The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

There was one thread where I discussed it with a couple of other posters at some length.

I was on record as disliking the move, but when another poster suggested the same in much stronger terms, I bought up the fact that I thought Michel Therrien was a terrible hire by the Canadiens. At the time I thought they were just making sure that they had a French Canadian behind the bench.

Of course, it has worked out very well (so far, at least) for the Habs. Therefore, I've decided to take the "cautiously optimistic" approach to the Tortorella hiring.

I'll re-evaluate my opinion around Christmas time...

Fair enough.

I remember reading that post actually. I just didn't recall it was you who posted it.

Maybe because I agreed with it.....;)

I'm not actually as down on Torts as you might think, Wallstreet. As we have already discussed, I agree with you that AV's time in Vancouver was done.

However, I'm a fan of what Stevens was able to accomplish with the Kings' defense corps, and I thought he was the best choice for the Canucks' coaching job.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, though. I realize that Tortorella is pretty much a done deal. I'm hoping that Gillis has this one right, because I would have gone in a different direction.

The Kings also have Doughty. That's the major difference here.

Holy crap.

Where is nuck nit? He will lose his crap that a slimeball like Tortorella would dare pretend to be a charitable person just to try to cover up his slimy nature!!!

He is rude to the media because the media probably deserves it.

We have a bigger problem though and that will be the fallout from an increasing difficulty in trading Luongo while Schneider takes a growing percentage of games. How can any coach provide polite interlocutors to a feasting media that would naturally prey on proliferating a controversy and expect the problem not to affect the team? Maybe a yelling match with Ian MacIntyre is the perfect antidote, who knows??

http://www.tortorellafoundation.org/

Apologies if this link was already posted.

At first I really thought this was an Aquaman hiring, but the more I find out, the more comfortable I am with the hiring and the more I feel Gillis was involved.

This team is going to be a lot different come game 1 than they were as they got swept this spring, and I'm glad for that.

He is rude to the media because the media probably deserves it.

I simply love your comments and specially the picture you chose for your signature. Media is also a business like any other business. They are only successful when they have clients. Best way to have clients in Media business is by creating sensation so people read, watch & listen. And 80/20 rule apply everywhere, 80% of people in Media is also doing their bare minimum to just keep their job, actually lazy and love to crucify people. And Totrella is perfect ginny pig for them. Person who have some passion and intelligence sometimes aggressive in dealing with nonsense and idiots and Totrella maybe one of them who can't deal with the BS he has to deal with everyday.

The Kings also have Doughty. That's the major difference here.

Who looked very much like he was going to go the Dion Phaneuf route. He was well on his way to believing all the hype about himself and developing a giant ego to go along with the giant contract that he held out for.

Stevens was able to rein him in and get him to rededicate himself to the game. I think this sort of ability would work wonders for a guy like Edler.

Who looked very much like he was going to go the Dion Phaneuf route. He was well on his way to believing all the hype about himself and developing a giant ego to go along with the giant contract that he held out for.

Stevens was able to rein him in and get him to rededicate himself to the game. I think this sort of ability would work wonders for a guy like Edler.

Don't think Edler has ego issues.. His problems are mental mistakes.

Oh boy!

And the amount of swearing Torts is gonna do. Not sure how Booth is gonna like that!

When Booth stops killing God's creations for leasure, he'll be right in preaching. Until then, just play hockey.

Well it appears that those who wanted Torts have got him. I still feel it is a big gamble on the Canucks part, and I would love to know how much of a role ownership played in this decision. Also, Gillis has got a lot of work to do otherwise it won't matter who the coach here is. Best of luck to us Canuck fans and to the team. The next few years will be interesting to say the least.

Archived