The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Freaky bug experiences thread

Keslerific

In todays world there are so many bugs out there it's inevitable that people like us will run into them. We may find some bugs are cool or interesting like dragon flies. Where as some we may find are more scary or freaky such as spiders and moths. I've had many experiences when I was younger and playing outside with friends where running into these types of bugs happened quite often. So I figured maybe I'm not alone in this and would share some of my own personal experiences and have a thread where everybody could share their own experiences with bugs/insects! let's here some of yours, hear are some of mine.

hqdefault.jpg

(That was a good show by the way)

I have so many more that I could list than this but here are three.

When I was a kid I used to play in my backyard a lot and would encounter weird bugs all the time, there were three in particular that stood out, one was interesting, one was damn scary to me, and the other was what the hell.

There was a crab apple tree in our back yard where my buds used to always have a snack at, we would pick them right off the branches and would eat them right there. One day I noticed some of the branches would jump just by touching them, they weren't really branches, they were actually what are called stick bugs and just blended in with the tree. Those one's weren't too scary as my school teacher at the time had actually brought some in to class about a month prior to me finding these so I knew what they were and just found them interesting up close.

I was really into Pokemon as a kid and always thought Scyther was really cool. I think it's because of this that I really thought praying mantis' were cool too. So I was shocked when I found one in my backyard one day, I crouched down and just stared at it, it was just there rubbing it's scythes(?) together staring at me with it's big eyes. I just said hmm, cool, and left. I would have spent more time looking at it and maybe capturing it if I knew how rare they are now. I live in Calgary so finding a mantis in an urban environment doesn't happen, at least not to me since I last saw that mantis.

Although stick bugs and Mantis' (do I just use mantis?) are kind of neat, I always hated spiders. We had an old blue fence in my back yard and I would often see spider webs on some of the corners around the fence. One time I was out playing and noticed there was really thick webbing in one of the corners, there was so much webbing I could not see through it. Curious and not wanting to reach in with my bare hand I looked around for a stick. I found said stick and decided to give this weird webbing a poke. I was shocked at what came out because what came out was a spider unlike any I had seen before. Out came a really big white spider, what is called a "crab spider" and it looked just like this

Crab_Spider.jpg

I freaked out and threw a volleyball at it and it died. If it happened today I would probably freak out for a few seconds then take some pictures and just let it live it's life. When you're young you might not appreciate these things, but I know for me that once I got older I sort of appreciated all these weird bug encounters/memories I had when I was younger because this stuff never happens to me anymore.

I'm sorry crab spider =(

My backyard right now is infested with spiders, wasps and beetles of all kinds which really doesn't bother me. What kind of sucks is in the Spring or Winter when the Black Widows are on the move and sometimes they like dangling from the ceiling at face height. Not a pleasant moment walking face first into one of those guys.

I honestly don't get people's revulsion to non-venomous spiders and insects. I think they're pretty cool.

I have a problem when they're in my house, which is rare. I try not to kill them but instead let them outside. I do this with lady bugs all the time. The exception is flies and mosquitoes. Flies sit on dog crap and are unsanitary as you can get and mosquitoes are potentially disease carrying, blood suckers. They don't deserve a second chance once they manage to get into my house :lol:

I have a problem when they're in my house, which is rare. I try not to kill them but instead let them outside. I do this with lady bugs all the time. The exception is flies and mosquitoes. Flies sit on dog crap and are unsanitary as you can get and mosquitoes are potentially disease carrying, blood suckers. They don't deserve a second chance once they manage to get into my house :lol:

Oh, I'm all for killing mosquitos. Those fuckers can stay away from me. Wasps too.

That's what I try to do as well, I use a zapper on mosquitos/flies. With other bugs I try to scoop them up with a swatter and put them out.

Had a water bed as a kid. For a week straight one time I was getting bites. Bad ones. Finally I lifted the water bed up and found a massive wolf spider chilling in the bed boards. Squished it with the TV remote and now I terminate spiders around my bedroom with extreme prejudice.

Absolutely. Spiders, dragonflies, and frogs do their part too.

Agreed. I like the dragonflies the most out of that bunch though, aggressive lifecycle geared to slaughtering mosquitoes. More of those guys please.

11 year old me was absolutely terrified of spiders. Couldn't stand even looking at them. Anyway so I'm lying in my bed one night when i feel a slight tingling on my chest. I stick my hand under the covers and grab for it, assuming it was just a random hair. Eventually I grab the "hair" and go to lift it up, when suddenly it starts squirming around in my fingers. I freaked out and ran screaming to the spare bedroom where I slept for the rest of the night.

I didn't actually see it but I'm pretty sure what I grabbed was one of these mofos:

daddy_long_legs_lrg.jpg

Archived