The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev - a potential offer sheet target?

I think that Tanev will not get anywhere near what people are thinking. He has a handful of hits in his entire career. Way less than one a game. He has little offensive production. I hate advanced statistics but he's not even that strong on those numbers. Doesn't give the puck away much but also hardly ever takes it away. I guess he's a good, reliable stay at home guy but he isn't a minute eater and lacks lots of tools that are very important for a big minute guy.

I think everyone likes him because it's a good signing by Gillis but is he really worth that much? Would he fetch much more than a second round pick and would that even be a bad return for a college free agent?

No one will offer Tanev 3 million, outside of Vancouver he is just a 5-6th dman who does nothing flashy. People need to watch him on a nightly basis to see the consistency and maturity he brings because his stats aren't exactly going to fetch him the Norris trophy automatically (not saying they are bad). There is no way any team offers him 3 million unless it is just to stick it the Canucks for spite.

There won't be any aggresive offer sheet this summer, every team have to deal with their cap and think about the next few years, team at the salary floor was there because they was forced to spend that much money, but some of them are really happy they can cut a few millions.

Offer sheets are really not handed out all that often if you look at the history of them, and often cause bad blood. Something you dont want as a GM. GMs would also have to consider over paying for a player. He is also lacking the size that many GMs look for in a dman.

I like to think Tanev is our little secret :)

I could see Gillis signing him to a 2 year 2-2.5 mill per. Then upping him based on his play and the Cap after that.

I think that Tanev will not get anywhere near what people are thinking. He has a handful of hits in his entire career. Way less than one a game. He has little offensive production. I hate advanced statistics but he's not even that strong on those numbers. Doesn't give the puck away much but also hardly ever takes it away. I guess he's a good, reliable stay at home guy but he isn't a minute eater and lacks lots of tools that are very important for a big minute guy.

I think everyone likes him because it's a good signing by Gillis but is he really worth that much? Would he fetch much more than a second round pick and would that even be a bad return for a college free agent?

Um what? Tanev is not a hitter no, but he is very good at absorbing or avoiding hits, and considering how many dmen put themselves out of position looking for a hit (ahem Edler), Im glad he doesnt.

Here is some stats for you:

Tanev

- would lead the blue line in blocked shots if he played Edler minutes

- least amount of giveaways

- would lead the team in takeaways if he was playing Edler minutes (by a large margin)

He is very poised in his own end, skates really well, and has a nice outlet pass. The ONLY thing Tanev doesnt do well, is play physical.

Archived