The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

16 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Could someone with experience in investing in new lists shed some light on the best way to approach this?

I want to invest in them.

They were listed today.

Do you advise waiting for an initial spike and waiting a couple weeks to buy back in? Or to try and get in now?

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 2.26.48 PM.png

Seems like they’re trying to cash in early on the hype of SHRM. 

I’m not familiar with them, but went to they’re homepage and it seems they can’t afford a half decent front-end developer to build them a website. 

I’d guess you could find an entry point at half the day one share price in a few weeks. 

Central banks are now shadow central banks too

Thu 21 May 2020 16:56:59 GMT

The role of central banks has been perverted

The role of central banks has been perverted

Central banks were designed as the lender-of-last-resort for banks. If people wanted cash and a bank didn't have liquid assets to quickly sell, it could turn to central banks for loans.

Yet over time, central banks have become the lender-of-last-resort (and sometimes first resort) to the entire financial system.

It's especially notable because the coronavirus financial crisis wasn't centered in banks. Stronger capital rules after the financial crisis left banks in generally good shape as the panic hit.

Instead it was the shadow banking system that collapsed. Alternative mortgage lenders needed to be saved; junk bonds were bailed out; commercial paper, repos and munis were saved. Swap lines were set up to protect the dollar-lending market.

Fed balance sheet

The reality is that the Fed has refused to draw a line on who will be saved when the going gets tough. In doing so, they've created a system where everyone can take too much risk because they can count on a backstop.

The proliferation in non-bank lending is to get higher returns or pay lower costs than within the banking system; but evidently with the better reward, there's no greater risk.

It's a broken system that suffers from a lack of a coherent mission beyond the vague 'protect the financial system'. A good financial system protects itself, this one is far too fragile.

Ask yourself: Was it inevitable the Fed would have switched on these new programs? Whether it was this pandemic or some future recession? I have no doubt it would have.

The good news is that the conversation is now beginning about what is to be done to fix it.

There's a great column at Bloomberg that's a great starting point:
No doubt, the Fed has done the right thing in the moment. Without its intervention, the economic damage would be much worse. But the need for such extraordinary measures reveals a deeper problem: Government has all but lost control over the creation of money. In good times, it allows financial institutions the freedom to create all manner of money-like instruments. In bad times, central banks must support those instruments, lest the financial system collapse....

What's actually the aberration? A system in which the government maintains some control over the creation of money, or one in which it must repeatedly devise unprecedented measures to backstop forms of money over which it has no control?

The Fed and other Central Banks are in such a pickle. In late 2018 when they tried to 'normalize' their balance sheet and drew it down from 4.25 trillion to about 3.7 trillion, the equity markets threw an absolute hissy fit. Forcing the Fed to stop and reverse course. Now that balance sheet is like 6.5 trillion.

The inmates are running the asylum.

I'm starting to think all of this stuff about massive government debt and endless money printing doesn't matter when it comes to the U.S. specifically. I'm wondering if it has to do with anything with the USD being the world's reserve currency? 

The world economy is essentially pegged to the U.S. I'm sure that comes with some perks, and I'm wondering if running up endless debt without any repercussions is one of them. 

13 hours ago, Lancaster said:

No history, no mention of volume or value... I'd stay away.

As far as what I can breeze through online... they appear to be a herbal tea/supplement company that's from Vancouver.  

If money is burning a hole in your pocket, throw some money at this stock.  But just be advise that this can easily just be worthless down the line, hover around without any significant change... or the next big thing.  It's all random.... since this is a new IPO on the venture exchange.  

3 hours ago, HI5 said:

Seems like they’re trying to cash in early on the hype of SHRM. 

I’m not familiar with them, but went to they’re homepage and it seems they can’t afford a half decent front-end developer to build them a website. 

I’d guess you could find an entry point at half the day one share price in a few weeks. 

Thanks guys.

Decided to just wait at this point.

17 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm starting to think all of this stuff about massive government debt and endless money printing doesn't matter when it comes to the U.S. specifically. I'm wondering if it has to do with anything with the USD being the world's reserve currency? 

The world economy is essentially pegged to the U.S. I'm sure that comes with some perks, and I'm wondering if running up endless debt without any repercussions is one of them. 

Well your debt has to be attractive. The most attractive thing about the USA is the perceived stability and the rock solid belief that if everything blows up, they will pay their debts. Are they taking advantage of that and perhaps pushing their luck? Could be.

If they go to negative rates and no one else does then it may be time to reassess. In reality, if they go negative everyone else will. So they are still the cleanest dirty shirt.

The world is short US dollars and there is an endless need for them. What else are people going to use? Euros? I don't think so. Japanese Yen? hahaha, Chinese Yuan?, that's funnier than Yen. Gold? That's simply not possible. For the time being the US$ is the only game in town.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, inane said:

image.png.bc593e206eb3c14621d1af1474ba44e6.png

I bought on Apr 2. When do I sell???? It was going to be 800, then 900, then 1000, then 1100....

