The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hate Monger Fred Phelps is Dead. Rejoice

Warhippy

Let me get this straight, you're rejoicing the death of a guy who was hated because his group rejoiced in the deaths of others. Makes sense.

I am always amused by how alike those that feel strongest about the WBC are to them, albeit just in the opposite direction. Needlessly extreme.

I never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure. Clarence Darrow.

I myself find your calling me "extreme" over my belief that the world might be a better place without this rather laughable.

This man single handedly caused untold grief to so very many people. Picketing the funerals of dead children blaming both the deceased and the parents. Picketing the funerals of soldiers who were literally doing their jobs. And causing needless violence against the LGBT community worldwide with his rhetoric and inflammatory preaching. He abused the young and twisted hundreds of simple people with his preaching.

If my feeling the world is a better place without a person like this leading the mindless is in your views "extreme" than sunshine, stay indoors cause the world is far to bad a place for people like you to cope with.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Yeah, I just came here to say gloating over his death and saying how much you hated him and all that nonsense makes you no better than him. Rise above the hate people.

that's like saying we shouldn't be happy that hitler died...

Are you planning to kill thousands of jews because Hitler died?

The guys dead and the world is a better place because of it. Of that I have no question but son we'll realize his life and death don't mater because someone else will step up and take his place. Shirley has been probably a bigger part of that "group" than Fred for a long time it's seemed anyways. That's the real joke and the real revenge on Fred Phelps. The realization that he didn't really matter at all.

Protesting someone's funeral is offensive, especially to the family that's attending that I'm sure, despite probably not liking the guy's hatred, still cared about him. Of course, you're so busy thinking of yourself and your selfish oddball "protest" you're missing how asinine and hypocritical such a protest would be.

Eye for an eye makes you no better than him. So what are you protesting then?

Clearly, you don't understand the semantics of eye for an eye. Eye for an eye is punishment in the form of committing the same offence that the person committed in the first place. The context for the offences are entirely different. The first time someone would commit this offence would be for their own personal motives. To take an "eye for an eye" would be to exact punishment by causing the said individual equal consequences. There is no hypocrisy in "eye for an eye" in its intended meaning. His meaning fits precisely my definition above. He wishes for him to experience what he has done, not for his own personal gain, but for punishment. As such it isn't hypocritical or asinine at all.

Your use of eye for an eye is invalid.

Comparing those who are happy that Phelps is dead to Phelps and his WBC group is ludicrous. Calling those who are happy about his death hypocrites and talking about the irony of the situation is simple-minded.

Phelps and his group protested the deaths of people who had done no wrong. The people that Phelps protested against were being persecuted because of a group they were born into, not because of the decisions they chose to make in life.

In contrast, Phelps made conscious decisions about the type of person he waned to become. He brought it on himself. The world is a much better place without him.

I certainly would never protest his death. I won't think too much of him after this post, but I think the world is better without him.

My main point is that the people trying to equate those who are happy with Phelps' death to Phelps himself are making a very shallow argument and without any consideration to context.

Clearly, you don't understand the semantics of eye for an eye. Eye for an eye is punishment in the form of committing the same offence that the person committed in the first place. The context for the offences are entirely different. The first time someone would commit this offence would be for their own personal motives. To take an "eye for an eye" would be to exact punishment by causing the said individual equal consequences. There is no hypocrisy in "eye for an eye" in its intended meaning. His meaning fits precisely my definition above. He wishes for him to experience what he has done, not for his own personal gain, but for punishment. As such it isn't hypocritical or asinine at all.

Your use of eye for an eye is invalid.

He can't punish a dead person and make them experience what they've done. He's too dead to get the "intended meaning". The only person to punish that would be there at the funeral (and not dead) are those who actually care about this guy, and while he's a scumbag, I doubt those people did anything to deserve having a family member's (no matter how sick the guy was) funeral protested just because some people decide they want to exact this eye for an eye punishment. Your argument is invalid.

By people getting all riled up they're just giving them more publicity. That's exactly what they want.

The WCB's actions are solely to try and get their twisted message out. If people ignored them and stopped giving them the publicity they are after, they would just fade in to obscurity.

Exactly!

The best thing to do with attention whores is just ignore them. Making a big deal of him - even in a completely negative way - may only influence others to take up his cause.

Justify your pointless lack of sympathy to the simple fact that death of any person hurts people who loved them how you will. If I recall correctly Deb, I was handed out warns for simply stating that the vapid "RIP"s littering the Cory Monteith thread served no purpose but to make the posters feel good about themselves.

Apparently, that was tasteless but the filth on this thread isn't. Are we going to parade like those after when Osama died? As you said, timing is everything. Hate the guy all you want but exercise the common sense to not get that in the way of basic decency. WBC didn't have that common courtesy and neither do some of the posters here.

you can't see the difference in these situations?

Whatever, it is sad people seem to think that being less than saddened at the loss of this venal human being is being of the exact same mindset of the members of the WBC or Phelps himself.

I am happy the same way i would be if a known child molester or rapist or any other horrible human being with a lack of empathy conscience or shred of humanity and a terrible record over their life passed on.

I think the world is a better place without people like this.

If you want to lump me in to the same category for thinking the world is a better place without people like this so be it.

But honestly ask yourself if you truly believe that feeling more comfortable without this kind of person on the planet anymore makes me the same as a child abuser a person who pickets the funerals of poor dead children and soldiers.

And now look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of person you are to really draw that comparison

Exactly!

The best thing to do with attention whores is just ignore them. Making a big deal of him - even in a completely negative way - may only influence

others to take up his cause.

I disagree. This type of hate is a cancer on humanity. You don't get anywhere ignoring cancer. It only spreads if left unchallenged.

Calling him an "attention whore" is silly. Lindsay Lohan is an attention whore. Fred Phelps was a dangerous individual.

History is littered with examples of individuals or groups of individuals who's extremism when left unchecked only festered to unimaginable levels.

This is not the case of a dog barking for attention that if you don't answer will tire himself out and stop barking.

Archived