to mention cheaper). Part of the rebuilding that will take place this summer will be focusing on going younger. Cory is our guy. Besides, after all this hoopla, will Luongo really want to stay? I really appreciate his class and poise in handling the situation this year being and being able to step up to the plate when required. Lu is an excellent goalie and person, but I would still stick with Cory. Let Lu have a clean slate with another team.

That can be repaired with a new coach. New coach, new clean slate. Everyone starts off fresh. There is nothing that prevents the new coach from deciding that Luongo is his guy, especially if we hire Lindy Ruff, I wouldn't at all be surprise if he names Lu his starter, and tells MG straight up and he might as well try to trade Schneider. That's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Ben Kuzma and Tony Gallagher claim that Schneider's play was STELLAR and erased all doubt as to his ability to carry this team:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=8353545

It's Cory Schneider's team and it was again his for the most significant start of the season.

When Alain Vigneault hinted his goaltending decision didn't have long-term ramifications because it's about one game - one win to keep the Vancouver Canucks from being swept aside - he didn't have to reference his imaginary coin or sing a familiar refrain about having two good goalies. He started Schneider on Tuesday night because of his ability to rebound from three soft goals Sunday.

"Cory in my opinion is our MVP and one of the reasons why we got into the playoffs," said Vigneault. "He's had great bounce-back games and he's been outstanding and our group has total faith in both goaltenders. They've got a lot of faith in Cory and I've got a lot of faith in him and that's why we're going with him."

Good call.

Schneider rewarded the faith with a stellar 43-save performance in a 4-3 overtime loss that ended the season. And for the starter, it ended in cruel fashion. After making a series of tough saves in the extra session off Patrick Marleau, Dan Boyle, Scott Hannan and Logan Couture, it was a puck he thought he had deflected away that ended the day. Marleau's goal at 13: 18 of overtime gave the Sharks their sweep and reason for the Canucks to weep because they seldom played to potential and lost the composure game.

In a cruel way it was fitting that the decisive goal came on the power play, even though it came off a questionable boarding call to Daniel Sedin.

"Joe (Thornton) came over the line and had some space and got off a quick shot and I felt it hit my stick and I steered it to the corner and I still don't know what happened," said Schneider. "It kind of dribbled by the net there and I thought it hit me hard enough that I could deflect it into the corner.

"It sucks either way. The group we have here, we should have been better. Their power play has been the difference this series. It sort of broke us down and we ran out of gas. It's just frustrating and seems like a lost year for some of these guys and myself, too."

More importantly, Schneider showed he has more than just the potential to carry a big starting load next season. After allowing three questionable goals in the third period Sunday, he vowed to come back stronger and wanted to send a message to the Sharks and Canucks management. Yes, this is Schneider's team but he needed to erase any doubt. He did just that. A four-minute Sharks power play in the second period in which he foiled T.J. Galiardi, stopped two backhand attempts in tight off Raffi Torres and then dove across to stop Brent Burns off a rebound kept the Sharks from building on a 2-1 lead.

In fact, it took a deft Burns deflection in the slot of a Scott Hannan wrist shot from the point - with Galiardi providing a partial screen - to open the scoring at 2: 41 of the first period. And when the Sharks kept coming because it was like the penalty-prone Canucks were putting chum in the water for a feeding frenzy, Schneider had to make a power-play save off Torres before a Mason Raymond floater from the point hit Brad Stuart, who was battling for position with Burrows. The goal injected some life into the Canucks. Kesler drew a hooking minor and Raymond then forced Antti Niemi to make a tough right-pad save on the power play.

"It was nice to get back in the net and come back from a sub-par effort, but either way the result is the same," shrugged Schneider. "They played hard and deserved to win the series."

Fire AV, fire MG, deal all the overpriced and expiring contracts, move up in draft and start the long-awaited rebuild. As far as goalies go... MG won't be around to make that decision and quite frankly, I'm happy thats the case because he took forever to make NO moves in the summer and before the deadline. Lets wait and see folks

Before people grab their pitchforks and try and run Schneider out of town too. Realize that Luongo wants out of Vancouver. There is no option now.

We're lucky to have Schneider. He'll be a great goalie for us going forward. We just need a defense assstant coach that doesn't allow constant meltdowns on our D. And a D core that can shut things down when things get tight.

People who keep saying Schneider is cheaper and younger.....

1) Cheaper only for the time being, his contract expires soon and will have at least a similar or higher cap hit than Lu

2) Why not trade him and get a better return if we want to win now and if we are so called "all in"? You think contending teams care about the future? Ray Shero went all in. Getting 1 lame Derek Roy is not "all in"

3) We have an even YOUNGER and CHEAPER goalie than Schneider waiting in Eddie Lack and he has potential to be our future goalie

Although now I look forward to seeing Lu on another team like the Flyers or Pens hopefully, and he wins his cup. He will be a beast next year on another team.

People who keep saying Schneider is cheaper and younger.....

1) Cheaper only for the time being, his contract expires soon and will have at least a similar or higher cap hit than Lu

2) Why not trade him and get a better return if we want to win now and if we are so called "all in"? You think contending teams care about the future? Ray Shero went all in. Getting 1 lame Derek Roy is not "all in"

3) We have an even YOUNGER and CHEAPER goalie than Schneider waiting in Eddie Lack and he has potential to be our future goalie

Although now I look forward to seeing Lu on another team like the Flyers or Pens hopefully, and he wins his cup. He will be a beast next year on another team.

Archived