The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Kesler Situation

TheSecretIsMe

There's a lot of controversy in regards to trading Kesler. Nonetheless, I for one think that trading him is potentially the best thing for this organization. He's got heart he's physical he can be clutch and he only makes $5 mill per year, he's a bargain and that's for damn sure. Hence, making him an attractive asset for any team.

I know a lot of people would rather move other players instead of him but the fact of the matter is, the return will be so minor that it'll probably have little to no impact on our roster. Minor trades won't do much, it's not like we're almost a top team and need a couple new pieces. The reality is that we kind of suck right now and even if we get better next season I don't see the Canucks dominating the league and becoming contenders.

This brings me to "The Kesler Situation"and my opinions on what happens if we keep him or trade him.

Keep him: 1. The team stays predominately the same.

2. We have legit chance at making the playoffs next year.

3. Kill another year on his contract making him less valuable if we choose to trade him in the future.

Trade him: 1. We bring in some young players who have the potential to be starts in the future.

2. We end up being terrible next year without his shut-down ability and don't make the playoffs.

3. We get a high draft pick for probably the next two seasons and might I add, these are deep drafts.

4. We change the dynamic of the team.

Building for the future in my opinion should have started yesterday. The core of this team isn't going to outplay other up and coming teams. We lost in the finals when basically everyone on the team had a career year. If we didn't win the cup then we're not going to win it now. Even if the players step up next season they will not dominate the league.

I for one think the benefits outweigh the costs. Therefore, trade him while you can get exactly what your asking for. If you want to to win the cup I think this is the way to go.

So CDC, how do you feel about my opinions? Should we keep him or say our farewells?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein

I favor trading Kesler and Garrison and/or Edler, plus Hansen, even Burrows .. no matter what Linden says, this core IS stale .. this organization is in trouble until the 'denial complex' is erased!

Off-topic: IMO the definition of insanity is using Einstein's quote to define insanity.

On-topic: I would absolutely love Kesler to stay with this team, especially with new coaching and management ahead. I doubt Kesler is moved at or before the draft, I imagine the new front office would like to see how the team reacts to the changes first. If things don't look good and Kes is still unhappy, then ship him. There really isn't a reason to be impatient when it comes to moving a player of Kes' caliber.

Off-topic: IMO the definition of insanity is using Einstein's quote to define insanity.

On-topic: I would absolutely love Kesler to stay with this team, especially with new coaching and management ahead. I doubt Kesler is moved at or before the draft, I imagine the new front office would like to see how the team reacts to the changes first. If things don't look good and Kes is still unhappy, then ship him. There really isn't a reason to be impatient when it comes to moving a player of Kes' caliber.

Off-topic: Well then call me insane

On-topic: Fair enough.

Totally agree Kryten.

No need to rush into any moves regarding Kesler right now.

Can remember how it felt to wish that Sedalbauer, Rick Blight or Dennis Kearns could help us to turn it 'round!

Edler's starting to feel like it did, waiting on Rick Lanz to deliver with consistency..Ah, the more things change...

As for Kes, at least he got healthy again. For this reason, if we can get a few strong pieces(eg:speculated Pitt deal), I'd say pull the trigger. Sending him East, would prob be best. To Anaheim, had better be landing a serious haul.

As for Kes, at least he got healthy again. For this reason, if we can get a few strong pieces(eg:speculated Pitt deal), I'd say pull the trigger. Sending him East, would prob be best. To Anaheim, had better be landing a serious haul.

Yeah if we trade him within the division especially. We can't bury ourselves with our own moves.

I favor trading Kesler and Garrison and/or Edler, plus Hansen, even Burrows .. no matter what Linden says, this core IS stale .. this organization is in trouble until the 'denial complex' is erased!

Agree with OP and Tearloch...agree with Tearloch in trading Edler and/or Garrison, Hansen, and Burrows.

I'm hoping that we are successful in: signing Statsny, and Niskanen or Boyle; trading for Kane, Gardiner and Reimer; giving greater responsibility to Kassian, Jensen, Matthias, and Tanev; creating roster spots for Horvat and Gaunce; re-signing Santorelli (2 years at $1.15m per).

There's a lot of controversy in regards to trading Kesler. Nonetheless, I for one think that trading him is potentially the best thing for this organization. He's got heart he's physical he can be clutch and he only makes $5 mill per year, he's a bargain and that's for damn sure. Hence, making him an attractive asset for any team.

