The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you support getting Gino's 29 retired or putting him in the Ring of Honour?

HerrDrFunk

can you honestly say youve never heard anybody since they brought in the ROH say that gino should be up there until now??? i think people just want it done before he passes so he can be around to enjoy the honor...he was the greatest canuck of all time in his role... but i guess to some people being the body guard to the only canuck whos in the HOF is no big deal... played a tremendous roll, fantastic in the community and with fans.. is that not enough??? look at whos up there... kurtenbach is up there because he is a triva question....he doenst have very good stats or hold any records....mclean who i love has had all his records broken by Lu...snepts former record holder for most penalty minutes and games played... doesnt hold the records any more basically up as a fan favorite...and gradin who was a great scorer for us back in the day.... so how exactly does Gino not make it up?

If you have to ask this question no simple explanation would suffice. It would take days and weeks to explain hockey right from the beginning. He had 98 points over 8 years or 12 points a year. That is not worthy of the ROH honor. Giving out awards to people who don't qualify because they are sick is demeaning to the concept, the others in the ring, and the recipient himself.

What a ridiculous idea, no body guards are not worthy ROH candidates. You might at well put everyone in there then and it becomes useless. An aboriginal fund program and a different type of honor is far more appropriate and I'm sure Gino would agree.

read my above post... besides gradin who has above and beyond numbers? and who can you say a guy that would go out there win a fight and change momentum for the team and get the building rocking night after night is not a cornerstone player? you mustve been to young to really remember . people are now making up the bar for what has to be reached to make the ROH when the players already up there didnt really do much besides being fan favorites or like i siad in kurtenbacks case.. hes a triva question and was the best player on a really bad canucks team... (he won canucks mvp with 9 goals one year)

Really all your basing it upon is some good memories you had with him in the past. He was a great fighter yeah thats great, but besides being a good fighter, he didn't do much else. And really your basing your qualifications more so on good memories and emotion that Gino is sick rather than him being an actual good player.

Its funny how you say Orland is trivial being up there. Gino being up there would be the exact same. Orland was also great with the community, actually posted respectable numbers for the team, also fought for his team, oh and lets not forget our first captain in Franchise history. Gino yeah he posted some solid numbers in the PIMs column. Yeah he did body guard Bure our hall of famer, but that alone really has no relevance to why he should be in the ROH. "Oh yeah Gino was in the ROH cause he protected Bure" Give me a break.

The reason why Snespts, Gradin and co are up there as well because they also are a big part of our organization right now in Scouting, alumni, community and etc. Not only are they commemorated for their playing career but for what they are doing currently as well for this organization.

Gino is a great memory for this organization and what he has done isn't something to simply push out. But you don't need to put him in the ROH to be remembered.

Retired? No. ROH? Yeah, sure.

I think a permanent statue somewhere around Rogers would be appropriate. Also, the Canucks need to be wearing a patch for a season in his honour. Whether he survives this battle or not. Naming an award after him could be a nice gesture as well.

But all of this being said, COME ON GINO! YOU'VE GOT THIS!

If you have to ask this question no simple explanation would suffice. It would take days and weeks to explain hockey right from the beginning. He had 98 points over 8 years or 12 points a year. That is not worthy of the ROH honor. Giving out awards to people who don't qualify because they are sick is demeaning to the concept, the others in the ring, and the recipient himself.

What a ridiculous idea, no body guards are not worthy ROH candidates. You might at well put everyone in there then and it becomes useless. An aboriginal fund program and a different type of honor is far more appropriate and I'm sure Gino would agree.

You can't judge a players impact based on points alone. The ROH is for players that created a lasting impact, Gino has done that as evidenced by this thread. Even the CDC homepage had him in their list of top 50 favourite Canucks of all time, the list was made before Gino's health problems.

you do know its not an award for a certain type of player right? your just making that up in your head... he was the greatest at his roll this team has ever had or will ever have.. coupled that with community work and being a fan favorite thats enough right there... like i said snepts is up there as a fan favorite... different players play different roles... snepts is up because he was probably the most steady defenceman in canucks history up to ohlund... kurtenback is up because he is the first capatian , it couldve been anyone , it was a bad team and hes up there because hes is a trivia question... so how exactly would it be demeaning to those guys if gino who was the best all time at his roll goes up? ask quinn and kirk if they think he doesnt deserve it or better yet ask pavel ... if you dont actually comprehend what gino brought to the team night in night out and his contributions thats on you.. other peopel actually understand how important he was.

except messier wore it for 3 years.... what an ass hat that guy was.

It was a poor decision to let Messier have it by Canuck brass, but the team ownership was desperate to try to patch up the core of the '94 team. I'm one of the few fans not critical of Messier for his time here. He was a 35 year old free agent who had nothing left to prove and we threw ridiculous money at him with the expectation that he was going to be our franchise savour. The Canucks were the ass hats.

