The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you support getting Gino's 29 retired or putting him in the Ring of Honour?

HerrDrFunk

Just to preface this, I did search for a similar topic already but couldn't find anything. If there is one I missed, I'll throw this in there instead.

I'll be completely honest, I never saw Gino Odjick play a game. I wasn't a hockey fan until years after he had hung up his skates. But when they retired Bure's jersey last season, I couldn't help but wonder who he was. So, I started doing some digging. I read up on him and his career and watched as many YouTube clips of Gino I could find. The more I watched, the more I found myself liking the guy.

Like many of you, I was extremely dismayed to learn of his battle with AL amyloidosis. Considering he may not have very long left with us, I think it would be amazing if the Canucks were to retire his jersey or put him in the Ring of Honour next season. Because if you can make a fan out of someone who never saw you play, I think it means you made your mark on the city, the sport and its fans.

What do you all think?

P.S. I'll just leave you with this clip of Gino trying to fight every Blue on the ice.

Gino was a great team guy and endlessly entertaining. I did see him play, and still remember him challenging every guy on the ice during a brawl (I think it was against St. Louis), and loved him. That said, he was a depth player. He wasn't even dressed regularly during our '94 playoff run, despite that year being BY FAR his best statistical season of his career (16 goals and 29 points - most points he had any other season was 17). Retiring his jersey, or even putting him in the ROH cheapens the whole thing. For comparison's sake: Career Playoff Points Linden - 99 (95 with Vancouver) Bure - 70 (66) Smyl - 33 Naslund - 36 (33) H. Sedin - 74 Ohlund - 31 (28) Lumme - 44 (40) G. Courtnall - 109 (61) Odjick - 5

No and no,the ring of honor has to be harder to get into than that.Maybe name a section or gate after Gino.

Won't a gate named after someone be a higher honor than the ROH? Correct me if I'm wrong but Linden is the only one with a gate named after him, right?

I'd support Gino in the ring of honour, he was a part of the 94 run, he is a fan favourite and he did a lot for the city and fans. At the very minimum I would expect a ceremony and a semi-permanent tribute in the arena.

people who think this is only being brought up because of his condition are ridiculous.... i think it should be expedited because of his condition , but i know me and all my friends and family have been saying since day 1 that the ROH was brought in that Gino should be in it...people got just as excited when he hit the ice as bure... number retirements are for the greats ROH is for fan favorites...and he is arguably the best at his role in canucks history... sure brash won a ton of fights but that was the era of the staged fights started, where you knew brash and the other teams tough guy were going to fight even if there was nothing to fight about... and people who are trying to lump gino in with other ex players who have died that really didnt do much of anything for the team need to take a walk.

I would do the same as was done with Wayne Maki's number 11. Unofficially retired, no jersey in the rafters.

Also, honour Gino with a helmet decal for the remainder of this season and have a display somewhere amongst the other displays that celebrate the team's past to mention Gino and his battles.

As popular as Gino is with fans, I don't think Gino belongs in the rafters or with a display in the ring of honour.

people who think this is only being brought up because of his condition are ridiculous.... i think it should be expedited because of his condition , but i know me and all my friends and family have been saying since day 1 that the ROH was brought in that Gino should be in it...people got just as excited when he hit the ice as bure... number retirements are for the greats ROH is for fan favorites...and he is arguably the best at his role in canucks history... sure brash won a ton of fights but that was the era of the staged fights started, where you knew brash and the other teams tough guy were going to fight even if there was nothing to fight about... and people who are trying to lump gino in with other ex players who have died that really didnt do much of anything for the team need to take a walk.

"The Ring of Honour initiative ...is intended to celebrate and salute Canuck heroes who have made a lasting impact on the franchise."

I guess it really is subject to interpretation as to what "a lasting impact" is. Other than being a popular guy, I'm not sure what his lasting impact would be above and beyond the vast majority of players who have played for the team over 4+ decades.

Archived