The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Pro level prospects sweep the Vancouver Canuck's prospect Awards" - HF Article

Devoted

I would give the overachiever award to McEneny. Last player ranked in the draft, not picked, signed as a free agent. 0 goals 6 assists in two injury plagued seasons.

This year he scored 6 goals, 34 points, and was +7. 4 less goals and 14 less points than Murphy who is a year older and a 12th overall pick.

MacTavish is now the oilers new GM after Lowe dumped Tambellini, don't be surprised if the Oilers try to trade for one of the Canucks prospects since MacT coached our kids in Chicago and got to know our prospects very well. He certainly seemed impressed with a player Like Polasek in rookie preseason games.

I agree, Devoted, we should be set for defensive (and goaltending) young depth for the foreseeable future. Though that could all be gone in 4 years, obviously. With our top 4 locked up for the next few years, I think these prospects will be well seasoned by the time they make the big club.

While I agree with the abundance of D depth. Our depth in goal is lacking. After moving Luongo, our depth is now Schneider, Lack and Cannata, with Lack showing he's close to NHL back up ready. We have no one behind Cannata. It'd be wise to at draft at least one goalie this year. If not then we definitely will draft a goalie in 2014. Of course this is only true if we don't acquire a goalie in a trade or sign a FA goalie

You're correct that at this moment we have no promising goaltending prospects in the 18-22 age range. Honzik has had his fair share of struggles in the QMJHL and the Jonathan Iilahti experiment clearly did not work by not retaining his rights after 2 years. We'll see if Vancouver signs Honzik or allows him to re-enter the draft this summer.

I would expect a capable back up to be included in the trade that sees a goalie moved or a FA will be signed. Lack has missed considerable time and development with his injury and will spend another season in the AHL hopefully regaining his form.

I would not be surprised to see the Canucks attempt to find another Cannata in the later rounds of this year's draft. Lets just hope its not another Morgan Clark...

if there is no NHL back up coming our way, i'd like to see lack in vancouver, as long as he shows his form before injury. i think cannata could be a good starter for us in the AHL, maybe find a good veterean goalie to do a 1a 1b type thing with him. also wouldn't mind picking another "project type" youngster, i truly believe lack and cannata are high end goaltending prospects; if lack is ok we'll be set with those guys for awhile.

Surprised there's no mention of Archibald for most improved prospect.

I thought he made a big leap this season in both his two way play and his physical presence.

He went from scoring 1 goal in his first 20 AHL games, to scoring 12 this season in 55 games. I would look for him to possibly get some time on the fourth line this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there's no mention of Archibald for most improved prospect.

I thought he made a big leap this season in both his two way play and his physical presence.

He went from scoring 1 goal in his first 20 AHL games, to scoring 12 this season in 55 games. I would look for him to possibly get some time on the fourth line this season.

Archived