The main thing is for there to be a night to honour him while he's still alive. This guy is one of the most loved Canucks of all time, and it would mean something to him to feel it one last time. RoH would be fine, number retirement (formal or informal) not, but I don't want to argue about any of that. Gino was the people's choice so let the people honour him.

It was a poor decision to let Messier have it by Canuck brass, but the team ownership was desperate to try to patch up the core of the '94 team. I'm one of the few fans not critical of Messier for his time here. He was a 35 year old free agent who had nothing left to prove and we threw ridiculous money at him with the expectation that he was going to be our franchise savour. The Canucks were the ass hats.

If you had asked the roster of players whether they should bring 'Mess" in....I'm not sure all hands would have been up. Messier did an awful lot of things in his career... that did NOT earn universal respect. We saw far more selfishness & ego from that guy than true leadership when he was here,...all the more exposing how entitled this guy was in NY. Giving him the captaincy here.. for nothin' he had done to earn or prove himself to the guys in that particular room,...was an ill-conceived request & a bigger mistake.

As for Gino,..un-officially re-tiring his # 29 - yes, possibly. I'd really like to see a concourse place featuring much of his work with First Nation's youth & groups...then creating an annual event, scholarship & fund to properly acknowledge those efforts & have the Vancouver Canucks maintain an involvement in that. That would be a nice tribute, too.

Keep your spirit bright & fight the good fight each day, Gino! Forever a Canuck! :canucks:

I should add, a big Gino highlight for me was his play in '96 playoffs against the AVs. Had 3 goals in the 6 game series and was one of the better Canuck forwards. Game 2 especially with the 2G performance, including the GWG in a 5-4 win. There's also his breakaway goal against the Flames that showed you the guy had hands.

What I would do is reserve the number 29 for our enforcers. Whoever is our policeman could wear #29 in honour of Gino who was above all else a warrior.

I really like this idea. Except it kind of makes the guy wearing it always under the shadow of Gino.

No doubt Gino has a real soft spot in Canucks fans hearts. I think if/when he passes they should construct some sort of memorial tribute to him at rogers arena.

Would be nice to see a statue or wall dedicated to him or something along those lines. A Gino patch on our jerseys too would be nice.

As much as he was our beloved tough guy I don't think by NHL standards there is any way to officially retire is number.

can you honestly say youve never heard anybody since they brought in the ROH say that gino should be up there until now??? i think people just want it done before he passes so he can be around to enjoy the honor...he was the greatest canuck of all time in his role... but i guess to some people being the body guard to the only canuck whos in the HOF is no big deal... played a tremendous roll, fantastic in the community and with fans.. is that not enough??? look at whos up there... kurtenbach is up there because he is a triva question....he doenst have very good stats or hold any records....mclean who i love has had all his records broken by Lu...snepts former record holder for most penalty minutes and games played... doesnt hold the records any more basically up as a fan favorite...and gradin who was a great scorer for us back in the day.... so how exactly does Gino not make it up?

McLean backstopped our '94 cup run. Odjick was a healthy scratch more games than he played. How's that for a start?

Snepsts was in the all-star game twice, and was a huge part of our '82 run. He racked up tonnes of minutes per game, and was a cornerstone of any success we had when he was here. I wouldn't put him on par with a guy not worth dressing when it counts most.

Ring of Honour for sure. No Canuck fan has anything bad to say abount Gino. He's one of the most Legendary players to play for us. Get it done.

That's how I feel. I could care less how many points he had, he's a damn legend in BC. Gino comes across as family to us canuck fans and I think he should go in the ring of honor.

It's not like we're going to throw every enforcer and small time player in there. Gino captured our hearts somehow and he deserves the honor in my opinion.

Nobody is ever going to tell their kids how tough Donald Brashear was.. but everyone will tell their kids about Gino and his Russian best friend.

Of course he should be in the ROH!

The name Gino Odjick still carries weight in this town and he hasn't played here in years!

The work this guy did with his community, what he meant personally to so many.

This guy wasn't just a player we had under contract, this guy was a Vancouver Canuck, and after Trevor Linden he just might be the most popular player in our history.

If he isn't put in the ROH then the ROH is a joke, I would have said this before he got sick too.

people who think this is only being brought up because of his condition are ridiculous.... i think it should be expedited because of his condition , but i know me and all my friends and family have been saying since day 1 that the ROH was brought in that Gino should be in it...people got just as excited when he hit the ice as bure... number retirements are for the greats ROH is for fan favorites...and he is arguably the best at his role in canucks history... sure brash won a ton of fights but that was the era of the staged fights started, where you knew brash and the other teams tough guy were going to fight even if there was nothing to fight about... and people who are trying to lump gino in with other ex players who have died that really didnt do much of anything for the team need to take a walk.

I wonder how many people who think he shouldn't be there saw him play? He was a fan favorite and very entertaining to watch. He's part of Canucks history and deserves to be a permanent part of it.

Archived