The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you or could you become the executioner of your loved one's condemned killer?

nuckin_futz

Fact: Joffrey is dead.

Additional Fact: If I say anything that could be remotely considered as spoiler I'll be banned so I can't argue with you any more.

You suck big time. Please tell me more about the most hated character in the show being killed off before I get a chance to watch it...

To some, execution is an easier way out. I think many people would rather see the person rot in jail for their whole life. Either way can't be pretty.

Especially an Iranian jail who knows what goes on in there... Western world criminals have it lucky I tell yeah.. Atleast they don't have the fear of having their eyes removed the next morning.. or limbs chopped off.

Those European luxury jails seem like vacation homes compared to 3rd world jail cells.

better question: Would you be willing to murder a person who murdered your loved one but got away with it on a technicality or plea deal?

If there were enough evidence to satisfy me as to their guilt the main question would be who would I go after first them or the stink weasel lawyer (is there any other kind?) who got him off.

Yes. Better them then the official executioner.

"Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders."

-Albert Camus, French philosopher

"I have never heard a murderer say they thought about the death penalty as consequence of their actions prior to committing their crimes."

-Gregory Ruff, police lieutenant in Kansas

"As if one crime of such nature, done by a single man, acting individually, can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men, acting collectively."

-Lewis Lawes, warden of Sing Sing prison in NY in the 1920s and 30s

"How dangerous it is rashly to adopt the Mosaical institutions [Old Testament teachings of eye for an eye]. Laws might have been proper for a tribe of ardent barbarians wandering through the sands of Arabia which are wholly unfit for an enlightened people of civilized and gentle manners."

-an attorney general of Pennsylvania in the 1790s

"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice."

-Desmond Tutu

Imposition of the death penalty is arbitrary and capricious. Decision of who will live and who will die for his crime turns less on the nature of the offense and the incorrigibility of the offender and more on inappropriate and indefensible considerations: the political and personal inclinations of prosecutors; the defendant's wealth, race and intellect; the race and economic status of the victim; the quality of the defendant's counsel; and the resources allocated to defense lawyers."

-Gerald Heaney, former appellate judge

The most glaring weakness is that no matter how efficient and fair the DP may seem in theory, in actual practice it is primarily inflicted upon the weak, the poor, the ignorant and minorities."

-Pat Brown, former CA governor

What says the law? You will not kill. How does it say it? By killing!"

-Victor Hugo

"I have yet to see a death case among the dozen coming to the Supreme Court on eve-of-execution stay applications in which the defendant was well represented at trial... People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty."

-Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

"In the US the overwhelming majority of those executed are psychotic, alcoholic, drug addicted or mentally unstable. They frequently are raised in an impoverished and abusive environment. Seldom are people with money or prestige convicted of capital offenses, even more seldom are they executed."

-George Ryan, former Illinois Governor

"The reality is that capital punishment in America is a lottery. It is a punishment that is shaped by the constraints of poverty, race, geography and local politics."

-Bryan Stevenson, Death Row lawyer

"It can be argued that rapists deserve to be raped, that mutilators deserve to be mutilated. Most societies, however, refrain from responding in this way because the punishment is not only degrading to those on whom it is imposed, but it is also degrading to the society that engages in the same behavior as the criminals."

-Stephen Bright, human rights attorney

"I think this country would be much better off if we did not have capital punishment.... We cannot ignore the fact that in recent years a disturbing number of inmates on death row have been exonerated."

-John Paul Stevens, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

"I've been haunted by the men I was asked to execute in the name of the state of Florida. This is premeditated, carefully thought out ceremonial killing."

-Ron McAndrew, was a prison warden in Florida

"I'm of the opinion that we should eliminate capital punishment. Having been involved with justice agencies around the world, it's been somewhat embarrassing, quite frankly, that nations just as so-called civilized as ours think we're barbaric because we still have capital punishment."

-Reginald Wilkinson, was a prison director in Ohio

Civilised people do not kill others in the name of revenge.......Intense dave

"Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders."

-Albert Camus, French philosopher

"I have never heard a murderer say they thought about the death penalty as consequence of their actions prior to committing their crimes."

-Gregory Ruff, police lieutenant in Kansas

"As if one crime of such nature, done by a single man, acting individually, can be expiated by a similar crime done by all men, acting collectively."

-Lewis Lawes, warden of Sing Sing prison in NY in the 1920s and 30s

"How dangerous it is rashly to adopt the Mosaical institutions [Old Testament teachings of eye for an eye]. Laws might have been proper for a tribe of ardent barbarians wandering through the sands of Arabia which are wholly unfit for an enlightened people of civilized and gentle manners."

