The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If it won't accept your order on the weekend it may be because you've tagged the order with the incorrect TIF (time in force) setting.

Just spit balling here but they may not accept a TIF of 'day' when the markets are closed. As a 'day' order is only good for the regular session and expires at the end of the day. Try changing the TIF to GTC (good til cancelled) that should accept. Even on a weekend you should be able to submit passive limit orders.

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm trying, but it's just not working.  Always says the date entered is a holiday and I want out before Tuesday

Monday is an American holiday so you'll have to input your trade Tuesday morning between 5 and 6:20am PST if you want pre-market. It has to be a limit order and you should select "Day and Ext Market" under the Good til' tab. You could do an order now of Good til' Tuesday, but I don't think that'll trade in the pre-market. Just remember that trading in the pre-market/after-market is tougher to execute because there is much less volume and higher bid/ask spreads (low liquidity).

Edited by Duodenum

Putting $2500 into each TGOD and NRTH tomorrow.

Do your own DD. Both got deals with Shoppers for distribution, I haven't done deep DD but I like what I see and hear to toss a few thousand into them.

Be safe and average down.

Edited by AriGold2.0

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I want to add Uber to my hold portfolio (the one I don’t touch except to add to)

They’re currently at 34 and change per share.

Their lifetime max has been about 44 per share. 

I love the grub hub acquisition.

Looking for opinions on if 34 is a good entry point or if it’s too high. 

After some digging around, hearing some investors are becoming weary with how defensive Uber is getting with their cash given many large employers approving work from home until the end of the year and possibly beyond, hurting Uber rides 

20 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Oh My God... $MARK..

Buy all dips.. Spend that money.. Remark may be a longterm hold, I'm going back in on Tuesday.

what are you in on MARK at? Going to set up an order...

1 minute ago, inane said:

what are you in on MARK at? Going to set up an order...

I sold for profit.. at 2.33? I think. I don't hang on for too long usually.

Will likely do 3 separate transactions to hopefully average down. Rarely do I do an order in the first 30 minutes of the day. I let it shake out first.

No set goal on entry price, I will just see how pre-market is moving tomorrow and go from there.

3 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Took my Position on TGOD at .50 and NRTH at .32

Missed the NRTH bottom.. 

sc.png

Out of TGOD at .555 Taking my $275 and running.

NRTH is a slow mover, may have to hold overnight which isn’t something I usually like to do.

2 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Out of TGOD at .555 Taking my $275 and running.

NRTH is a slow mover, may have to hold overnight which isn’t something I usually like to do.

so was this planned as a day trade or did it just not take off as expected?

2 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Not speaking for Ari, but from what I read, a lot of investors were disappointed that the news of Shoppers didn't result in a big bump.

Buy the rumour, sell the news. It looked like it already saw its spike 5-6 days back from what  quickly gathered. 

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Buy the rumour, sell the news. It looked like it already saw its spike 5-6 days back from what  quickly gathered. 

Yup.

It was strange to announce the deal after hours (IIRC) on the Friday of a long weekend. I'm sure that messed with some investors strategies. 

9 minutes ago, ThatPope said:

Anyone trade with their TFSA? I'm curious how much trading you can do in it before people come knocking, or if small time traders even register on their radar...

I am not certain but my understanding is that once your TFSA activity exceeds your main source of income they consider your TFSA gains as income. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on this? Perhaps @Lancaster ?

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I am not certain but my understanding is that once your TFSA activity exceeds your main source of income they consider your TFSA gains as income. Perhaps someone else can shed more light on this? Perhaps @Lancaster ?

All gains made in TFSA is non-tax (if you're under contribution limit). 

24 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

All gains made in TFSA is non-tax (if you're under contribution limit). 

This is true, however there is some vague wording around if you are conducting a 'business' in your TFSA (making too many trades/making too many gains) that you could liable for tax owing on income earned in that account...

I'm curious if someone making say 10-20 trades per month on a very modest scale (trading $1000's not tens of thousands) would be an issue or not. 

Edited by ThatPope

14 minutes ago, ThatPope said:

This is true, however there is some vague wording around if you are conducting a 'business' in your TFSA (making too many trades/making too many gains) that you could liable for tax owing on income earned in that account...

Ah yea I see it in the 2019 budget...conducting a business in the TFSA..and they consider (successful) day trading to be conducting business. Lame.

50 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Not speaking for Ari, but from what I read, a lot of investors were disappointed that the news of Shoppers didn't result in a big bump.

I remember TGODs IPO a few years ago...I think it was around $5 per share in the heart of the cannabis boom. I rode the wave of the cannabis stocks. I had stocks that 5x my initial investment. It paid for my grad school tuition basically and allowed me to graduate with no debt... no money but no debt lol :)

That said, I don't see myself going back into that sector anytime soon. It is so volatile and unpredictable, plus there are so many restriction put on dispensaries that it may be limiting the growth of some of the suppliers

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Ah yea I see it in the 2019 budget...conducting a business in the TFSA..and they consider (successful) day trading to be conducting business. Lame.

what counts as successful? That sounds rather vague to me.

3 minutes ago, yoshiyoshi said:

what counts as successful? That sounds rather vague to me.

From what I read quickly online, they were targetting accounts >$250k

Total TFSA room so far is around $55k. 

Doesn't mean they won't target lower amounts later on, probably started with the most successful first. 

They target those that make a lot of transactions + succesful. If you made 3 holy mother trades total and ended up in 6+ figures, they won't target you. 

ok good. i dont mind paying taxes when i take the money out of the account but im barely starting and i dont want to deal with taxes unless i actually have some meaningful amount of success. The TFSA rules are a little weird, this year you can only contribute up to around 69k but taking money out of the account also affects that cap too. Every time i do a trade the cap is lowered by $10 but will reset next year. Not breaking the rules is hard when they are so confusing