The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Have the lottery for 3rd Pick

If you really wanted to dismiss the idea of teams tanking, then what about something like this?

The minute that a team is eliminated from the playoff race (mathematically eliminated) their games start counting towards the #1 pick. Each win is still worth 2 points, each loss gives 0, and the team with the most points towards the #1 overall wins it.

There are a number of advantages to a situation like this.

1) You can't suddenly just sell off all your assets and leave your fans to wait for next year, there would literally be a reason to cheer for your teams throughout the ENTIRE season.

2) The worst teams would still be encouraged to get better as opposed to the system as it is now.

3) The sooner you are eliminated, the sooner you can gain points for #1 so the extra time you have to gain points over "better" (stayed in the playoff race longer) teams acts as somewhat of a buffer towards simply being a bad team incapable of wins anyway.

4) The NHL can take some heat off of themselves for (for some unknown reason) picking the #1 team behind closed doors, the point system would be super obvious to anyone who cared to pay attention, and there would be no surprises.

This idea would at MINIMUM make tanking A LOT easier to notice, if a team was really stinking it up in the first half, but then suddenly were stringing wins together after they were eliminated, fishy no?

Here's my solution...

First off, for all the teams that qualify for the playoffs:

30th pick - Stanley Cup Champs

29th pick - Stanley Cup loser

28th/27th - Conference final losers -- coin flip between who see who picks 27th and 28th

26th/25th/24th/23rd - Second Round losers -- regular season standings determines sequence of picks

22nd/21st/20th/19th/18th/17th/16th/15th -- First Round losers -- regular season standings determines sequence of picks

For the non-playoff teams...make all of the picks a lottery pick:

1st pick - set up a drum. Each team gets a corresponding number of ping pong balls based on their place in the standings. Eg., 30th place team gets 14 balls (chances); 29th gets 13 balls; 28th gets 12 balls, etc.

2nd pick - set up a separate drum. Remove the team that got the 1st pick and drop the same number of balls for each team (minus the team that got the first pick) for the second pick.

3rd to 13th pick - set up a separate drum and repeat as you did for 1st and 2nd pick.

Odds of getting first overall pick under this scheme:

30th: 13%; 29th: 12%; 28th: 11%; 27th: 10%; 26th: 10%; 25th: 9%; 24th: 8%; 23rd: 7%; 22nd: 6%; 21st: 5%; 20th: 4%; 19th: 3%; 18th: 2%; 17th: 1%

This should eliminate the notion of tanking.

But then you'd have good teams who just missed the playoffs, such as an LA type team, potentially getting the 1st overall pick.

Yeah, that's part of the risk, but at the same time it's better than rewarding teams for deliberate ineptitude. Do you think if finishing last had the same value as finishing 14th teams like Buffalo and Arizona and Toronto would have tanked as blatantly as they did? It would make the draft more interesting, spread the talent around more, and force teams to look at other ways to build their teams rather than sucking for picks.

Also, I don't mean just having a draw for the first pick, I mean having a lottery to determine the entire non playoff draft order.

I think the best way to discourage tanking would be to have all teams who miss the playoffs have an equal chance at the pick.

I've maintained this stance for the last 10 seasons. Weighted system bothers me too much. The last time I was this frustrated that Edmonton could land the 1st overall pick again was the last time they got it, and the time before that as well. Ending up with 4 first overall picks in 6 years is such a broken system. Clearly choosing the 1st overall pick hasn't improved that organization one bit. What's worse is that the players they are choosing are developing poorly because the Oilers aren't fixing the actual problem, which is management and development. Getting McDavid or Eichel isn't going to solve their problem.

I think that could work but here's an idea me and a few others have tossed around before: Of the 16 teams that make the playoffs, the team that finishes just outside gets the first overall pick, and then the teams that finish 30th and 29th get the 2nd and 3rd overall respectively.

If you really wanted to dismiss the idea of teams tanking, then what about something like this?

The minute that a team is eliminated from the playoff race (mathematically eliminated) their games start counting towards the #1 pick. Each win is still worth 2 points, each loss gives 0, and the team with the most points towards the #1 overall wins it.

There are a number of advantages to a situation like this.

1) You can't suddenly just sell off all your assets and leave your fans to wait for next year, there would literally be a reason to cheer for your teams throughout the ENTIRE season.

2) The worst teams would still be encouraged to get better as opposed to the system as it is now.

