The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you discovered what you're good at?

About a year or so ago, I came across this work view that you should NOT follow the adage of "Follow your dreams; anything is possible if you try hard enough." You should figure out what you're good at and do that instead.

The thinking behind it was that anything is possible by ANYONE, but it's a matter of how much effort is put into it.

Someone who has a natural talent for math(s) (for example) requires less of a learning curve, training time, personal effort, and suffers less frustration than someone who lacks talent for math(s). (ie. It would be more efficient to let a person who has the natural talent, do that particular job, than someone else who would have to work 3 times as hard to do the same thing.)

Any thoughts?

Personally, I'm not good at any one thing. I try pretty hard at everything that I do and end up being a jack of all trades, master of none.

1. Have you guys figured out what you've got super skills in?
  2. Are you doing that as a career?

I'm good at connecting with people and figuring out what motivates them. Took me till my late 20's to figure that out. It's my greatest skill. I have leveraged it extensively.

I suggest people do a "Strengthsfinder" quiz.

I was pretty good at graffiti.. but I got too old to risk being arrested for it, and never thought persuing it for any sort of financial gain was worth it - or true to its roots.

Now I'm just good at working hard. King of the grind.

In high school I was good at math and sciences. They just naturally came easier to me than other subjects. Engineering was a good fit so i rolled with it.

I was also good at arts and could have maybe developed that into marketable skills but I gradded high school in 1985. All of the graphic design and 3D animation etc classes didnt exist back then. There was no internet.

For me I separate the two things. My career defines very little about my personality and is just the understanding of an easy to do topic to make as much money as I can without doing strict hours.

My skills are things I take genuine personal interest in and I explore various options. I don't feel you need to be limited to one or two.

Careers for the average person are kind of depressing.

I'm good at connecting with people and figuring out what motivates them. Took me till my late 20's to figure that out. It's my greatest skill. I have leveraged it extensively.

I suggest people do a "Strengthsfinder" quiz.

Strength finder was a good book, however I prefer Marcus' other book Standout. I agree it's a valuable resource though!

I've definitely figured out what I'm good at, but I have no idea what I'd like to pursue as a career choice. And that's slightly concerning, as I'm graduating next year and am expected to have my life more or less all figured out and everything. Damn.

Archived