The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts gets interviewed today.

Canouver

So, what people are suggesting is that since the media is rude, it's okay if Torts is, as well?

Basically, fight fire with fire? Oh...okay...this is going to be an interesting season.

People assume the media will back down. But we all know what happened in New York.

I wonder what gong show awaits us.

Fair enough, but he's already said in previous interviews since being hired he'll have to look at how he interacts with the media and that he needs to change. The first time a cell rings accidentally (or perhaps on purpose to push his buttons?) and he interrupts his own comment to say he'll walk. It wasn't that bad, but perception means a lot and it's really early on in the process for him here. I don't fault him for calling out someone leaving their ringer on, since it absolutely is rude and disruptive for others, I just question how he did it.

Maybe try this?

http://youtu.be/5gsDKtZb8Yc

Too many of you guys suffer from a persecution complex thinking the media is out to get our poor canucks, especially the eastern media. The local media here is fine. The team has played like crap the last 2 playoffs and deserve to get called out for it. The only writers I don't really like are ed willis and ian macintyre. By and large the vancouver media is pretty tame compared to the toronto media.

Man, some of you guys would wet your pants crying if we had the same ny media that cover a team like the knicks. I really can't understand the media hate vancouver fans have on here and on hfboards. It really does make vancouver fans seem like crybabies when a lot of you are always crying about how mean the media is to our poor canucks.

I'm tired of hearing about "the process". It's a crutch phrase that gives people the excuse to say "...not yet. I'll be late to the party. Getting there is a process."

This is how it is. This is what we expect. Get it done.

I don't care where you work. Your boss gives you a task, you say "Yes sir!" not "Ok, but it'll be a process... blah blah blah"

/rant

He's a bit particular about some things and has a bit of a temper lol but he's not a bad guy or unreasonable. If you respect him he will be respectful back, We just have to work with him a bit and it will be fine. We all have our faults. I'll take his occasional angry outbursts over AV with his gum chewing and shrugging and casual nonchalant carefree attitude any day. I'm glad he's our coach and he is very welcome here by me. I think he gonna do a great job.

Fair enough, but he's already said in previous interviews since being hired he'll have to look at how he interacts with the media and that he needs to change. The first time a cell rings accidentally (or perhaps on purpose to push his buttons?) and he interrupts his own comment to say he'll walk. It wasn't that bad, but perception means a lot and it's really early on in the process for him here. I don't fault him for calling out someone leaving their ringer on, since it absolutely is rude and disruptive for others, I just question how he did it.

So, what people are suggesting is that since the media is rude, it's okay if Torts is, as well?

Basically, fight fire with fire? Oh...okay...this is going to be an interesting season.

People assume the media will back down. But we all know what happened in New York.

I wonder what gong show awaits us.

I don't have a problem with him calling out the guy for having his phone on, but the "I'll walk, I'll walk" comment was extra and a sign of the old Torts we're trying to avoid. We don't want to take the colourful Torts and replace him with a greyscale version, but we do want to avoid the antagonizing, bad behaviour Torts.

No, they said they would throw me out of the meeting.

Wonder what kind of discussion we would be having if Torts said that.

I don't have a problem with him calling out the guy for having his phone on, but the "I'll walk, I'll walk" comment was extra and a sign of the old Torts we're trying to avoid. We don't want to take the colourful Torts and replace him with a greyscale version, but we do want to avoid the antagonizing, bad behaviour Torts.

I'd be fine with that, the cameraman gets thrown out for doing something bad. For Torts to walk out if it happens, it's pretty easy to portray that as a petulant child or short tempered ass considering his history.

That's debatable. They're going to spin anything anyway (all the more reason Torts needs to be aware of what he says), but I'd think they're just as annoyed at the guy with his cell phone going off as Torts is. It's certainly easier to defend in my opinion than Torts saying he'll just walk out of pressers if a cell phone rings.

I agree the Van media is atrocious in large part, but who do we expect to change: the media who's been here forever and is happy with the way things are, or the coach who just arrived and specifically noted he has to change and try and foster a relationship with the local media?

Or this could be looked at as Torts telling a room full of petulant children (which our media could be easily described as), look boys and girls, if we don't play by the rules, Daddy is not going to play anymore.

Vancouver media is atrocious for acting as though they are doing us a favor by being there. While the hue and cry may be stupendous if Torts didn't do a presser, it would also mean the sports reporter wouldn't have a job. From a team perspective, they need us more than we need them.

Archived