3) The sooner you are eliminated, the sooner you can gain points for #1 so the extra time you have to gain points over "better" (stayed in the playoff race longer) teams acts as somewhat of a buffer towards simply being a bad team incapable of wins anyway.

4) The NHL can take some heat off of themselves for (for some unknown reason) picking the #1 team behind closed doors, the point system would be super obvious to anyone who cared to pay attention, and there would be no surprises.

This idea would at MINIMUM make tanking A LOT easier to notice, if a team was really stinking it up in the first half, but then suddenly were stringing wins together after they were eliminated, fishy no?

So what if a team starts 0-42-0 and starts winning from there? I'm not really sure about this one.

But the original, making the lottery for the 3rd pick, is intriguing. I'm not sure it would solve the tanking for the 1st, but it does make sense.

why do people care if a crap team is perceived to be tanking? It's not like the Canucks were in the hunt for the 1st overall.

For me, I don't care about tanking so much, nor holding out any hope of the Canucks getting the pick. I just don't like the weighted system, nor that a team like Edmonton gets that pick and still can't manage to improve. Not only is it bad for the development of that player, but financially it's not good for the league either. Had RNH and Yakupov ended up on other teams that are struggling for viewership and merch sales, you would see a lot more of their jerseys around then there are currently. More importantly, and this is all "what if", but perhaps their development would have gone better than it has in Edmonton.

It's not the blatant taking that I have an issue with, it's that the NHL needs to fix the drafting system in place. If a team gets a first overall pick one year, perhaps the best they can choose for the next 5 years is no better than 5th overall. Hell, even 10th.

Yeah, that's part of the risk, but at the same time it's better than rewarding teams for deliberate ineptitude. Do you think if finishing last had the same value as finishing 14th teams like Buffalo and Arizona and Toronto would have tanked as blatantly as they did? It would make the draft more interesting, spread the talent around more, and force teams to look at other ways to build their teams rather than sucking for picks.

Also, I don't mean just having a draw for the first pick, I mean having a lottery to determine the entire non playoff draft order.

But how do you tell the difference between deliberate ineptitude, and a team that is genuinely the worst. I mean, somebody has to be last whether their trying to or not.

But how do you tell the difference between deliberate ineptitude, and a team that is genuinely the worst. I mean, somebody has to be last whether their trying to or not.

Perhaps they don't. Just don't go with the weighted system. All non-playoff teams are put in a equal lottery system to decide what the draft order is. Done. No favorites.

why do people care if a crap team is perceived to be tanking? It's not like the Canucks were in the hunt for the 1st overall.

I don't know, it's just about sportsmanship. Same as diving. There's just something scummy and abhorrent about deliberately trying to lose in order to draft higher. It's like reverse cheating. If you tried your best and failed, that's alright, you get some assets to help improve. If you deliberately iced a bad team to get those assets I don't think you should be rewarded.

When you make changes to your roster that are obviously intended to make your team finish lower in the standings, it's pretty safe to say it was deliberate. And that's the beauty of even chances at first overall. Not only would teams not try to throw the season, if they did it wouldn't matter.

I sure wouldn't want a team like the kings getting the 1st overall pick.

I'd be happier with a team like them getting it than an organization that stunts or worse, ruins the development of the prospect altogether.

Honestly, I take no joy in slamming the Oilers. But how many top prospects do they have to ruin?

What if you just gave the bottom 10 teams the same odds. Like say 9%. Then all the teams that are legitimately bad have no need to intentionally tank. The teams that are in the 17-20 spots are going to be fighting for a playoff spot anyways, so give the 9th place teams in each conference 1% odds and the 10th place team 3%.

You get a nice clean 100% and the bad teams all have equal odds of winning the draft lotto. That way the teams have no extra motivation to finish last vs 10, and all the teams will be pushing for playoff spots even if they likely won't make it. You won't see huge tank jobs like the Leafs this year happening mid season. You also won't see a lot of bottom feeder teams giving up easy points to some teams in the playoff race at the end of the season with no extra motivation for management to lose.

I mean it's pretty lame if a team that plays Toronto, Edmonton and Buffalo for 5 games in March and April beats out a team for the last spot that has to play against all their games against a team like Winnipeg, St Louis, Boston, LA, ect when they have a ton of motivation to win, and a bunch of extra deadline pickups too.

Archived