The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev - a potential offer sheet target?

The lack of physical play doesn't bug me. The lack of scoring does. I don't see the Canucks not matching an offer sheet. But, if I were them, I'd be willing to listen to offers for him. Thing is, at friendly-ish cap hit, I can't imagine what we'd get back that would be such a significant upgrade anywhere.

The lack of physical play doesn't bug me. The lack of scoring does. I don't see the Canucks not matching an offer sheet. But, if I were them, I'd be willing to listen to offers for him. Thing is, at friendly-ish cap hit, I can't imagine what we'd get back that would be such a significant upgrade anywhere.

I think that Tanev will not get anywhere near what people are thinking. He has a handful of hits in his entire career. Way less than one a game. He has little offensive production. I hate advanced statistics but he's not even that strong on those numbers. Doesn't give the puck away much but also hardly ever takes it away. I guess he's a good, reliable stay at home guy but he isn't a minute eater and lacks lots of tools that are very important for a big minute guy.

I think everyone likes him because it's a good signing by Gillis but is he really worth that much? Would he fetch much more than a second round pick and would that even be a bad return for a college free agent?

He'll sign under 1.5 million per year, guaranteed. Guys like Alzner and Fayne signed for under that and they're more established, physical shutdown defenseman.

Tanev can't really argue for more money than that. He doesn't put up points, play shutdown defense, hit, etc.

If someone offer sheets him up to the 3.3 million mark, I think the Canucks would match. Past that I'd rather take the 1st and 3rd. Tanev is a reliable player but he's not worth that.

I think that Tanev will not get anywhere near what people are thinking. He has a handful of hits in his entire career. Way less than one a game. He has little offensive production. I hate advanced statistics but he's not even that strong on those numbers. Doesn't give the puck away much but also hardly ever takes it away. I guess he's a good, reliable stay at home guy but he isn't a minute eater and lacks lots of tools that are very important for a big minute guy.

I think everyone likes him because it's a good signing by Gillis but is he really worth that much? Would he fetch much more than a second round pick and would that even be a bad return for a college free agent?

Tanev is a good young d-man but I am concerned about his ability to handle the heavy going. As this season wore on opposing teams were taking him more physically each game. Regular season his play is fine but my concern is playoffs. Considering Corrado will make a play for regular duty next year the Canucks will have to decide how many 185 pound d-men they can have in the line up. It really doesn't add up in playoff mode.

Tanev needs to add alot more muscle if he wants to be a top 4.

So far he has seemed to bounce back when he gets drilled (except most recently). But that can't continue. If he keeps letting himself get nailed into the end boards like that, it's gonna take it's toll.

Archived