The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Say Richmond McDonalds Discriminated Against Her By Refusing Her Service Because of Language

DonLever

is it 1/3rd? I thought the story said 40% Oh well, either way really. As another poster pointed out it's ignorance on the managers part more than it is discriminatory, and as I pointed out it's just bad luck she walks into the ONLY macdonalds in the area without a mandarin or Cantonese speaking employee

I ordered several nice meals in Paris with my broken french and menu-pointing. It was embarrassing, but i still got my meals and they were great. The only time i was disappointed really was when i ordered fries 'frites' at McDonalds. Stone cold and floppy.

So perhaps this isn't a language problem but a McDonalds problem.

that´s the problem...

people in Canada simply tolerate too much this thing. the person is in your country but refuse to speak your language and somehow everything is ok. but as far as I know Canada is an English-French country not an English-Frend-Mandarin-Cantonese-Hindi-Korean language...

because imagine if every single language should be considered on every city in Canada. so every sight or board must have a translation on every language spoken on this country. would be expensive and confuse...

If you´re in France and you want work there speak French, if you want work in Russia speak Russian, if you want work in Korea speak Korean and etc etc etc...

in Brazil if somebody want immigrate to here, live and work the 1st thing is "LEARN OUR LANGUAGE" because nobody will understand you if you don´t speak portuguese, we respect you, your culture and you home country. but if you´re here to live with your family speak our language when you´re working so people can understand you perfectly....

there´s even a test for this. Immigrants only get citizenship or working permission after a written and oral test to prove he/she can speak our language on a reasonable way. that´s why we don´t have problems like this...

the other fact is that government affairs or places have sights only in portuguese to force Immigrants to understand our language or they will have problems. so we don´t show "Court House" but instead we have sights showing "Fórum" and the Judges don´t speak any other language besides portuguese, our rule is "my country, my language. this is a portuguese speaking country so keep your language on your house, outside speak our language"

Oh my freakin gawd,you got a coffee instead of a chocolate because you have a bad accent. Call the civil liberties, call the human rights, CALL THE MEDIA!!!

In honor of The Eagles latest tour I offer you this gem

I turn on the tube and what do I see

A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"

They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else

Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves

Victim of this, victim of that

Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it

Get over it

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash

But you might feel better if I gave you some cash

The more I think about it, Old Billy was right

Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight

You don't want to work, you want to live like a king

But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it

Get over it

If you don't want to play, then you might as well split

Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak

You're makin' the most of your losin' streak

Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain

You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown

Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down

Complain about the present and blame it on the past

I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it

Get over it

All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

Get over it

Get over it

It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit

Get over it, get over it

I really hate people that think that companies in a country that is primarily english-speaking should hire a Mandarin speaking (Or insert other language here) worker to please them.

If I were to go to lets say, Italy, I would expect myself to learn some Italian, I would not expect others to know English. People need to take initiative and learn English.

Absolutely, I just dislike people who come to a country and think they should cater to their inability and laziness to learn the language before coming to that said country. As an example, I work with a lot of Filipino co-workers, they ALL know English fluently, they all spent years learning it before coming to Canada. Why can't others do the same?

I do work in retail so my viewpoint might be bias where I'm coming from, as I have to deal with it time and time again and it's irritating how some people don't know a lick of English.

WOW. The issue isn't the language, its about one idiot manager who doesn't understand proper business etiquette. You don't tell someone to leave the store if they aren't doing anything wrong. How hard is it to understand hot chocolate? Simply point to the machine. I've had to deal with customers where I didn't understand a word they said, but I didn't tell them to leave. I simply listened harder and tried to see what they wanted. Regardless of how busy they are, they have a right to eat food, and languages are hard to learn.

This is funny to me because I went to T&T market in metrotown the other day, I'm white, and I stood by the seafood area for half hour waiting for someone to help me, I even asked 2 of the workers who held up 1 finger to me as to say "one minute" these guys were not even busy, and they were helping others. Meanwhile everybody in the store was staring at me and my girlfriend like we were aliens.so I left.

I guess I should alert the press, my business was not wanted boo hoo.

I've been discriminated against

This is funny to me because I went to T&T market in metrotown the other day, I'm white, and I stood by the seafood area for half hour waiting for someone to help me, I even asked 2 of the workers who held up 1 finger to me as to say "one minute" these guys were not even busy, and they were helping others. Meanwhile everybody in the store was staring at me and my girlfriend like we were aliens.so I left.

I guess I should alert the press, my business was not wanted boo hoo.

Archived