The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would you support getting Gino's 29 retired or putting him in the Ring of Honour?

HerrDrFunk

Kind of tacky. If Gino never got sick and died at 80 in his sleep.

There would NEVER be any thought of retiring his number or a ROH member.

Therefore the only reason he is being considered here, is because he is sick.

That is not a good reason. I am sure Gino would agree too.

No he shouldn't be in either. Puttin him in just because he is terminally ill isn't right and I'm sure Gino wouldn't want to be added for that reason.

Support fund for first nations kids playing hockey would be along the lines of what I think they should do (if anything).

Kind of tacky. If Gino never got sick and died at 80 in his sleep.

There would NEVER be any thought of retiring his number or a ROH member.

Therefore the only reason he is being considered here, is because he is sick.

That is not a good reason. I am sure Gino would agree too.

can you honestly say youve never heard anybody since they brought in the ROH say that gino should be up there until now??? i think people just want it done before he passes so he can be around to enjoy the honor...he was the greatest canuck of all time in his role... but i guess to some people being the body guard to the only canuck whos in the HOF is no big deal... played a tremendous roll, fantastic in the community and with fans.. is that not enough??? look at whos up there... kurtenbach is up there because he is a triva question....he doenst have very good stats or hold any records....mclean who i love has had all his records broken by Lu...snepts former record holder for most penalty minutes and games played... doesnt hold the records any more basically up as a fan favorite...and gradin who was a great scorer for us back in the day.... so how exactly does Gino not make it up?

I love Gino. Respect him and appreciate his service for this team and what he did for the community. He is a great character and a great person.

However, from a hockey standpoint, he was just an enforcer. Yeah he was entertaining and stood up for his teammates, which I applaud him because that is a hard thing to do in hockey.

But all this talk about ROH, retiring number etc is working on emotion about Gino's terrible news on his disease. If he didn't have what he has, would we honestly feel the same way? Most likely not.

The ROH and retiring numbers is for players who made this team exciting to watch, who were cornerstones and vital to this franchise. Yes Gino was great to watch, but he wasn't a cornerstone player for this franchise. Like Dogbyte said the ROH and retiring numbers is to celebrate players based on having above and beyond an average player's career, its not for feeling sympathy because someone has a disease.

Why are we discussing this? hes still alive and fighting it.

because he should be around the enjoy the honor....unlike pat burns with the HOF.... gino deserves to be up in the ring sick or not... but he is sick so lets make sure it gets done when he is around to enjoy it....like i said in above post look who is in the ring and what they actaully accomplished... its a fan favorite ring not the hall of fame...

I love Gino. Respect him and appreciate his service for this team and what he did for the community. He is a great character and a great person.

However, from a hockey standpoint, he was just an enforcer. Yeah he was entertaining and stood up for his teammates, which I applaud him because that is a hard thing to do in hockey.

But all this talk about ROH, retiring number etc is working on emotion about Gino's terrible news on his disease. If he didn't have what he has, would we honestly feel the same way? Most likely not.

The ROH and retiring numbers is for players who made this team exciting to watch, who were cornerstones and vital to this franchise. Yes Gino was great to watch, but he wasn't a cornerstone player for this franchise. Like Dogbyte said the ROH and retiring numbers is to celebrate players based on having above and beyond an average player's career, its not for feeling sympathy because someone has a disease.

Sorry to be the harsh guy but realistically thats what its all about. I love and respect Gino but just because he has a terminal disease does not justify him being in the ROH.

read my above post... besides gradin who has above and beyond numbers? and who can you say a guy that would go out there win a fight and change momentum for the team and get the building rocking night after night is not a cornerstone player? you mustve been to young to really remember . people are now making up the bar for what has to be reached to make the ROH when the players already up there didnt really do much besides being fan favorites or like i siad in kurtenbacks case.. hes a triva question and was the best player on a really bad canucks team... (he won canucks mvp with 9 goals one year)

Archived