The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks assign Shinkaruk to Utica

TheRussianRocket.

@VanCanucks:

#Canucks assign @H_S_9 to @UticaComets.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=732868

Vancouver, B.C. Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by one player.

The following player has been assigned to the Utica Comets:

Hunter Shinkaruk Forward

I'm guessing this means they're making room to keep Horvat and have Shink ready as an injury callup who if impresses can stick up in the bigs as well.

Oh well, hope Shink gets a few callups...really impressed this pre-season and proved he can get infront of the net and score dirty one's too.

I don't think Benning is high on this guy's talent and potential (going back to the rumors he was offered for the 1st overall; never mentioned in the guys he's hopeful at camp)...however Shink didn't play well the past couple games and became obvious he was gonna get cut.

Hope he'll be a first/second line callup if there's injuries...

I liked what Hunter showed last night, he did hustle hard and played a decent two-way game. However it's good that young guns like him get time to season in the minors before getting a shot in the NHL. It'd do him well too, since this would be his first season playing against men rather than boys.

Side question, I read somewhere else that both Hunter and Bo-Ho are 19, so why can Hunter go to Utica whereas Bo can't?

I liked what Hunter showed last night, he did hustle hard and played a decent two-way game. However it's good that young guns like him get time to season in the minors before getting a shot in the NHL. It'd do him well too, since this would be his first season playing against men rather than boys.

Side question, I read somewhere else that both Hunter and Bo-Ho are 19, so why can Hunter go to Utica whereas Bo can't?

You read wrong. Hunter is 30

Shinkaruk has played all of his Junior level eligibility years, whereas Horvat has not.

Shinkaruk has 4 seasons of Junior under his belt, Horvat only has 3.

That said, Shinkaruks last season was shortened due to injury, so in theory Shinkaruk and Horvat are at the same developmental level, with Horvat having physical attributes and a skillset more suited to the NHL at this point in time.

Shinkaruk I believe will be a more electrifying player than Horvat, whereas Horvat will be a more well rounded good 2C/Elite 3C in the league.

Guest Dasein

I don't think Benning is high on this guy's talent and potential (going back to the rumors he was offered for the 1st overall; never mentioned in the guys he's hopeful at camp)...however Shink didn't play well the past couple games and became obvious he was gonna get cut.

Being included in an offer for the 1st overall indicates Benning knows exactly what Shinkaruk can bring - it's not easy convincing another GM to let go of a 1st overall pick, and Benning thought highly enough of Shinkaruk to think he could be what the other team needs as the final push for a 1st overall. It's called making a hockey trade - you're not going to fleece GM out of a 1st overall pick. You give up talent to acquire talent.

If the rumours are even true, that is.

Benning specifically said to the press that the Shink trade rumours were false. If that's your only reason for thinking Benning doesn't like Hunter, you may need to reconsider.

I think Shinkaruk just gets more time in Utica because of team needs. Jensen and Horvat can make a much bigger impact against large Pacific teams in the near future

The guy gave all he got and laid it all out on the table. Proud of the guy, he really proved to fans, management and other players he is all game. He has had doubters from the scouts(thinking he is too small), management (wanting to trade him for the first pick), other players that he can be a player.

Hunter will be up sooner rather than later count on it. This kid has the skill, the heart and the will to win. He will be a key piece for us moving forward...need more players like Shinkaruk.

Played very well in pre-season action, but you still gotta pay your dues in the AHL and develop in to a pro. Shink showed he can be useful to the team sooner rather than later.. he's not a long shot prospect. He's gonna be a pesky 3rd liner to start his career, and we'll see where he goes from there. He's a good candidate to replace Higgins/Hansen in a season or two.

Hunter's time in the AHL will serve him well, there's no doubting he's a big part of our future.

I think Horvat and Jensen are more NHL ready at this point in time.

Hopefully they both can stay with the big club even if that means moving a veteran player out.

Archived