Nice $core. Perhaps sell half now and let the rest ride. Or set a trailing stop and just keep adjusting it as the stock rises.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Nice $core. Perhaps sell half now and let the rest ride. Or set a trailing stop and just keep adjusting it as the stock rises.

I never know where to set that stop is the rub...

Happy with this though, helps offset the pain I have in BNS and BMO....

15 minutes ago, inane said:

I never know where to set that stop is the rub...

Happy with this though, helps offset the pain I have in BNS and BMO....

shop.jpg

Below those recent candles would be a good spot. That's about $965.

If it keeps going then about $1080 could be a good spot. Watch AMZN as a proxy.

Can't go broke taking profit.

Edited by nuckin_futz

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well your debt has to be attractive. The most attractive thing about the USA is the perceived stability and the rock solid belief that if everything blows up, they will pay their debts. Are they taking advantage of that and perhaps pushing their luck? Could be.

If they go to negative rates and no one else does then it may be time to reassess. In reality, if they go negative everyone else will. So they are still the cleanest dirty shirt.

The world is short US dollars and there is an endless need for them. What else are people going to use? Euros? I don't think so. Japanese Yen? hahaha, Chinese Yuan?, that's funnier than Yen. Gold? That's simply not possible. For the time being the US$ is the only game in town.

Actually, there is some rumbling that post Brexit the pound sterling could once again be a potential back stop for the world currency as it has almost always been entirely stable throughout the centuries.  As most banking systems originated off of a platform from the pound sterling prior to the fiat rule the switch wouldn't be a stretch at all.

Far more reliable than currency that is constantly undervalued or depreciated or at the whim and risk of various angry temperamental governance. 

Plus the UK does not have the threat of endless bailouts hanging over it effectively making the money worth less than the paper it is printed on

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Actually, there is some rumbling that post Brexit the pound sterling could once again be a potential back stop for the world currency as it has almost always been entirely stable throughout the centuries.  As most banking systems originated off of a platform from the pound sterling prior to the fiat rule the switch wouldn't be a stretch at all.

Far more reliable than currency that is constantly undervalued or depreciated or at the whim and risk of various angry temperamental governance. 

Plus the UK does not have the threat of endless bailouts hanging over it effectively making the money worth less than the paper it is printed on

200.gif

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

200.gif

If things keep going the way they are, it may very well happen.  I cannot see much in the way of world governments acquiescing to American corporations who effectively control the entire global economy including everything from loans to interest rates without any risk due to US fed intervention

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

The Swiss franc serves the purpose. The franc's value is regularly boosted by people wanting to hold a currency that counters the USD. The franc climbs in value and makes Swiss export goods expensive. The Swiss government actually buys foreign assets to lower the franc's value. They buy currency and shares in foreign companies. They are actually the 8th largest public investor in the world. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The Swiss franc serves the purpose. The franc's value is regularly boosted by people wanting to hold a currency that counters the USD. The franc climbs in value and makes Swiss export goods expensive. The Swiss government actually buys foreign assets to lower the franc's value. They buy currency and shares in foreign companies. They are actually the 8th largest public investor in the world. 

Now THAT is actually an interesting thought.

The Swiss have some of the strictest and most observable banking and economic practices on the planet for a democratic nation.  This is not to say they haven't been a tax haven for ever, but more that you're right.  That they would based on the value of their laws and currency be a viable option

54 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Now THAT is actually an interesting thought.

The Swiss have some of the strictest and most observable banking and economic practices on the planet for a democratic nation.  This is not to say they haven't been a tax haven for ever, but more that you're right.  That they would based on the value of their laws and currency be a viable option

Switzerland is tiny. It's a nation of only 8.5 million people and in GDP terms is the 21st largest country. They trail Netherlands, Indonesia, Spain, Australia. Even the Italian economy is nearly triple their size. How are they going to fund the world?

They are among the biggest currency manipulators on the planet. They have been employing negative interest rates for a long time. They have a Central Bank that has little remaining credibility. Just look at the SNB (Swiss National Bank) crisis. Where the SNB pegged the Franc at 1.2 Francs to the Euro in 2011. Then one morning in 2015 without a word of warning to anyone abandoned the peg and sent the value of the Franc rocketing 35% in seconds. Imagine the USD shooting up 35% in seconds and the fallout from that.

The implications of abandoning the peg were massive and widespread. For example, some European countries like Poland denominate mortgages in Swiss Francs. Imagine waking up one morning to find you suddenly owe 35% more on your mortgage because of a goofy foreign central bank?

Swiss Franc, not a good candidate.

I will tell you guys right now.. If we have a red day tomorrow, which I fully expect and we get any bad news in the world on the US long weekend This may happen..

The pattern is almost exact from Jan 2018 and Oct 2018.. Bull Trap in all its glory.. My cash is ready for it! (For the chart below I do believe we're at the "Return To Normal" phase)

(Chart directly below is SPY)

image.thumb.png.e266382c306a7f7f328c8dd4fdcf9469.png

The Great Bear Trap (Bull Trap) | Seeking Alpha

Edited by AriGold2.0
  • Upvote 1