The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beaten up Abbotsford student asks why police weren't called

canuckbeliever

A Grade 12 student in Abbotsford wants to know why school officials didn't call the police after he was beaten up in a school locker room on Friday.

Wyatt DuBois says after gym class last week at Rick Hansen High School, he overheard a group of people bullying of one of his friends in the locker room.

He says he stood up to one of the boys, and that's when the teen came over and allegedly started to beat him with a retractable baton.

"He told me he wanted to fight," DuBois told CBC News, describing in detail how he was allegedly hit and kicked half a dozen times.The beating left him bleeding profusely.

Dubois said the attack happened with more than 60 other students watching.

"Everyone watched when I said, 'You need a weapon to approach me.' He got mad and choked me. After he hit me over the head a second time, I was bleeding. I remember getting up and slipping in my own blood."

Dubois said the fight then moved into the school hallway, and that's when teachers grabbed him and ushered him into a gym office.

Ambulance called, not police

Dubois says he asked the school to call the police, but only an ambulance was called.

"I told them I wanted the police to be called. I told them I wanted charges and police were never called."

It was only after a B.C.ambulance arrived that paramedics called Abbotsford Police.

"Honestly that really discourages me about the school," Dubois said.

"I thought it was supposed to be a safe place. You're supposed to go and not feel like you have to worry about anything, but I don't want to go back there. I don't feel safe there anymore."

Dubois ended up getting seven stitches and six staples.

Dave Stephen, spokesman with the Abbotsford School District, says the police liaison office was called once administrators were able to sort out what had happened, adding that the two boys believed to be behind the attack will be suspended.

Wyatt's parents, Sonya and Richard Dubois, said they think the attacker should be suspended indefinitely. They're also upset that police were not called immediately.

"This was a major crime with a weapon," Sonya said. "What type of situation has to happen to say maybe we need the police?"

"He was assaulted," Richard said. "At what point should the police be called? Does he have to die, or something?"

Abbotsford Police say they are conducting a full investigation into the incident, adding that the alleged attacker has been arrested and will be facing charges of assault and possession of a prohibited weapon

"Dubois said the attack happened with more than 60 other students watching."

That's just disgusting, especially since there was a weapon involved. I remember when I was in school, fights would happen and people would watch, no weapons were ever involved though.

I bet a bunch were cheering on the assault as well.

Agreed, I grew up and two guys had issues they fought and it ended usually with a beer or some tough words.

None of this nonsense. So troubling to know all of those people were just standing around watching cheering filming.

I will raise my kids better than this....

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...alled-1.2053620

I would like to say this is an isolated incident at 1 school but it really isnt. High schools allow bullying to happen and turn a blind eye to it likes it nobodies business. Yet its the same folks that wear a pink shirt and pretend they give a crap every february. They brag about how there school doesnt promote bullying when that couldnt be further from the truth.

bullying is a serious problem , and Im glad its finally being addressed as one ...

the saddest part is that it stops a person from really blossoming , and becoming who they were meant to be .. its unfair , and I think we all have a responsibility to stand up for those who cant stand up for themselves .. even on this board , I wont put up with it ..

I think a lot of people are deer in the headlights when it happens because it's so rare and then again people enjoy watching someone get their ass beat -- it's a form of entertainment, it gives people something to talk about for a few days. Nobody discusses how a fight was stopped but who got their ass kicked instead. I got in a fight with a kid many years ago in high school off school grounds. Literally 20 students there at least that watched it and let it happen. Everyone spoke about it for days after.

Hate those douchebags who wear pink t-shirts and pretend like they know and care about bullying. Do they even know what it is like? How about actually talking to people who have gone through it?

No should be trying to break up fights in this day and age when the other person has a weapon and people get ganged up on and jumped.

It's best to just get outta there and tell someone or when it's this severe call the police.

Most people like to watch a fight but when it's unfair and one sided someone needs to step in right away before someone gets beaten senseless or killed.

Hate those douchebags who wear pink t-shirts and pretend like they know and care about bullying. Do they even know what it is like? How about actually talking to people who have gone through it?

No should be trying to break up fights in this day and age when the other person has a weapon and people get ganged up on and jumped.

It's best to just get outta there and tell someone or when it's this severe call the police.

Most people like to watch a fight but when it's unfair and one sided someone needs to step in right away before someone gets beaten senseless or killed.

Why is it so important they be called immediately? There wasn't an ongoing fight, they couldn't stop anything, so what is the rush? No one was in any immediate danger, the EMTs rightly got called first, and the cops did get called soon after

Archived