The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you support getting Gino's 29 retired or putting him in the Ring of Honour?

HerrDrFunk

Wasn't Maki an active player when he was claimed by cancer? I think the tradition of retiring or honoring jersey's under those circumstances was generally only for active players (not that there are fixed "rules" for these sort of things).

You could argue that Gino can take some credit for Bure's number hanging in the rafters. But really, would we even be having this discussion if he was healthy?

No we wouldn't and that's the point I want to make.

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Gino and his family (I was a huge fan of his also), if he is added to the ring of honour, then what about Bourdon? what about Rypien?

You see where that's leading....

I'm an all on board for a tribute at some point during the season. Really, I just hope he gets well and is able to live out his life.

No we wouldn't and that's the point I want to make.

Meaning absolutely no disrespect to Gino and his family (I was a huge fan of his also), if he is added to the ring of honour, then what about Bourdon? what about Rypien?

You see where that's leading....

I'm an all on board for a tribute at some point during the season. Really, I just hope he gets well and is able to live out his life.

Absolutely we would eventually be having this discussion if he didnt get ill - eventually, its just been pushed up early a bit because hes ill now. His impact on the team and community existed long before he got ill, and that wouldnt change if he was healthy.

Your argument however, lost most of its credibility when you added Bourdon and Rypien. Neither played much for us, and didnt have remotely the team and community impact that Odjick had over a long period of time. Full respect to those young men that lost their lives too soon, however very few canuck fans would feel they deserve ROH compared to Odjick for the reasons i mentioned. I do have to add though, although Rypien had a very minor contribution on the ice and in the community compared to Odjick - post death the Canucks have done a lot of great things for mental health, which might not have happened if it wasnt for his death.

They should construct a little nook or shine for him. He, Linden and Pavel got me into hockey, but thats a generational thing. I remember the 25th anniversary stickers at school and I hoarded them. Traded pogs for them.

We already have retired too many, especially with the Twins coming up. All this with no cup SO FAR...

They should construct a little nook or shine for him. He, Linden and Pavel got me into hockey, but thats a generational thing. I remember the 25th anniversary stickers at school and I hoarded them. Traded pogs for them.

We already have retired too many, especially with the Twins coming up. All this with no cup SO FAR...

Not that many.

i agree with ROH. but retiring a number would be a little bit of a stretch... i dont agree with bure or naslund being up there, so

not Gino.

My sentiments exactly. Definitely ROH. He wasn't just some goon to the fans of Vancouver. He was Bure's best friend, and was probably talked about more than any other guy like him since Tiger WIlliams.

I wonder how many people who think he shouldn't be there saw him play? He was a fan favorite and very entertaining to watch. He's part of Canucks history and deserves to be a permanent part of it.

I wonder how many want him there that never saw him play. Should Brashear go up as well? He was a better fighter and better point producer. Gino is best known for his fighting and on ice antics. Not really RoH worthy and definitely not number retirement. Has a knuckle dragger ever had his number retired? A tribute night is enough. Or are we going to just start putting every former player who dies in the RoH?

I wonder how many want him there that never saw him play. Should Brashear go up as well? He was a better fighter and better point producer. Gino is best known for his fighting and on ice antics. Not really RoH worthy and definitely not number retirement. Has a knuckle dragger ever had his number retired? A tribute night is enough. Or are we going to just start putting every former player who dies in the RoH?

I suspect some nostalgia and revisionist history comes into it - having watched the Canucks forever, other than the neat side stories of Gino and Pavel being friends and Gino overcoming obstacles to get to the NHL (including a lot of racism), there was nothing that special about his role on the team (compared to hundreds of other players over the years).

I suspect some nostalgia and revisionist history comes into it - having watched the Canucks forever, other than the neat side stories of Gino and Pavel being friends and Gino overcoming obstacles to get to the NHL (including a lot of racism), there was nothing that special about his role on the team (compared to hundreds of other players over the years).

I agree. I doubt there's many here, if any at all, who were well into adulthood when Gino came into the league that agree with anything more than a tribute night for him. Without a doubt it's sad what he's going through, but suggestions of RoH, number retirement, and even a statue are an overreaction imo.

This has to be most disrespectful thread ive seen on these boards. Can you imagine if his family came on here and saw this? Gino is still alive and fighting this disease, and his family hasnt given up, so why have all of you? Youve determined yourselves that hes not going to make it, and are already planning a way to memorialize him? Seriously, some people on these boards care only for the dramatics and can give a shit-less about who gets hurt. CDC, please do the odjick family a favour and take this thread down.

Even if he wasn't sick, he still deserves to be in the ROH. As stated earlier, that man provided protection for players like Bure, Ronning, and Linden so they could do their thing. Admittedly, he wasn't the most skilled player, but the ways he contributed to this team should never be underestimated.

You don't retire a jersey because a players dying or terminally sick. Otherwise every number probably would be retired by now. His stamp on the canucks wasn't too impressive enough for that, because you're comparing him to people like Markus Naslund, Pavel Bure, Stan Smyl, Trevor Linden which is not the case. He was an enforcer, and a good enforcer, But he was not a franchise player or a memorable player. Sadly Gino isn't very rememberable to modern day hockey fans.

Sad Reality.

Archived