I know a lot of people would rather move other players instead of him but the fact of the matter is, the return will be so minor that it'll probably have little to no impact on our roster. Minor trades won't do much, it's not like we're almost a top team and need a couple new pieces. The reality is that we kind of suck right now and even if we get better next season I don't see the Canucks dominating the league and becoming contenders.

This brings me to "The Kesler Situation"and my opinions on what happens if we keep him or trade him.

Keep him: 1. The team stays predominately the same.

2. We have legit chance at making the playoffs next year.

3. Kill another year on his contract making him less valuable if we choose to trade him in the future.

Trade him: 1. We bring in some young players who have the potential to be starts in the future.

2. We end up being terrible next year without his shut-down ability and don't make the playoffs.

3. We get a high draft pick for probably the next two seasons and might I add, these are deep drafts.

4. We change the dynamic of the team.

Building for the future in my opinion should have started yesterday. The core of this team isn't going to outplay other up and coming teams. We lost in the finals when basically everyone on the team had a career year. If we didn't win the cup then we're not going to win it now. Even if the players step up next season they will not dominate the league.

I for one think the benefits outweigh the costs. Therefore, trade him while you can get exactly what your asking for. If you want to to win the cup I think this is the way to go.

So CDC, how do you feel about my opinions? Should we keep him or say our farewells?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" -Einstein

I agree with most of what you say, but stating we lost in the final even when people had career years is true but misleading. Possibly team having been beaten down too much with a few major injuries might of played a bigger role. The other team was less injured and a great team besides...

That being said. I am good either way. If Kesler wants out by all meas trade him IF the return benefits the team. If it doesn't he stays. Or if he doesn't want to go well then we plod on.

It is a mistake for Ryan Kesler or Alex Edler to stay on this team. They are premium NHL players in their prime. They need to be on contending teams .

Staying here going around in circles has cost them 3 years of their prime already. If we can trade them for good returns, then it is a win/win for both the team and Ryan /Alex.

I am for trading Hamhuis as well , Garrison, basically anyone except the Twins Bieksa and Burrows. These 4 need to stay here to raise the youngsters.

Can remember how it felt to wish that Sedalbauer, Rick Blight or Dennis Kearns could help us to turn it 'round!

Edler's starting to feel like it did, waiting on Rick Lanz to deliver with consistency..Ah, the more things change...

You got grand kids, Nuxfanabroad? Bless you for being a long-suffering Canucks fan all these years.

To trade him would be a huge move for the organization...If he is traded I think that signals a complete rebuild,as he really is the only core player truly in his prime...I hope he sticks around next season,where I fully expect a turnaround /rebound from last season.

Yes, but this may be the best time to make a move. Sometimes not pulling the trigger is what kills you.

Lot's of things could 'kill you.'

- Selling from a point of weakness

- Forcing a player with an NTC to move

- Upsetting the locker room

- Getting a poor return

- Believing there is only one path to success

- Disenfranchising your customers

This is a complicated business and this is a complicated discussion. There are so many factors for which we are not privy and/or are not able to properly predict the alternative time/space dimensions.

I think with the rising cap that there might be little incentive to move Kesler now rather than midseason if a move is an eventuality.

As it has been said many times before, only if the deal offered is impossible to refuse.

It is a mistake for Ryan Kesler or Alex Edler to stay on this team. They are premium NHL players in their prime. They need to be on contending teams .

Staying here going around in circles has cost them 3 years of their prime already. If we can trade them for good returns, then it is a win/win for both the team and Ryan /Alex.

I am for trading Hamhuis as well , Garrison, basically anyone except the Twins Bieksa and Burrows. These 4 need to stay here to raise the youngsters.

I'm not a fan of Hamhuis but he needs to stay here as a mentor. If he is willing to waive, he can bring in a massive return though

I'm not a fan of Hamhuis but he needs to stay here as a mentor. If he is willing to waive, he can bring in a massive return though

Hamhuis has an amazing contract and signed here for cheap to stay in his hometown. He's one of my favorite players too, I really hope we don't trade him.

tank = trade him

don't tank = keep him

Meh I don't buy that. Kesler is a 40-50 point guy a best now and rapidly declining. Plus I'd much rather be a team that wins by committee like the Blue Jackets whose playoff hopes don't fall on one single player.

Archived