-an attorney general of Pennsylvania in the 1790s

"To take a life when a life has been lost is revenge, not justice."

-Desmond Tutu

Imposition of the death penalty is arbitrary and capricious. Decision of who will live and who will die for his crime turns less on the nature of the offense and the incorrigibility of the offender and more on inappropriate and indefensible considerations: the political and personal inclinations of prosecutors; the defendant's wealth, race and intellect; the race and economic status of the victim; the quality of the defendant's counsel; and the resources allocated to defense lawyers."

-Gerald Heaney, former appellate judge

The most glaring weakness is that no matter how efficient and fair the DP may seem in theory, in actual practice it is primarily inflicted upon the weak, the poor, the ignorant and minorities."

-Pat Brown, former CA governor

What says the law? You will not kill. How does it say it? By killing!"

-Victor Hugo

"I have yet to see a death case among the dozen coming to the Supreme Court on eve-of-execution stay applications in which the defendant was well represented at trial... People who are well represented at trial do not get the death penalty."

-Ruth Bader Ginsburg, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

"In the US the overwhelming majority of those executed are psychotic, alcoholic, drug addicted or mentally unstable. They frequently are raised in an impoverished and abusive environment. Seldom are people with money or prestige convicted of capital offenses, even more seldom are they executed."

-George Ryan, former Illinois Governor

"The reality is that capital punishment in America is a lottery. It is a punishment that is shaped by the constraints of poverty, race, geography and local politics."

-Bryan Stevenson, Death Row lawyer

"It can be argued that rapists deserve to be raped, that mutilators deserve to be mutilated. Most societies, however, refrain from responding in this way because the punishment is not only degrading to those on whom it is imposed, but it is also degrading to the society that engages in the same behavior as the criminals."

-Stephen Bright, human rights attorney

"I think this country would be much better off if we did not have capital punishment.... We cannot ignore the fact that in recent years a disturbing number of inmates on death row have been exonerated."

-John Paul Stevens, U.S. Supreme Court Justice

"I've been haunted by the men I was asked to execute in the name of the state of Florida. This is premeditated, carefully thought out ceremonial killing."

-Ron McAndrew, was a prison warden in Florida

"I'm of the opinion that we should eliminate capital punishment. Having been involved with justice agencies around the world, it's been somewhat embarrassing, quite frankly, that nations just as so-called civilized as ours think we're barbaric because we still have capital punishment."

-Reginald Wilkinson, was a prison director in Ohio

Civilised people do not kill others in the name of revenge.......Intense dave

Wrong topic. The question posed to us is if we have the balls to pull the trigger if capital sentence has already be given.

But to entertain you, the only reason why I would be against capital punishment is 'what if we got the wrong person?'

If a criminal truly deserves to die, like a Bundy, or Dahmer, without the shadow of a doubt, then do it. Call me uncivilized or barbaric all you want I'll be happy to wear the title.

Fact: Joffrey is dead.

Additional Fact: If I say anything that could be remotely considered as spoiler I'll be banned so I can't argue with you any more.

You've already spoiled this much for me, so thanks for that. What the hell, man. That's a really jerk thing to post for those of us that are still working our way through the books or TV series.

Next time use a spoiler tag. It takes two seconds, so don't be daft.

Eye for an eye. simple as that.

And yes, if my child grew up to be a killer,

I would drive him to the execution grounds myself. Period.

This world is already at full capacity, getting rid of the lowest of the low would be a great start to righting this ship.

If your Child as an adult murdered some one would you be OK with the loved ones of the person he/she killed killing him/her ?

That's tricky. I'd like to think I'll love my son for life, no matter what. But if he grew up, turned vicious, and murdered half a dozen people in cold blood? I can't say how I'd feel.

If my son was killed deliberately by someone, I would happily pull the trigger / kick the chair / press the button. No hesitation. And if the person was blatantly guilty but got off on a technicality, I would absolutely hunt the person down myself. Respect the family and all that jazz.

My uncle was murdered a few years ago, his killer got 5 years in jail. I feel like the justice system failed my family and as much as I feel that this piece of crap deserves to be punished I could never do anything personally. I just don't have that in me. I also think that the eye for a eye philosophy is just hurting yourself. It won't bring back your lost love one and it would cause other families harm. Yet If anything unsavory was to happen to this guy when he gets out of jail I wouldn't shed a tear.

Archived