The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New rules approved for AHL 2014/15 season

elvis15

Utica Comets@UticaComets

.@TheAHL's Board of Governors approved new rules for the 14-15 season. Including new OT, and fighting rules. Release: http://www.uticacomets.com/ahls-board-of-governors-approves-rules-changes/

Brendan Burke@brendanmburke

#AHL with major change to overtime in 2014-15. It will be 7 minutes. 4-on-4 for first 3 min. 3-on-3 for last 4 min. Shootout to 3 rounds.

Chaired by AHL President and CEO David Andrews, the four days of meetings, which concluded Thursday, saw the approval of the following rules changes to be implemented beginning in 2014-15:

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)

• During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.
  • Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.
  • Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.
  • If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.
Rule 20.4 (“Major Penalties”)
  • An automatic game misconduct will be applied to any player who has been assessed two major penalties for fighting or three major penalties for any infraction in the same game.
Rule 9.6 (“Helmets”)

• A player on the ice whose helmet comes off during play will be assessed a minor penalty unless he immediately (a.) exits the playing surface or (b.) puts the helmet back on with the chin strap properly fastened.
“With the full support of the league’s Competition Committee and Player Development Committee, the Board has approved these changes with the betterment of our game and the safety of our players in mind,” said Andrews.

Don't like the OT rule and Helmets one.

Gonna be like the Olympics where a player loses his helmet, he has to go to the bench and leaves his team handicapped where it can cost them. Understand AHL wants it for player safety but a few seconds of play isn't much, like come on, keep at least a bit of traditional play allowed. Even if the player decides to pick up the helmet and put it on, that's a precious amount of time where he's useless and opposing teams can take advantage.

3 on 3 OT is just dumb imo. Kind of entertaining but what's the point really.

Helmet rule is interesting. Can't argue that it is definitely more safe, and will ensure players properly fasten the straps. But if it comes to the NHL, I'm going to miss the odd time you see a guy playing without his helmet for the rest of his shift.

Gonna be like the Olympics where a player loses his helmet, he has to go to the bench and leaves his team handicapped where it can cost them. Understand AHL wants it for player safety but a few seconds of play isn't much, like come on, keep at least a bit of traditional play allowed. Even if the player decides to pick up the helmet and put it on, that's a precious amount of time where he's useless and opposing teams can take advantage.

It's still more of a contribution to a team win than an individual event like the shootout. I like the OT rule.

The helmet one is purely safety, but I get the detraction even if it's that way in all levels of international hockey and hasn't been a problem that I can see. Maybe guys like Kassian will properly wear their helmets as a result so they don't pop off at the slightest breeze.

I like the sounds of the changes, especially OT.

I'm interested to see how well that goes, hopefully well enough for the NHL to make those changes as well.

Good idea to test it out in AHL. Shootouts make me sick though. They just plain suck.

Player safety shouldn't be jeopardized for the sake of tradition. Usually a few seconds isn't much, but all it takes is one hit and someone could be seriously hurt.

3 on 3 > Shootout. It's a much better way to decide games.

Rather have it decided in OT than shootout. Player skill versus team skill.

Helmets should be worn. Period. I love this rule. When do helmets come off? When players don't put them on properly. Teach people to put their helmets on properly.

Great rules, hope they go well and we get them in the NHL in a year.

While I long for the times when a player scores a goal during the shame shift that he's lost his helmet, you can't argue with basic player safety.

Besides in a fight I can't remember the last time a player got hurt because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Instead of making this rule maybe they should crack down on the players that wear their chinstrap really loose, like Bertuzzi always wears his there is a like a 4 inch gap between his chinstrap and head.

Besides in a fight I can't remember the last time a player got hurt because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Instead of making this rule maybe they should crack down on the players that wear their chinstrap really loose, like Bertuzzi always wears his there is a like a 4 inch gap between his chinstrap and head.

That is probably the main reason for this rule. Players won't want to risk their helmet coming off if they would be suddenly forced out of the play.

I do believe that helmet rule already exists in the dub. Cant "Play the puck" without a helmet if i recall.

no need to make the game more dangerous just because youve gotten older.

I wish they would do something better with the points/OT system. i really dont think losers should get points, no matter when they lost... But winning in regulation should get you one more point than winning in OT. that would bring out the hustle in everyone.

As far as the shootout... i really dislike it. It seems like a waste of statistical info, energy, and practice time. Besides, we spend so much time as fans reminding people (and ourselves) that hockey is a team sport and that losing shouldnt all be pinned on a goalie... except when a goalie sucks in shootouts... then for some reason, we just accept the bitter pill and look ahead to the next game. The logic doesnt make any sense.

Like the OT rule; anything that decreases/eliminates shootouts is good in my books. Don't like the helmet rule; love seeing guys keep on going without the lid myself. And the fighting rule is just stupid, because now teams will have to bring in MORE enforcers in order to be able to keep dirtier teams honest.

Archived